Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
10-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraKet View Post
There's one minor issue with the episode list replay.

It fails to show when a mission isn't available yet due to having a cooldown. I've clicked missions only to have it do nothing. Once I went in and checked the ready room monitor version of the replays, it mentioned the cooldown still in progress.
I very much agree with this. You can see the cooldown if you visit your bridge and hit up your personal computer but I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it.

Also, I agree on the points that need revisiting with regards to the Devidian series. Some of those fights are incredibly difficult (almost game-breakingly slow to fight as well). I'd also like to add how nearly impossible it is to sneak past those Starfleet officers in that one mission. I've done it ONCE in the dozen or so times I've done it and I can't quite seem to do it again. Admittedly, I was able to do it back before they let the rest of your team go through the Jeffries Tubes with you.

On the Night of the Comet comet-blowing-up-thingy, I've been able to navigate it so that I don't really fight the D7's and I get blown up maybe twice. It's definitely irritating to hear that B'Vat's cruiser is about to blow when I haven't done ANYTHING to him and he's just an idiot. Meh.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carm
Thoughts?
Branching mission strings. I'd need to look at the game to do this specifically, but:

Finishing Stranded in Space unlocks the Klingon War Strand, the Ulitmate Weapon strand, the Romulan Strand and the Reman strand. Finishing Under the Cover of Night unlocks the Dividian Strand, Finishing the Romulan borg tech mission strand unlocks the Borg strand, finishing that unlocks Undine. Finishing the Reman and Romulan strands unlocks the Romulan Featured Episodes. Finishing Ghost Ship unlocks the Dividan strand, Finishing any strand unlocks the Cardassian, Mirror Universe, and Breen strands.

So at any given time you should have multiple strands (or fronts) to choose from. Bored of fighting Klingons? There are Romulans and Cardassians waiting for you over there and there.

Tie patrols into episodes, so you get the patrols when you get a mission in that sector, and level scale those as well.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
We have tuned the difficulty of some of the problem encounters, including the one in Stop the Signal. This change will likely be in a patch later this week. Let us know how it works after the change, and if you find any of the other episodes excessively difficult.
tuning is fine, but it doesn't get rid of the issue that we are forced to do things in one way and only one way. that takes a TON away from the game that made it fun and turns it into a grind that the game doesn't need.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
Disagree, chaining is great. The story needs to be told in a linear fashion.
Um, not to be a glass of cold water, but when there are many, many people pointing out that

1) it's boring , especially when you are running alts
2) leads to possible borkedness if it breaks
3) ruins the value of the FE's
4) is not wanted by many people who don't want to be told HOW to level

I would reconsider the "value" of telling a "story" in linear fashion. If the narrative can't hold together without rails, like in, oh, every MMO I've ever played, then it's not much of a story.
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-12-2011, 07:05 AM
I appreciate the value of good storytelling and I definitely agree that some of the mission arcs can and should be chained.

However, the sum total of missions of this game do not make a story. Aside from a few mentions of earlier events, later missions in no way build on earlier ones. There are no consistent characters, no development, no single narrative. There are some places where any consistent narrative falls apart or where the "story" jumps.

Chaining all the missions has nothing to do with telling a story. It may have to do with other things, like trying to control the way people play the game, but it's not about anything having to do with narrative. Any author/storyteller worth his or her salt would be able to tell anyone that.

This game is not a novel. It's more like a group of short stories. And you don't read a collection of stories like you read a novel. At least, you shouldn't be forced to.

Aside from the fact that bugs will occur and break the chain, chaining every story mission in the game takes the ability away from players to create their own stories and level different characters in different ways. Again, it comes back to control.

I don't post on the forums much, and I don't like to get involved in controversy, but this is one change that is pretty much a deal-breaker in my enjoyment of the game. I'm here because this is Star Trek and there's always been a strong tradition of people creating their own stories in the Trek universe.
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
We have tuned the difficulty of some of the problem encounters, including the one in Stop the Signal. This change will likely be in a patch later this week. Let us know how it works after the change, and if you find any of the other episodes excessively difficult.
That's great, and we appreciate that you guys are fixing these as they come up, but the concern is what happens when the next one breaks? Sure, you'll fix it, but all the F2P people who've come in to try the game out find themselves waiting, potentially a week, to be able to continue doing anything meaningful in terms of story. At which point I imagine they'll either give up and leave the game, or start doing other stuff. Which is then discouraging when the story gets fixed and they've out-leveled it in a week of Exploration or PvP, so the rewards are useless to them.

I recommend you always give access to the next two story missions. That way, if any given mission is borked, you can just skip it and do the next one. (maybe even have an optional "last time on Star Trek" clip so they don't miss the major story points of the previous mission) And then, if you succeed at the next one it flags them both as complete.

The advantage: if there's a bugged mission you can bypass it and continue with game's story.
The drawback: the skipped mission gets flagged as "completed" so you'll only ever get the reduced relay value of skill points, even after it's fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
That's great, and we appreciate that you guys are fixing these as they come up, but the concern is what happens when the next one breaks? Sure, you'll fix it, but all the F2P people who've come in to try the game out find themselves waiting, potentially a week, to be able to continue doing anything meaningful in terms of story. At which point I imagine they'll either give up and leave the game, or start doing other stuff. Which is then discouraging when the story gets fixed and they've out-leveled it in a week of Exploration or PvP, so the rewards are useless to them.
Thats why this is a beta, its to find these bugs so that the F2Pers won't. Also the developement cycle on tribble is one week. They can push an update whenever they want. Once the game goes live if there is something game breaking, it will be fixed right away, we have seen this twice with tribble. Last thursday after the first major patch there was a problem with the dilithium system, cryptic fixed it that night.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savnoka
Um, not to be a glass of cold water, but when there are many, many people pointing out that

1) it's boring , especially when you are running alts
2) leads to possible borkedness if it breaks
3) ruins the value of the FE's
4) is not wanted by many people who don't want to be told HOW to level

I would reconsider the "value" of telling a "story" in linear fashion. If the narrative can't hold together without rails, like in, oh, every MMO I've ever played, then it's not much of a story.
that's just it with the New interface you can have both a Liner story line arc and still keep the old system "available" by rank in the available tab the front page of the new new interface can guide you to logical liner order which you can follow or you can go to the available tab and play the way have it on holodeck now.
I don't see the need to lock it down, but maybe that's just me.
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkeRealm View Post
Branching mission strings. I'd need to look at the game to do this specifically, but:

SNIP

Tie patrols into episodes, so you get the patrols when you get a mission in that sector, and level scale those as well.
A million times this. That's exactly how the game should go. With this, you can remove level restrictions as well; if you've unlocked a branch, then you have obviously earned enough SP to be the correct level.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I suspect that they're doing the strict linearity at the moment so that if there is a bug, people report it and complain about it rather than skipping to the next available mission.

I do appreciate the linearity a little bit, in that it's always easy to tell which is the next mission, but I think branching is definitely needed. I'd be okay with having the first mission of each episode be level locked, while the remainder of the episode is chained (thus I could skip the Klingon storyline), and branch the featured episodes (and maybe puff missions like the Tribble With Klingons) so that they become available but not required at the appropriate spots of the playthrough.