Lt. Commander
# 1 Miranda class under armed?
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
As I play back through the tutorial on Tribble, I realize that the Miranda (Tier 1) has no aft torpedo launchers. Even in the 23rd century the Reliant had aft launchers. Every NPC ship I go against at my level has aft launchers. Just curious as to why this is. If there is a thread that deals with this than forgive me for posting this here. But it just didn't make sense to me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2011, 10:53 AM
BoPs, Corvettes, and other frigates, don't have aft torps actually. The warships and battleships do however, but they're supposed to be more difficult. I've always tried to stay beside them and out of a the line of fire.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2011, 10:57 AM
When the Enterprise was chasing the Reliant through the Mutara Nebula, in the scene after Sulu tried to fire manually, Khan tries to fire a torpedo from the aft launcher, but it misses completely. So even in that century, the launchers existed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Can't you put a torpedo in the aft weapon spot?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compston View Post
BoPs, Corvettes, and other frigates, don't have aft torps actually.
I was just in the Lackey mission and a Vishap Frigate just launched an aft Torp at me. So unless that is a total graphics error or a bug...
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaymon View Post
Can't you put a torpedo in the aft weapon spot?
You can, but then you no longer have your aft beam array. Which the Miranda class also should have.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therunn
You can, but then you no longer have your aft beam array. Which the Miranda class also should have.
In canon, the Miranda had no aft beam weapons.

Though if you wanted to go by canon, the Miranda had a ton of forward beams (though it just kept firing the bank on the 'roll bar' over and over, the same as the Enterprise kept firing the same torpedo launcher even before it had taken damage).
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Would you pay money for an extra rear weapon slot on your Miranda? If so cryptic, may be inclined to build a Miranda .5 ; another ship for the c-store.

I don't think it's worth it. It's the starter ship. It's supposed to be cr@p. Is it under powered as far as weapons go? Well that depends on what your comparing it to.

I'd rather they committed assets elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inktomi19d View Post
In canon, the Miranda had no aft beam weapons.

Though if you wanted to go by canon, the Miranda had a ton of forward beams (though it just kept firing the bank on the 'roll bar' over and over, the same as the Enterprise kept firing the same torpedo launcher even before it had taken damage).
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class states there were beam banks below the impulse engines.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
You can just blame it on the Federation Budget... With all the production facilities taken up by Star Cruisers and Retrofits production, cut-backs have to be made somewhere...