Lt. Commander
# 1 Path to F2P Dev Blog #3
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
This next entry in our Path to Free-to-Play Dev Blog series presents a detailed look at the new Duty Officer System, available to try out now on the Tribble F2P test server!

Link to F2P Dev Blog #3
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the overview Heretic!

So if you obtain a teir 1 unlock in one category, and a tier 1 unlock in another is that double the reward? or will it only count for the 1st time you unlock tier 1 in any category?

Sorry to be all talk about rewards - only my Doffs are already all out on assignment, I hope none come back into sickbay!

Are the times all:

45 m
1 hour
12 hours
1 day
2 day
3 days?
or any other time slots?
And funniest missions so far 'tribble gene splicing'.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
*nevermind*
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Gain enough commendation points in a category in order to gain unique duty officers and, in some cases, even bridge officers that canít be earned by other means.

As a bonus, playing on Tribble can earn your character on Holodeck some free random Duty Officers, awarded within the three weeks after free-to-play goes live on Holodeck. Complete any Tier 1 Duty Officer commendation category accolade to receive an unique blue-quality duty officer. Complete any Tier 2 Duty Officer commendation category accolade to receive an unique purple-quality duty officer. Complete any Tier 3 Duty Officer commendation category accolade to receive a unique purple-quality duty officer with an active roster ability not attainable anywhere else in the game.
These parts constitute promises of what's to come.

If:
  • These rewards do not show up on time, it can be forgiven.
  • These rewards do not occur, or are scaled back, it cannot be.
  • The rewards you say are exclusive wind up on the C-Store, it will be thrown in your face again, and again, and again, don't do that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Will you only be able to get the blue and purple doffs on the character you create on tribble once it goes free to play? or will your blue and purple officers be given to current character on holodeck?
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-30-2011, 08:54 PM
After reading through the initial postings about the Doff system (the wall of text, as it was so aptly named), I thought that it might take a while to get to grips with it. However, now it's finally arrived on the F2P test server, I can see I was wrong..

Throw a couple of random Doff''s into the assignment, wait for a period of time to elapse, & hey presto, job done... nice simple reward earnt... OR.... (to paraphrase), "Put your thinking cap on", & spend a few minutes studying it & the Doff system could give even better rewards...

The complexity of this is staggering, & I know that the STO community will see the possibilty for depth of play, that the game has been short of, for the last few months... No wonder that you, (the dev team), held off on it's release. I can only guess at the amount of time/coding it took to get it working.. (I say with everything crossed that it is bug free)..

I will be spending alot of my game time tinkering with this, as I'm sure will others...

Big round of applause to all involved...

Now if only I could have my (1st year Anniversary) Q's fountain, Fed Targ pup pet back, I'd be an even happier bunny...
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Question: if I level diplomacy on Tribble (using a combination of Doff and mission) will I still get the rewards?

Also, from what I have seen so far, the doff system is amazing (nice job Heretic! ).

Got assignments on the go at the moment, and I'm really looking forward to getting my main onto Tribble to test it further.

One feature I would like to see added, is a little notification when the assignments reset, so I know there are new ones to grab.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Will the first officer/ department head options for your Boffs be released concurrent with the Doff system, or will it come later?
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
So if you obtain a teir 1 unlock in one category, and a tier 1 unlock in another is that double the reward? or will it only count for the 1st time you unlock tier 1 in any category?

45 m
1 hour
12 hours
1 day
2 day
3 days?
or any other time slots?
Only the first time; we actually had a very involved set of discussions trying to find a way to make it work for multiple categories, but it wound up being incredibly impractical, logistically speaking.

Other times: 5m, 10m, 15m, 30m, 2h, 4h, 8h, 7d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCat
Will you only be able to get the blue and purple doffs on the character you create on tribble once it goes free to play? or will your blue and purple officers be given to current character on holodeck?
I believe it is any character on Holodeck, same as the special tribbles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firix
Question: if I level diplomacy on Tribble (using a combination of Doff and mission) will I still get the rewards?

One feature I would like to see added, is a little notification when the assignments reset, so I know there are new ones to grab.
Regarding Diplomacy, yes.

Assignments notify when reset by the icon in the HUD blinking - if that's not in yet on the current build it will be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey47 View Post
Will the first officer/ department head options for your Boffs be released concurrent with the Doff system, or will it come later?
The department head system will come later.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm curious.. and this question is unrelated to the DOff system. I was under the impression we were to receive a skill point revamp.. merged ship commanding skills and what not. Is that still happening later in the beta or has it been shelved for the time being?