Lt. Commander
Had a weird thought over breakfast: the DOff system would make a pretty decent phone and/or web app. It doesn't take a lot of processing power and its the short of fiddly thing some of the micromanaging gamers I know would enjoy fiddling with in their spare moments. All you would need to do, and this is new tech I know, is to build a web interface for it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-03-2011, 10:00 AM
I had that same thought, about the only problem with it is it works based on your position in the game, so i'd guess it'd be limited to whatever area you logged out from.

I'd certainly enjoy making use of it, assassins creed brotherhood which has a somewhat similar spreadsheet style mini mission game for the assassins the main character trains has a facebook app that lets you do that outside the game and even uses the app to elaborate on exactly what they do on their missions.

facebook, iphone/ipad, android, you name it.

EDIT: Course, i'm still waiting on a possible Dabo app, soooo.... yeah
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockup View Post
Had a weird thought over breakfast: the DOff system would make a pretty decent phone and/or web app. It doesn't take a lot of processing power and its the short of fiddly thing some of the micromanaging gamers I know would enjoy fiddling with in their spare moments. All you would need to do, and this is new tech I know, is to build a web interface for it.
AWESOME concept would scoop it up in an instant if i had something like that for this game. IT would keep people interested im sure. I would like to have this please make it so Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-03-2011, 11:13 AM
That'd be an awesome way for me to play while traveling!! go down my list of toons, run the missions before I get on a plane and stay involved while away from STO. What a great way to stay contually involved in my Star Trek World!

FyreMouse
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Heretic has said it's in planning in one of the DOff threads. They aren't sure how to implement it, but they want to.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Would be amazing, especially if they keep the current ridiculously long timers on DOFF missions. I admit I would check it every couple of hours.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Heck, associate it with facebook (use your player base to advertise much?)(even make it it's own mini game on Facebook - and charge facebook ST fans for 'better' officers)... it's like mob wars only in game.

Your Doff needs a bat, 3 9mm and an uparmored humvee to to this mission.... check back in 2 weeks to see how he did.

I wouldn't mind the Doff system if it were a more failure based... in that duty officers 'failed' more than succeeded... I like to see it as the crew, sent on away missions... not all of them come back.... none of them take more the missions about an hour and a half... I mean 3 days to give a lecture? A LECTURE?!? Re-word it.

Though, if it were made more like a CCG it would be better... if I could buy 'packs' of Duty officers and build 'decks' of them... missions being scenarios... Make the minigame a minigame, not a barely worthwhile game mechanic.

As crazy as this sounds, i've never leveled crafting on any of my toons... it's a boring minigame I don't feel the need to do, and waiting 3 days for a mission to complete - good luck holding my attention (I can min/max with the Doffs I get right away).
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-03-2011, 02:56 PM
One ticket for the iPhone DOFF show, please.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
If they got an Android app to access the DOFF system, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Regarding the location issue, the app could just give you access to shipboard assignments. It'd mean not as many as if you were actually "on the bridge", but still give us some chance to update on the go.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
I think just making it interface with Facebook is a more realistic goal.

1. it advertises for them (updates on your wall etc)

2. You can get facebook on your phone (if you can't then your phone sucks).

3. It's much, much easier to do... DCUO did it.

4. It can function as a stand-alone souce for Cryptic which requires as much attention as other facebook games.