Lt. Commander
# 41
07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Waves arms wildly while holding an encyclopedic tome entitled To Serve Star Fleet.

"Don't go! It's a cookbook!"
Lt. Commander
# 42
07-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Personally, I'm not that thrilled with the "General" and "Trek, not STO" sections merging... Generally have different moods in them. Now, well, its the 405 meets the 101, not just being on either of them <_<
Lt. Commander
# 43
07-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
The Holodeck forum will be being merged into Ten Forward. Ten Forward will be the new destination for all role-play, fan fic, fan art, and introduction threads!

We will also be merging the General Any Topic and Star Trek Universe forums into one new forum called Non STO Discussion. This will be the new off topic thread for anything not related to STO.
Sigh. I'd really rather be positive, but when it comes to getting rid of forums without adding new ones at the same time, I have to ask... why? And why take away those forums?

Keeping The Holodeck separate seemed like a nice gesture to the gamers who care about story. And keeping a Star Trek Universe separate from the GAT was, I think, appreciated by those of us who enjoy Star Trek-focused conversations.

Now the merged forums will be just like the single general Star Trek Online discussion forum: a place where carefully-crafted posts intended to explore game design in a thoughtful way get knocked off the first page in about ten minutes by generic one-liners. And that ten minutes will drop to approximately one when the game launches.

This isn't how Cryptic manages its actual games, is it? Taking things away before being ready to immediately add something clearly better? "Yes, we decided to delete the Engineering and Science departments and put everyone into Tactical. At some point in the future we'll be adding something or other that's totally awesome, and we think you're going to like it quite a bit."

If that's not the sort of thing Cryptic would do in an actual game, why do it to the game's discussion board?

To be fair, I suppose it's possible that this is a change intended to make room for some new forums -- presumably in combination with the upcoming one-year anniversary of this site's opening to the public. If so, then why not wait to condense existing forums until the shiny new forums are ready to go?

Furthermore, what new forums would offer more value than the lost Holodeck and Star Trek Universe forums? Multiple forums for the people who like fleets? One for Starfleet and one for the Klingon-oriented players, perhaps? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a little love for the folks looking to play Klingons, but why should it come at the expense of the gamers who enjoy talking about Star Trek and telling stories set in the Star Trek universe? In what way does deleting those forums help to improve anticipation for Star Trek Online?

Quote:
You'll be much happier with it if you are in a fleet currently, but you should still appreciate the change even if you have not signed up with one of our fleets.
I hope you're right.

And now I think I have to go find some happier thread where I can be more constructive; one grumpy post per night ought to be my limit....

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 44
07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm just gonna agree with flatfingers on this, i can't put it any better than he did.
Lt. Commander
# 45
07-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Is there anything going to happen with the Signature changes? will some restrictions be lifted in time?
Lt. Commander
# 46
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
yeah i'd really like the ability to have a fleet signature up here
Lt. Commander
# 47
07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry Cryptic not a fan. Although I can't really add much over Flatfingers comments.

STO and Gen discussion merger.. meh now we have to search even more so between Stop Attacking Voyager threads, Who's the best captain Threads, and filter the non related stuff..

Loose the Holodeck? That's just not a step forward in my opinion. there have been some excelent RP threads put up by multiple fleets, with great story lines. Yet now there seperated by all the multiple Hello I'm new, and the 400 Bar threads formerly over in 10 forward. Ah well guess Cryptic dosen't care about the RP'ers and their stories getting watered down with other members entering threads to ask When does it release? How can I get my Key.. I WANNA PLAY!!!

I'm waiting to see if the Fleet additional thing will have some sort of diplomacy concept, but then maybe that's like asking for more detailed info on the Klingon faction

Oh well, guess I'll just visit this site now, and not spen time like I used to.
Lt. Commander
# 48 Boooo!!!!
07-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Not a fan of the new changes either.

Dev team if the return of Soon(tm) enters here, I'm gonna stop having pie delivered to your office.
Lt. Commander
# 49
07-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Quote:

We will also be merging the General Any Topic and Star Trek Universe forums into one new forum called Non STO Discussion. This will be the new off topic thread for anything not related to STO.

Stormshade
I'd just like to point out that this says that they're merging the General topic and Star Trek Universe topic, not the General topic and the Star Trek: Online topic like some seem to believe.
Lt. Commander
# 50
07-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Looks good apart Star Trek Discussion and General Any, seems odd to do that, I think it would have been better to leave it as is. Most other game forums seem to have a lore forum and a general forum so why not us?