Lt. Commander
# 21
10-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJedi
Photons recharge faster than Quantums, but Quantums travel significantly and noticeably faster than Photons.
Yes, I think this thread may have gotten confused with the "speed" we were talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
I swear photons ae fastest than quantums?
Quantum Torpedoes travel substancially faster then Photon Torpedoes. But Har'peng Torpedoes are new speed kings. Even with the old 3 second cool down on Torpedoes, a Har'pen launched after a Quantum Torpedo would almost almost first at moderate to long range range.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
ya right quantums are faster the photons, I use both and photons are faster the quantums. I don't know where you got that conclusion from. It is also canon atm that photons are faster but since sto is set way after nemesis its is possible that quantums obviously have improved alot. Wasn't it said that quantums were going to replace photons?
Not hard canon, but I think that Photon Torpedoes are still used a lot because of their flexibility. You can vary the yield of the Photon Torpedoes. And from soft canon, the Quantum Torpedoes are like a fusion warhead. Likewise they used a used an initiator charge to massive cascade energy release. That means a Quantum Torpedo is all or nothing in terms of yield.

A good example of that difference in game is "Cutting the Cord" mission of the Reman FE. In that mission you find a am architectural arch is a hidden Iconan Gateway. You order you ship to destroy it. With you being so near the arch, your ship doesn't use a full yield Photon Torpedo which is 43 Megatons in real work numbers (based on how much antimatter is in one). Use a several Torpedoes with tiny yields is enough to pulverize the arch without take you and the entire country side.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Not hard canon, but I think that Photon Torpedoes are still used a lot because of their flexibility. You can vary the yield of the Photon Torpedoes. And from soft canon, the Quantum Torpedoes are like a fusion warhead. Likewise they used a used an initiator charge to massive cascade energy release. That means a Quantum Torpedo is all or nothing in terms of yield.

A good example of that difference in game is "Cutting the Cord" mission of the Reman FE. In that mission you find a am architectural arch is a hidden Iconan Gateway. You order you ship to destroy it. With you being so near the arch, your ship doesn't use a full yield Photon Torpedo which is 43 Megatons in real work numbers (based on how much antimatter is in one). Use a several Torpedoes with tiny yields is enough to pulverize the arch without take you and the entire country side.

Canonly photons are faster than quantums but quantums are powerful out of the two. Source St first contact, insurrection and nemesis plus memory alpha. Quantum torpedoes have plasma warheads as mentioned in memory alpha.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Canonly photons are faster than quantums but quantums are powerful out of the two. Source St first contact, insurrection and nemesis plus memory alpha. Quantum torpedoes have plasma warheads as mentioned in memory alpha.
Best thing to do is to test them out on one of the tribbles. If you can manage to keep an enemies shield down and stay in that arc to enjoy the photons higher rate of fire, go for it. Otherwise Quantums are a better choice.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Personally use Chronitons in my Gal. Retrofit's forward slot, for the proc, and because I don't have enemies in front of me often enough to need to capitalize on the cooldown, and a tri-cobalt in back for any tac guy who thinks he's clever.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Best thing to do is to test them out on one of the tribbles. If you can manage to keep an enemies shield down and stay in that arc to enjoy the photons higher rate of fire, go for it. Otherwise Quantums are a better choice.
no need tested it on the holodeck and watched other players with photon and quantums. Photons a faster than quantums.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
no need tested it on the holodeck and watched other players with photon and quantums. Photons a faster than quantums.
As long as it works for you. I usually like to try things on Tribble before I spend anything.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
As long as it works for you. I usually like to try things on Tribble before I spend anything.
cool. TBH i'm now using my mark 11 tos phasers 4 of these and 4 quantums instead 2 photons and two quantums.