Lt. Commander
# 51
07-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Nope, return it as it was. Don't like it. Away with the changes! Vive la ... eh ... counter-revolucion!
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Please change it back.
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Now that you merged the Star Trek and Offtopic, wouldn't mind seeing a forum games area, so that all those silly "Corrupt a Wish" treads and like can be put into there not in the way of proper discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm just very pleased that the annoucement of these changes has given me the opportunity to yet again see Trebort5050 and USS Parallax post next to each other thus making me laugh at the combination of avatars.

posts 13 and 14
posts 37, 38 and 39

Classic.
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm afraid I'm totally against this change, I've actually been an advocate of making a few more sections, not merging them.

Firsty, some area's of the forum just do not mix, merging them can actually destroy community interaction. for example, the holodeck is a roleplay area, currently, if you post any fan art there it is immediatly knocked off the first page by roleplay threads, which are obviously quite active, this is a shame as Star Trek as a franchise hasa pretty huge following of fans doing artwork, I'm pretty sure if there was an artwork area, the number of people posting artwork would increase.

This leads onto the roleplayers, with thier threads getting added to the ten forward greeting area, the threads will get lost in the "Hi, I'm new here" threads which could decrease traffic in the roleplay threads.

Please understand, I hate forums with a million forum area's, but I definatly felt these forums actualy needed a few more catagories. Those being:-

News

Federation News Network threads with Crptic news
Dev Tracker

Star Trek Online Discussion

General discussion Regular discussion and ranting about player ship interiors
Suggestions A place for players to put forward ideas
Storyline discussion Not as relevant now, but when the game hits this will be important for people following lore, also great place for discussing the paths

Player to Player

Fleet Registration Station Area for fleets to recruit
Holodeck Roleplay area
Corps on Engineers Artwork area
Ten Forward Greetings area

General

Star Trek related topics
Non-Star Trek related discussions

As you can see, I've added the suggestion area because so many awesome suggestions get wiped of the frontpages, since the game is still in development this seems like the best time to have an area for suggestions too, afterall, adding it 'after' the game is released seems a bit backward when its harder to add things after launch. I added the storyline area, although the forum probably isn't ready for it yet, for people that like researching the storyline, which will be more relevant when the game hits. I split the holodeck and created the corps of engineers (artwork) to help encourage more community interaction.

As it is now, I can't see why you would want to channel so many people into such a small area, also, having a few more sections should technically make the forums easier to moderate and browse at a glance and make the forums more comfortable to navigate for its users.

So please, reconsider the changes, as it is now, you may as well just have 1 area called 'Forum' :-/
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-22-2009, 05:48 AM
I totaly agree with Suricata on this and I like his forum setup. It would be much easier to pick the topics you like this way, at least it would be easier for me with my personal interests. But I'm afraid the brave people of STO have something else planned. Lets just hope it's as good as we all hope for.
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm actually pretty amazed so few people have spoken out against these changes, although saying that theres nothing about PSI, Barrel Rolls or beta keys so its not surprising its going by unnoticed for the most part: -P
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
I'm actually pretty amazed so few people have spoken out against these changes, although saying that theres nothing about PSI, Barrel Rolls or beta keys so its not surprising its going by unnoticed for the most part: -P
Actually after reading your thread above in depth, I recant my agreement to the change. I hadn't thought about the community impact based on the organization of data, which you've brought up in your thread. By streamlining the data as they have, it's very possible now for various data-sets to be lost in a mountain of other threads which do not pertain to other data.

I must say that I have to agree that this re-organization might detract from a healthy community simply because you'll have competing interests now in various threads, and it will be easy for the sense of community to get lost.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd just like to know why the site cannot remember my information and pulling up the font colour drop down is so slooooooooow in showing up.
Lt. Commander
# 60
07-24-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't have a problem with any changes the mods make to the forums, for those who are guild leaders and webmasters who run their own forums outside of sto, Im pretty sure we all understand about clutter,modding,organization and wanting to put cool little tools in for our users. Its also very tempting to make changes after seeing the same ol same old every day so i say go for it.

I'm actually very curious to see how you guys go about grouping guilds and using some sort of clever recruitment module here with v-bulletin. Whip that baby out and lets have a look