Lt. Commander
The term Unreplicatable Materials(URM) does not flow off the tongue. And while the majority are still angry at this addition to crafting I see it as an opportunity to add some more "Trek" to STO.

I would like to nominate "Pergium" (Click) as the new name for the URM's
And it would fit since its used in Star Trek as a power source.

Mentioned in:
>(TOS: "The Devil in the Dark")
>(VOY: "Fair Trade")
>(DS9: "Prodigal Daughter")

If you think of crafting like baking a cake:

(1) Youve got your ingredients, ( samples, and traces )
(2) Youve got your recipe ( Schematics )
(3) Youve got your kitchen/oven/mixing bowl (memory alpha and qonos)
(4) And now with Pergium you can say its the rare Fire / Catalyst that makes the process possible.

With Pergium we could get to visit the Tigan mine in the Sappora System ( DS9: Prodigal Daughter (Click) )

The Vendor at Memory Alpha / Qonos could have a Horta with them or even be a Horta...
( Memory Alpha it could be a Horta, on Qonos a Ferengi with a Horta associate lol )

or we could get a Horta Doff that can mine Pergium for us ( TOS: The Devil in the Dark (Click) ) very rarely of course so not to upset the new economy. But every now and then when the Doff mission is successful you get a block or two of Pergium.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-18-2011, 10:17 PM
and another idea bites the dust...
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Why so complicated?
Just make them isolinear programming chips.
Base Code Isolinear Chip
Advanced Code Isolinear Chip
High End Code Neural Gel Packs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2011, 12:14 AM
How I viewed the "Blocks" was just blocks of verious materials that are used to create materials. Since replicators break down masses and convert them into useable items.

And really there is no simple name for these things that really fit in Trek unless common is renamed something like Duraniam Blocks and Rares as Tritanium, making the various blocks as materials used in its creation.

Personally, I wish Cryptic would go back to the original Crafting where you had common materials and could craft them. That way Crafters could have an cheaper dilithium alternative if they got them from the exchange or from friends.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Aye, I also would suggest a different name for this, as it sound currently more like the desciption of what it is rather than a name.

Please also adjust the qty needed for each "material". If we have a scale of 10, 100, 1000 it does not make sense to use 42 of uncommon material. Now granted, since they can not be reverted backwards into dilithium it makes sene to not cap at 10 of common or uncommon material, but maybe 2x.

Hence, XI geear should require 22 and + 2 more rare materials.

Ideally the total "dilithium" cost should be tuned down a bit for this gear for crafting, but thats another story.

Over all I like the "work around" for dilithium cost to crafting. It makes much more sense the way it is set up now than the direct dilithium cost. The tradeable materials was a good solution for now, just needs to get a good name and some tuning on qty.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2011, 04:09 AM
As I noted in another thread, it's important that we use block quantities that tend to favor larger numbers, so that we can give discounts for special events/actions/bonuses. If we just charge 2 rare materials for an item, a 20% discount does you no good. If we charge 20 rare materials for the same item (and make those materials cost 1/10 of the prior case), then the dilithium cost is the same, but a 20% discount actually saves you 4 blocks.

I expect that we'll shortly have a way for crafters to upgrade/downgrade blocks as well, so that you can trade in your uncommon blocks for rare or back down to common and so on. (Just working out an implementation for this that will be easy to use.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2011, 05:42 AM
And call it Pergium lol....oh well I tried.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-19-2011, 06:57 AM
... and it IS a good idea, NT. Don't give up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I agree. Pergium is a great name idea. Otherwise I like the system.
Question: does it seem that the amounts of dilithium were reduced? I only had enough to craft three items at mkx, but it seemed before that I was going to be short...

Just curious.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-19-2011, 10:37 AM
I like your Idea with Pergium.

I LOVE your idea about he Horta Vendor on Memory Alpha
Closed Thread