Lt. Commander
# 31
10-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by segma View Post
I'm curious.. and this question is unrelated to the DOff system. I was under the impression we were to receive a skill point revamp.. merged ship commanding skills and what not. Is that still happening later in the beta or has it been shelved for the time being?
The space skill tree revamp is still happening; we are hoping to have it in for the launch of F2P, in which case it will appear later in the beta. It is the next major task on Geko's plate, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidrain View Post
So, are you stating that all leveling of BOs will be on a time progression in which you have stated here and if so, and if it is going to be accomplished correctly then you will have to off balance that time progression with that of content in which will be needed to offset that time instead of grinding? I agree that this game needs some type of time progression, but at the same time it has to be offset by content in which also plays a role in the next leveling or obtaining materials in order to successfully met that criteria.
The times listed are the current possible assignment times for the duty officer system. The times do not have any relation with leveling commendations or anything else. I may not have understood your response correctly, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldCodger
I've noticed the "Doff" passive's kicking in, when I use the relevant skill, indicated by a timer on the Hud. When the timer runs out, obviously so does the passive... But... Does the passive re-activate after a period of time, or is it a "one-shot" ???... Scratch this one... I think the timer may refer to one of the "Skill bonus plaques" that I picked up as an assignment reward, although I don't remember activating it.. (my bad..lol)

It has been stated that more Doffs can be aqquired via game time/missions... I have yet to find any... "Where at be they, please".. (LOL, my four year old granddaughters way of asking where her sweets are)...
The duty officer active roster passive abilities either happen anytime you use that ability, or on a chance every time you use the ability.

For the timer on the HUD, that is a buff from an assignment, and will not reappear until you do that assignment again.

To acquire more duty officers inside the system rather than through the C-Store, the most reliable way is to go to Earth Space Dock and Starfleet Academy and check the duty officer user interface there for assignments to recruit more duty officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFO-OptimusPrime View Post
Kinda reminds me of the skill training times that are used in Eve, which works for me because it makes the game feel a little more realistic. Some away missions did take several days to a week, well least in some TNG, DS9, and Voyager episodes.
I am actually quite a fan of EVE and a lot of the way they do things. EVE was definitely an influence on the way we designed this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th
Now on a seperate point - I feel the DOff system needs more hand holding at first, a bit of tutorial to guide you through the first steps. I've tried it, used it, but not convinced I'm using it right or well. Maybe it's worth some thought? Don't know what other people thing.
Yes, we're definitely aware that the system needs more introductory handholding and are working to find a way to get more of that in by the time F2P launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsches123
So, can we earn 1 blue + 1 purple + 1 special purple DO overall, or can we earn these 3 per commendation category, meaning, we could theoretically grind for 12 blues + 12 purples +12 special purples?
I don't know if there's enough time for that during the test phase, but it would be pretty cool.
Originally, we wanted to do it by tier by commendation category, but for logistical reasons it proved not feasible, so in this case it will mean a maximum of three unique duty officers, as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldCodger
Further investigation has proved my previous guess, that the "Assignment Buff rewards", auto-activate as soon as you pick them up.. Which is a bit of a waste really (depending on what you receive)...
As an Engineer, my "+6 to Modification Training", which is a "ground" skill, is running while I'm in space !!!, Likewise the "+6 to Energy Weapons training", (space skill), is running while I'm on the ground... Yeah okay... Maybe "modification" to this is needed ?? Like being able to choose when to activate it...
We want to avoid too much stacking all at once, otherwise we would have made these activatable items, but I will look into seeing if we can have the buffs delay until you are in the appropriate region - ground or space - for that buff. Not sure offhand how we could pull that off, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmera
on that note thou, how many days do we have remaining til this goes live, and what do we have to do for the accolades to get the purple special? anyone know yet?
The special duty officers are gained by the highest tier you gain in any commendation category. Tiers are gained by doing assignments of specific types like Engineering or Science or Espionage.

As for how long this will be on Tribble, we haven't officially announced this, but I can say this is going to be a robust period of testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand_Altair
Does the highlighted part mean that we have to wait until F2P goes live before we can pursue the commendations or may we start today and then look forward to receiving the rewards within the first 3 weeks after F2P goes live?
Start today on the commendations on Tribble; the rewards will be available on Holodeck several weeks after F2P goes live.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
Originally, we wanted to do it by tier by commendation category, but for logistical reasons it proved not feasible, so in this case it will mean a maximum of three unique duty officers, as I recall.
How will we get these duty officers on our Holodeck characters? Will every Holodeck character get them, do we get to choose which character gets them, or does only the copy of the same character we used on Tribble get them?

Also, say my friend maxes out Diplomacy, and I max out Engineering, will the officer he gets be Diplomatic, and mine an Engineer, or are we getting the same duty officers?
Lt. Commander
# 33 thank you
10-01-2011, 11:48 PM
thank you for answering my questions heretic. im hoping by robust you mean atleast a month or two. i would really like to have the special DOff unlocked that way i would have just about everything but the TOS admiral tunic unlocked, and i dont even know where anyone got it.

anyways thanks again, now i just need to farm to Lt Cmdr and see how the Accolades work for this.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Thanks. This should make it easier for most people. Just have to get 720 DXP to unlock all the Doff Tribble rewards instead of 720 DXP and 50,000 XP in the other categories or whatever it gets reduced to.
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Tempting incentive to start up a character on this to test it out. But question is, are the rewards for making it to those points only going to be for those who make a new character on Tribble or will we eligible for them if we wait for the ability to transfer? Iíll be honest, Iím a one character player and donít care for alts. I have a lot invested in my character and donít really want to take the time to build another one be it a throw away that will be just for testing. Call me what you will, thatís just the way I play. Itís just like the ability to roll over your BOffs into an alt captain that you guys are looking to add to the game. Iím not going to do it.

Speaking of that, Iím sure this question belongs elsewhere but donít know where to ask it. I have four BOffs that long ago during the beginning of the game glitched out when I was promoting them, somehow were promoted to captain. Which isnít supposed to happen and doesnít happen anymore. Is that going to effect me with the BOff to captain rollover ability youíre looking to add?
Lt. Commander
# 36 Hmmmm...
10-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm curious to know if there will still be a Lifetime Sub option after the game goes F2P. I hope Heretic might be able to answer this question!
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally_of_the_Force View Post
Tempting incentive to start up a character on this to test it out. But question is, are the rewards for making it to those points only going to be for those who make a new character on Tribble or will we eligible for them if we wait for the ability to transfer? Iíll be honest, Iím a one character player and donít care for alts. I have a lot invested in my character and donít really want to take the time to build another one be it a throw away that will be just for testing. Call me what you will, thatís just the way I play. Itís just like the ability to roll over your BOffs into an alt captain that you guys are looking to add to the game. Iím not going to do it.

Speaking of that, Iím sure this question belongs elsewhere but donít know where to ask it. I have four BOffs that long ago during the beginning of the game glitched out when I was promoting them, somehow were promoted to captain. Which isnít supposed to happen and doesnít happen anymore. Is that going to effect me with the BOff to captain rollover ability youíre looking to add?
It is for getting any character to Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. You can use your current character, but if Diplomacy is maxed out, then it might take longer for one of the other commendations. The level rewards are the only rewards that are for new character. Not sure how transferred characters that are at a low level will work.
Lt. Commander
# 38
10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklinaar
How will we get these duty officers on our Holodeck characters? Will every Holodeck character get them, do we get to choose which character gets them, or does only the copy of the same character we used on Tribble get them?

Also, say my friend maxes out Diplomacy, and I max out Engineering, will the officer he gets be Diplomatic, and mine an Engineer, or are we getting the same duty officers?
The duty officer rewards will be picked up the same way and I believe using the same rules as when you have gotten a tribble in previous Tribble server test cycles.

The unique duty officers are unique, so yes, they'll be the same. Tier up in the categories that interest you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Thanks. This should make it easier for most people. Just have to get 720 DXP to unlock all the Doff Tribble rewards instead of 720 DXP and 50,000 XP in the other categories or whatever it gets reduced to.
In theory, once everything is tuned Diplomacy shouldn't really be any faster, at least if you aren't already doing Diplomacy missions in addition to Diplomacy assignments.

Since the purpose of the rewards is to test the system, however, we would appreciate it if you focused on Diplomacy assignments to acquire these rewards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally_of_the_Force View Post

These should be available on transferred characters as well as far as I know, but I will confirm.

The Bridge officer to Captain rollover is something that is a ways off, so I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 39
10-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Yes, we're definitely aware that the system needs more introductory handholding and are working to find a way to get more of that in by the time F2P launches.
I was thinking about this very thing last night... There are the mini "tutorial" type missions for crafting, commodities and injuries, what about adding another one for the duty officer system and group all of them together?

Here's the concept...

After completing the current tutorial, you report back to ESD and report to Quinn. Then, your next mission is to beam down to SFA and complete all the mini tutorial type missions. Make them repeatable the same way other missions are in case someone needs a refresher course. After that then you report back to Quinn and you're ready to dive into the game. As new things are added to the game, you can just add in another contact at SFA to explain the details.

I think it'd make more sense to new players to get all that housekeeping work done before you are presented with actual missions. I'd also recommend some kind of ship simulator tutorial that allows you to try out different ships along with how to make sure you have enough dilithium to actually get a new ship at each tier if you're not going to grant enough between ranks.
Lt. Commander
# 40
10-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't know whether this question has been asked but I'd like to know regardless. Say I level up Medical and Trade to tier IV. Will I get the rewards for both come Holodeck reward time, or just the one I got first or something? I'm not too bothered, but I'm attempting to level all the categories simultaneously, so if I maxed them all, will I get a belated birthday present in the form of 20+ super rare DOffs? I don't mean to sound greedy but, capitalism ho!

Also only leveling through the DOff system so far (no missions) and it's very addictive. Kudos on some great work.