Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
09-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
Are you sure it's isn't more like Time = pow(Time, Time)?
X^X ? I wouldn't want to be anywhere near something that had that in it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
09-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
The UI suffers from being CPU bound, and single threaded. Both of those problems are non-trivial to solve and changes we can trivially make don't typically achieve noticeable gains. With that said, we do know about it and we are looking for solutions.
I do not envy you the task of figuring that one out. *shiver*
At least now I know *why* my inventory screen is best used away from VFX like interaction flashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
Are you sure it's isn't more like Time = pow(Time, Time)?

Also, if you send me that magic wand you have there.... I'll get started on making the UI 20% more cooler.
Just for kicks you have to re-code the whole thing in Assembler, starting now, in ten seconds flat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
09-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Just for kicks you have to re-code the whole thing in Assembler, starting now, in ten seconds flat.
Why not make it a real challange and say they have to code it in binary. I am sure they can get a few Binars together to bang out new code and such.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
09-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Just for kicks you have to re-code the whole thing in Assembler, starting now, in ten seconds flat.
Hey, now, I have fond memories of my Assembler class...!


... Yeah, I'm weird. But it felt like a more pure form of coding, you know? I could do absolutely NOTHING at all with it, but it was fun getting that deep into the guts!

That being said, if I had to choose between a high-level language and Assembler... *clutches Perl to his chest and growls* MEIN!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
Hey, now, I have fond memories of my Assembler class...!
I have much fonder memories of Assembler than C actually.
It may have just been the difference between teachers, but Assembler feels less contorted and painful.

On a random side note, when people ask if there is much difference between C and C++ I ask them in turn if there is much difference between living in a cardboard box eating dirt, and living in a 4 star hotel eating take out of your choice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
If your looking for high Qualilty LCARs maybe you should take a look here www.ufplanets.com

Very good looking LCARs and very cannon...maybe this will help you know what style of LCARs you are looking for.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
09-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfuZion View Post
If your looking for high Qualilty LCARs maybe you should take a look here www.ufplanets.com

Very good looking LCARs and very cannon...maybe this will help you know what style of LCARs you are looking for.
If that makes it into the game my eyes are gonna bleed. Its not that it doesn't look Trek or look good its that it hurt to read just what was on the front page. If I had to read something with that color scheme the whole time I played STO then the UI would force me to play less to avoid eye strain headaches. Two years later theirs now way I'm gonna find a source for this but that was the reason before launch for the UI not getting the TNG era treatment.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
09-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
The UI suffers from being CPU bound, and single threaded. Both of those problems are non-trivial to solve and changes we can trivially make don't typically achieve noticeable gains. With that said, we do know about it and we are looking for solutions.
Could this be a contributing factor to my frame rate dropping significantly when their are many NPC ships on screen each with UI elements attached to them?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
09-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
Could this be a contributing factor to my frame rate dropping significantly when their are many NPC ships on screen each with UI elements attached to them?
That was a separate bug, it should have been fixed since sometime mid-September.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
09-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingSky
The UI suffers from being CPU bound, and single threaded.
Ah. That certainly explains why my game client comes to screeching halts on certain massive UI updates.

Quote:
Both of those problems are non-trivial to solve and changes we can trivially make don't typically achieve noticeable gains.
And explains why it's been that way since the CO beta. A non-trivial fix, indeed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.