Lt. Commander
# 11
10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoickes View Post
I disagree with the majority of what people in here are saying. Soloing up to the best level great in the game doesn't make sense to me as it discourages ppl from playing the STF's and other high end content. Also it is possible to get drops yes, but it is much less reliable and should ideally take more time to get the specific gear you want (getting 3 tetryon DHC's as drops should be way longer than collecting and making them)

However I completely agree that the aegis is undervalued as a mark IX and not XI. There are not enough cosmetic gear sets in the game (maybe 1/2 a dozen) to have a cosmetic set that is not viable at end game. I understand not making it the best gear (it is craft able) but making it the best craft able set only seems to make sense

sorry for the dissent to early posters. I am basing this expectation on other MMO's i have played where crafting is always viable end game, but never the best endgame gear.
Consider this.

I want "X" console for my ship. I can grind or buy materials to craft one, or I can grind Dilithium to buy one thats a little better. How am I going to spend my time? Grinding Dilithium for the better console, and never even look to the crafted version.

There will be little value to crafting if they implement these changes, as there is better gear to get by other means.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree with what ur saying completely. I would propose that you should only be able to buy odd level gear with dilithium and reserve the mark XII for end game high level content. Can someone check if the even level (Ie. Mark XII gear) is available with dilithium
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I think this is part of the new "How to get more money from the F2P people" aspect, as if you can only buy even's for Dilithium, then it means that people will be more likely to spend for CP's to put up on exchange for Dilithium.

Interesting I have to say, yet also mildly annoying, but I will spend some time after getting my Tribble guy to level 51 on my Fed and KDF mains on Holodeck crafting some surplus even gear so I can give it to fleet members when required.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-03-2011, 01:42 PM
My previous post was meant to question the value of crafting during the leveling process. The mention of the Aegis set nerf was meant as an addendum.

To clarify my thoughts on crafting in the leveling process:

Say a new F2P player starts their first character and decides to craft. As the crafting model stands now, a character will be in the upper half of the leveling tier before they have enough materials to craft with. For example, it will be levels 6-10 before a new character has enough anomolies to start crafting the first tier of items. On Tribble that first tier of items is Mark I gear. Mark I gear (on Holodeck anyway) is intended for level 1-5 usage.

This pattern repeats for each tier. Begin crafting at level 16-20 for tier 2, but they can only craft Mark III gear. Begin crafting at level 26-30, but can only craft Mark V gear. Etc.. This poses a problem for the LEVELING character in that the items they craft are sub-standard. It only becomes less of an issue at the very top of the crafting tiers where you can begin to craft Mark XI gear.

I'm perfectly okay with not being able to craft the best gear for endgame, but for a leveling character, the current crafting model provides very little to no benefit for the amount of effort required.

The option always exists to just horde the materials and craft for your alts or craft to sell, but the immediete usefullness of crafted items while leveling is questionable.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
On Holodeck, I actually created 2 characters (out of the 9 slots I have available) one fed, one KDF that would do ALL my crafting. So for the other 7 characters, I would find my data samples as normal and mail them all to the 'craft characters' and then mail back any pertinant gear that the 'collectors' may need. It works out GREAT because my crafters get 7 times more data samples, 7 times more crafting exp, and by the time I actually want to PLAY these characters, they will have ALL the gear they could possibly want/need!

This was all in response to the rather slow accumulation of data samples. When crafting first came out, I would be a CAPTAIN by the time I collected enough samples to craft LT.CMDR rank gear. So I figured out this little workaround to 'pool the resources'.

Besides, crafting is FAR from useless... if you HAVE the samples, AND the crafting exp, you can make some REALLY sweet stuff that you can't get anywhere else, not to mention you can basically FLOOD your ship and crew with purple gear... for ZERO cash down! LOL

It's hilarious because my 'craft characters' banks are filled to the brim with data samples. The last time I crafted my Aegis set, I happened to notice I still had like 40ish chronometric particle traces, like 50ish Methogenic, 60 dekyon... LOL It's pretty sweet having my own personal 'collection fleet' made up of all MY characters! I never have to worry about someone stealing my stuff!
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treagersama View Post
Besides, crafting is FAR from useless... if you HAVE the samples, AND the crafting exp, you can make some REALLY sweet stuff that you can't get anywhere else, not to mention you can basically FLOOD your ship and crew with purple gear... for ZERO cash down! LOL

It's hilarious because my 'craft characters' banks are filled to the brim with data samples. The last time I crafted my Aegis set, I happened to notice I still had like 40ish chronometric particle traces, like 50ish Methogenic, 60 dekyon... LOL It's pretty sweet having my own personal 'collection fleet' made up of all MY characters! I never have to worry about someone stealing my stuff!
Which is all well and good for you

However, I was attempting to provide feedback from the perspective of a brand new F2P player (which is what Tribble is supposed to be simulating).

Even Mark gear is no longer craftable, so stock up on all of that "sweet stuff that you can't get anywhere else" before F2P hits. All the crafted stuff has been knocked down a Mark (X -> IX, VIII -> VII, etc..).
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-03-2011, 07:11 PM
You might want to hold off on "stocking up". With the way things have been going I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive nerf go through Holodeck shortly before F2P goes live. In this nerf I would expect each piece of previously crafted gear to be scaled down to their new counter parts.

The Aegis set, for example, is currently Mark X, but in Tribble it's Mark IX. It would make sense for them to scale back the set. To clarify... if you currently are using the Aegis set Mark X I would expect, post F2P, that you log in and instantly notice you now have Aegis Mark IX equipped and your Mark X gear gone. I would also expect that any Mark X crafted gear that you have equiped to be scaled back to Mark IX, and VIII to VII... and so on and so forth.

In essence... it would nearly nullify any benefit one could try to set up by "Stocking up" on even tier gear.

On the other hand... why not leave the crafting system the way it currently is. Maybe even make Mark XI the highest that can be crafted, again the same as it currently is. Or even let crafters make Mark XII gear, but have it all be blues. That way Crafters still have viability at end game, but it's still not the best gear available.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-03-2011, 11:44 PM
From a VA standpoint this isn't really a change though is it? Mk XI is the max we can craft for anything on Holodeck as it is. The Mk XII stuff was the 'carrot' for the STFs, so its not surprising we can't craft them.

The questions is do many people actually optimize that much before Vice Admiral? I know when I level a character I just craft the green qualities, or maybe the blues if I happen to have a lot of extra mats and just call it at that and continue leveling. I have always considered the purple versions a waste of mats on anything short of VA. I honestly doubt I would even notice the difference between the odd marked version and the even during leveling.

The Aegis set is concerning though. The wiki says the aegis shield got more powerful as you leveled. The wiki says that at VA the shield Covariant Shield Array Mk X [Cap]x2. but with a 0.5% higher capacity and regeneration rate. What is it at now? (For VA's that is).
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Sorry i just tried my hand at crafting today and this is another DAFT idea that needs to go back to the drawing board as it gives ZERO reasons to use the crafting system at all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDarter
Sorry i just tried my hand at crafting today and this is another DAFT idea that needs to go back to the drawing board as it gives ZERO reasons to use the crafting system at all.
We are nearly all in agreement that it's a terrible idea but, as with alot of the terrible ideas so far, it achieves exactly what Cryptic is after.
Which is that to get any of the best equipment you will have to grind or buy dilithium. (emphasis on Cryptics preferred option )