Lt. Commander
# 21
10-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I love reading the boards as of late. Honestly the fever of F2P has made all these threads so entertaining.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-01-2011, 10:50 AM
This came up on the forums for another game that had just gone free to play.

No idea who is spreading this idea about the place, but i wish they would stow it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemistiD View Post
Okay, I apologize for asking. My last major experience with an MMO was Phantasy Star Online, which was quite a long time ago. I've never really followed the industry as a whole before STO, and it was simply an innocent question.

A question which was answered. So could we skip the negativity and/or snarling?
Well technically speaking your questions has some grounds in reality.
If Cryptic ever made a change to the way data about characters was stored, and that change was enormously different from the way they're stored now, then there might be a situation where there would have to be a wipe.

Thankfully the chances of this seem about as remote as the Borg surrendering, but nobody would be happy about it if it did happen thats for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
If there is a character wipe on holo, which i don't think will, i'm gone.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
While i may disagree with the way cryptic is handling the pr aspect of this transition.......i can't fathom where you guys came up with this crap.

There are enough things for people to justifiably be upset about without people coming up with completely rediculous ideas of waht they're concerned cryptic might do......there is NOTHING to indicate they would consider doing a wipe of holodec.....seriously knock it off.....
Indeed--besides, why bother doing a wipe themselves, when they can just make everything you have earned so worthless that you might as well do the wipe *yourself* and start over fresh?
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
There is no wipe of Holodeck planned. All of your current characters will be available, as they are now, on the Holodeck server, once the Free-to-play transition has been completed.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
There is no wipe of Holodeck planned. All of your current characters will be available, as they are now, on the Holodeck server, once the Free-to-play transition has been completed.

Thanks,

Stormshade
threadsidetrack

And all Foundry missions as well right Stormy? Including the fixes that presently exist on Tribble?

/endthreadsidetrack
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
If this happened I would probably ragequit.

This is coming from a guy that tends to slant in favor of Cryptic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
I could see how , with the wording of the statement, one could stretch thought to think a wipe may occur.

To be honest I doubt it very very highly, though if it did happen I think that many players would not bother to return.
Well the issue is that Cryptic doesnt really care about the current users, they just care about the new f2p users, not those who already bought the half c-store and are no source for more money any more.
And if those new users benefit in some way from our chars beeing wiped they are gone at once. Thats the new way to go obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

Thanks,

Stormshade
That sounds familiar. Sounds almost like "There are no plans for STO going free to play", postet by the exact same StormShade just 2 days before f2p was announced. That doesnt give me any comfort.

But however, since there is no point in a Holodeck wipe I dont really EXPECT one to happen, I just wouldnt be suprised.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
That sounds familiar. Sounds almost like "There are no plans for STO going free to play", postet by the exact same StormShade just 2 days before f2p was announced. That doesnt give me any comfort. .
That is because it wasn't suppose to be announced yet. He probably wasn't allowed to say it was happening.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuskin
That is because it wasn't suppose to be announced yet. He probably wasn't allowed to say it was happening.
You could apply that logic to the wipe question too. :p