Lt. Commander
# 31
09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Lame. Re-hash something from the game already, and thow it in the c-store. What will be next?

You guys should be giving non combat pets out for free, for all the subs who have paid for you to develop all the c-store items your dumping into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
because these are not dumber versions. thats your word. they are non sentient. dumber is not the same thing as non sentient. data is sentient, as far as any android can be. B4 was sentient but was dumber than data. these exocomps are just the basic version that has no self awareness at all.

look at the computer on every ship. its incredibly intelligent but its not self aware. it has no personality, or conciousness. its just a interactive database. is every federation ship a slave? is every replicator? no because they are not self aware, just tools. they have a certain level of understanding of commands but they dont ever think for themselves.
So when people do it, it's wrong, but when sentient machines do it, it's okay?
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
It can be fun to have pets in the game, but I've found I don't really use those that I already have. Therefore, I think I'll pass on this. I don't even care if my Klingons aren't offered an equivalent. Exocomp pets don't seem very Klingon to me.

All that said, I suspect this was more a function of time than anything. They try to release something to the C-Store every two weeks, and they seem pretty busy to me right now. I'm guessing this may have been something they could get in the game easily with the resources they have available.
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
So when people do it, it's wrong, but when sentient machines do it, it's okay?
no you are not understanding me. there is a massive difference between a human and a machine. basically we cant make non sentient humans. if you are a human, you are sentient, you can be different levels of intelligent but you are always sentient. even if you are some slave with no education what so ever, you are always sentient.

if you take a phaser and put a sentient exocomp 'brain' in it then its still sentient but instead of looking like an exocomp it now looks like a phaser. it can think for itself just like a exocomp could, it can make decisions, it can refuse to do something it does not want to do. its sentient.

if you take a phaser and put a simple targeting computer on it its still just a phaser. that is all they have done. these non sentient versions just look like the smart ones. they are in fact just tools that only have set commands. they cant think for themselves, they cant make decisions, they only follow a set of commands just like a computer. non of that makes it dumb, it makes it non sentient.
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Looks cool, I bought it. Would be great if I could have multiple pets summoned at the same time just like the shuttles.
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I would have preferred the exocomp as a 600 day veteran reward, but since they are in the store i plan to use a few point of my stipend for them... somewhere in the far future.
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-29-2011, 12:07 PM
The Exocomp should not be a non-combat summonable pet unless you're doing what was done with the Hortas, and giving them a combat option later.

Honestly, a SENTIENT exocomp should really be a BOff. Not a non-combat pet.

I'd pay more c-store points for a BOff than I would a pet. Seriously, having a 'pet' just stinks. :p

(I'd have to really, I'd need to buy BOff slots)
Lt. Commander
# 38
09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
no you are not understanding me. there is a massive difference between a human and a machine. basically we cant make non sentient humans. if you are a human, you are sentient, you can be different levels of intelligent but you are always sentient. even if you are some slave with no education what so ever, you are always sentient.

if you take a phaser and put a sentient exocomp 'brain' in it then its still sentient but instead of looking like an exocomp it now looks like a phaser. it can think for itself just like a exocomp could, it can make decisions, it can refuse to do something it does not want to do. its sentient.

if you take a phaser and put a simple targeting computer on it its still just a phaser. that is all they have done. these non sentient versions just look like the smart ones. they are in fact just tools that only have set commands. they cant think for themselves, they cant make decisions, they only follow a set of commands just like a computer. non of that makes it dumb, it makes it non sentient.
Thou i totally disagrre with your opinion, I'm going to respectfully bow out of this discussion before I get too heated.

So lets discuss other problems with this situation could be improved shall we?

Like say...
The Exocomp Non-Combat pet is only a Fluff item that costs 120 C-Points and runs away squealing when a Gorn rawrs at it... (Droid?)
Aenar and Catain Boffs are useable/trainable/transferable/USEFUL and 100 C-Ponts...
Why the disparity?
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks but I'm sorry but Exocomps have been used by the USS Worker Bee for years now. Nothing new here. http://www.stogeek.com/wiki/USS_Worker_Bee
Lt. Commander
# 40
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
well... if were using npcs as pets... I want a Undine Terradome commander pet!