Lt. Commander
After finally accumilating a good bit of data, went to memory Alpha and discovered only the odd level items can be crafted on Tribble.
ie; Mk 1, Mk 3, Mk 5...all the way up to Mk 11.
Is that intended? Gawds I hope not...
*note to self* Begin stockpiling Even lvl crafted gear....
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah that is a dumb idea. it's not like crafting was that powerful to start with.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-02-2011, 09:18 PM
I agree, crafting is going to become as useless as it used to be. At least right now on holodeck it's SOMEWHAT decent
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Holodeck crafting allows you to craft more powerful items than you can buy at Spacedock, DS9 or K7. Of course, you can find better stuff as you play, but the stuff from MA gives you something to use until you do. The new system on Tribble is stupid. They've swapped the stuff you can craft at MA with the stuff you can buy at the bases, meaning that you have to spend Dilithium on the more powerful stuff. (unless you find it as loot on a mission)
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-02-2011, 11:29 PM
I agree, this is a mistake on the Developers parts, part of the payoff for running around and collecting all these data samples and particle traces is supposed to be some sort of edge for both PvE and PvP play, this reduces the advantage to a level where it hardly seems worth it, since you can spawn rare and very rare odd level stuff on Otha and Kerrat. lets see, hours running around the exploration sectors, or 20 minutes on Otha.. Come on Dev's don't penalize us for putting a little work into it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I haven't felt like doing as much exploring on Tribble as I do on Holodeck because you can't build cool stuff at MA anymore. All of my ships on Holodeck are running MA gear; weapons, consoles, shields, etc. Now that there's less of a point to scanning anomalies, (and you don't get dilithium or badges of explortion) I just don't care about the exploration missions anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Devs, please can you explain why you think this nerf would be necessary. I (and apparently several other ppl) find crafting is just fine the way it is on Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-03-2011, 05:30 AM
(accidently made this reply to the "Bug Report" thread when it clearly isn't a bug)

Crafting even level mark equipment was worthwhile on the old (current Holodeck) system. By the time you had gathered enough anomolies to start crafting, you were getting level appropriate items (ie lvls 5-10 you were getting II, 15-20 IV, etc..).

With the current tribble F2P system, by the time you've collected enough anomolies, you are able to craft items that are 5 or more levels lower than what you would otherwise want to use. If this is intentional, the only purpose for crafting would be to level a captain and use the anomolies for starter gear for other newer characters. Is that the intent? Crafting is not supposed to be worthwhile for the character you craft on, but only for equipping other captain's you start later?

Also, it looks like the Aegis set took a hit. It appears to be mark IX in strength, down from X. For what used to be a viable "end-game" set, the downgrade kills it. Can't it be made mark XI strength instead?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-03-2011, 06:13 AM
With this change to crafting and the fact that a simple blue MKX console costs 30000 dilithium (480 for the Eta Eri daily, meaning 62 emblems for one !! MkX !! item) im beginning to understand Dan Stahls "reason" for leaving. But of course its all for career advancement, at Zynga no less

Obviously it wouldnt look good on ones resume to be responsible for the nosedive of a moderately successful mmo with the Star Trek IP.

Im starting to think that what theyre doing here will make Star Wars Galaxies' NGE pale in comparison
Lt. Commander
I disagree with the majority of what people in here are saying. Soloing up to the best level great in the game doesn't make sense to me as it discourages ppl from playing the STF's and other high end content. Also it is possible to get drops yes, but it is much less reliable and should ideally take more time to get the specific gear you want (getting 3 tetryon DHC's as drops should be way longer than collecting and making them)

However I completely agree that the aegis is undervalued as a mark IX and not XI. There are not enough cosmetic gear sets in the game (maybe 1/2 a dozen) to have a cosmetic set that is not viable at end game. I understand not making it the best gear (it is craft able) but making it the best craft able set only seems to make sense

sorry for the dissent to early posters. I am basing this expectation on other MMO's i have played where crafting is always viable end game, but never the best endgame gear.