Lt. Commander
# 11
09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
While I'm not one to usually complain, this does seem a bit odd as it's just a pet. They also don't look like they did in TNG which is disappointing.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Non Combat Pet...in that case i would have prefered a Beagle.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Since the Exo comps are just pets, and they don't actually do anything for you.. I see no reason to purchase them at this time. Perhaps when F2P goes live and I start getting my Stipend points...But for now, I think I'll hold off on that purchase.

Now if they gave a bonus towards things Engineers did, or if they could be used in combat but only as defenseive helpers (They had the Frabrication Kit, but only for the Shield Generator and Health Generator, Maybe even force field dome) maybe..
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
What's the point of these?
its just a pet. like the targ pup or the shuttles. they dont do anything but follow you around. its a long standing mmo tradition to have things follow you around.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Oh BOY!!! Grab my credit card! I am going to rush over to the C-Store and buy this!!!!! Me first! Me first!!

No, sorry, I am not. (apologizes for the snarkness.) But here is some feedback that may not get me banned: This item strikes me as silly and pointless and reaching for "low hanging fruit" again as the art asset was already in the game.

If this is a sign of the quality and level of thought of things yet to come in the upcoming game changes, I am very worried.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Problem:

"Originally developed in the mid-24th century for industrial use, the first exocomps were designed to be problem solvers. Due to the adaptive nature of their design, these exocomps evolved, gaining sentience. 1.These new lifeforms were given the materials and freedom to develop and could not be forced into Federation service without their consent. Later, non-sentient variations on these first designs, created in cooperation with the first exocomps, 2. replaced the micro-replicator that allowed the exocomps to create new circuit pathways with a more limited set of tools.

3. Now a companion model of exocomp is available for Federation captains! The companion exocomp is a summonable, non-combat pet. It does not use a device slot, but must be in your inventory to be summoned.

Note: 4. Purchase of this option unlocks the pet for all Federation characters on an account."

1. A sentient "species" created dumber versions of itself to be the slaves?? Am I reading this right?

2. The description says the "new 'dumb'" Exocomps have tools... So wouldn't that mean they were useful? and not a non-combat "pet"?

3. A fully capable, sentient Exocomp Engineer Bridge Officer would make vastly more sense. Instead of this non-sentient, only fluff, "DROID" that flys away screaming when a Gorn rawrs at it!!...

4. I'm actually not mad about it being Fed only, since it it is a nonsense fluff item.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoom
What's the point of these?

More to the point:

Why do I want to spend c-points on this?
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutunto
Exocomp is like BOOO-BOOOO-BOOOOO give us something that can be summoned and can fight abd stays summoned as long as you are doingn the mission, like your BOFF squad. You are just paying for glitter.
You know, that was the original intent of the c-store when it was first launched, was for 'glitter'.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
Problem:

"Originally developed in the mid-24th century for industrial use, the first exocomps were designed to be problem solvers. Due to the adaptive nature of their design, these exocomps evolved, gaining sentience. 1.These new lifeforms were given the materials and freedom to develop and could not be forced into Federation service without their consent. Later, non-sentient variations on these first designs, created in cooperation with the first exocomps, 2. replaced the micro-replicator that allowed the exocomps to create new circuit pathways with a more limited set of tools.

Now a companion model of exocomp is available for Federation captains! The companion exocomp is a summonable, non-combat pet. It does not use a device slot, but must be in your inventory to be summoned.

Note: Purchase of this option unlocks the pet for all Federation characters on an account."

1. A sentient "species" created dumber versions of itself to be the slaves?? Am I reading this right?

2. The description says the "new 'dumb'" Exocomps have tools... So wouldn't that mean they were useful? and not a non-combat "pet"?

A fully capable, sentient Exocomp Engineer Bridge Officer would make vastly more sense. Instead of this non-sentient, only fluff, "DROID" that flys away screaming when a Gorn rawrs at it!!...
they are not 'dumb' they are non sentient versions, there is a difference. like a replicator. it can understand commands but it has no self awareness. the proper exocomps do have self awareness.

so they are not slaves, they are just tools that know how to fire a weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
The least you can do is make them active during combat, and have it give you a subsystem repair buff... if it's a ground pet it could repair machines that are laid by engineers.

But Exocomps are TOOLS for quickly and efficiently repairing broken systems increasing repair time and reducing risk of injury in hazardous environments. Why not make it functional? This is just silly as a non-functional pet!

If it was functional.... even just a minor ship repair buff for having it in your inventory, I'd buy it. But as of now it's a tool that doesn't work. I'd look like a fool haveing a non-functioning exocomp following me around.