Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
# 51
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Chaining is important, though, only if the chains are logical and in the same story. while weaving through the stories is interesting, its altogether disjointed. all episode missions should be chained within their storyline, the storyline getting unlocked by either level or completing certain missions in other storylines, and all enemies/rewards should scale. mission replays should never be affected in terms of chaining. and then there should be side missions, that are quick and short, which dont scale, and really, a lot more should exist.

i kinda liked having to ask for help on that mission...makes it feel more dramatic. maybe have an optional path to make it a fleet action or something to that effect.
Lt. Commander
# 52
10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
I've had a problem here on the test server with mission chaining. Quite literally the chaining itself is broken. I have not been able to pick up a single chained mission after Researcher rescue. I'm about halfway through commander now, and Have no access to any missions but exploration, patrols, and the weekly series missions. It's not hurt leveling at all, with suppliments from the DOff system, but... I have no story missions, I don't get any of those special rewards, or even offically move to a new sector. Skipping may not make much sense contentwise... Something somewhere got stuck, and I got stuck with it. Being able to pick up the missions when level appropriate would certainly have kept the issue from happening.
Lt. Commander
# 53
10-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharial
I've had a problem here on the test server with mission chaining. Quite literally the chaining itself is broken. I have not been able to pick up a single chained mission after Researcher rescue. I'm about halfway through commander now, and Have no access to any missions but exploration, patrols, and the weekly series missions. It's not hurt leveling at all, with suppliments from the DOff system, but... I have no story missions, I don't get any of those special rewards, or even offically move to a new sector. Skipping may not make much sense contentwise... Something somewhere got stuck, and I got stuck with it. Being able to pick up the missions when level appropriate would certainly have kept the issue from happening.
You can't do Skirmish?
Lt. Commander
# 54
10-13-2011, 04:11 PM
I HATE HATE HATE the chaining. Missions in a story arc I have no problem with, but I really hate it with arcs themselves being chained. Not just because a bug like Stop the Signal puts me on hold till it's fixed, but because there are some arcs I just don't feel like repeating. I've been in this game since the beta, and if I never see another swamp full of gorn rangers again, I'll be happy. Not that it's a bad mission, but because I've done it

so

many

many

times

that I'd just as soon do dailys, borg, exploration, or other events and skip it and get to this or that other arc.

Plus, I just don't like being on rails. It's like having a Dev come into my house and snatch my remote saying "I know you really want to watch The Enterprise Incident, but you're not allowed until you finish all of your Spock's Brain episode! And don't even Think of trying to watch STNG Season Three until you watch ALL of Shades of Grey. I know you think it's "just" a season end clip episode, but it's an important step in the product's creative evolution, and YOU WILL WATCH EVERY LAST MINUTE OF IT! AND DON'T EVEN THINK OF PUTTING IN DS9 INSTEAD!"
Lt. Commander
# 55
10-16-2011, 03:19 PM
A feature allowing to skip broken missions has got to be added. The time people have to play this game is to valuable to be spent reading forums, to find out that there is no way to complete a mission. And that they can't see new content until someone fixes a bug.

It takes weeks sometimes for the Devs to acknowledge a bug exists and fix it, so why would new comers want to wait around till they can finish a mission and continue with the content.
Lt. Commander
Even this early in the thread, it's been voiced every way thinkable and some viable and very easily implementable resolutions to the story chaining issues have been expressed. However, the more voices, the more they may take notice.

I, too, am unhappy with the new story chaining evolution that (so far) they plan to implement . I agree that having the story laid out in a linear nature gives more cohesiveness to the underlying plot going on while we play (though 2409 has been going on for almost 2 years now). However, my two biggest frustrations is that when one reaches a particular level, the normally associated story arch that was once started with obtaining that level should be opened up, with the option to return to finish the rest of say, the klingon front, still available. And also, as previously stated, if the missions are going to be level matched as we progress, so should the rewards. With all the different ways there are to level up past the story line...well in my case I hit VA and just now can enter Borg space (and god does that put my nerfing paranoia on high alert).

On a side note with this and it being discussed just about everywhere, hitting VA and receiving nothing seemed anticlimactic at best. No new ship, no dilithium, costume unlocks, c-points - outside of a title change and a new "pip" for my collar - it just seems so lack luster after running these same bloody missions over and over again since open beta.

I have said it for years, micro-transactions are the death of the true mmo. And this debacle only proves it further. With their only way to generate revenue via selling intangible, single use items for an excessive amount of money (Multi-Vector Assault craft - $25.00 USD) they will kill this game as surely as Enterprise killed off the television franchise.
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TolaSrrup View Post
Even this early in the thread, it's been voiced every way thinkable and some viable and very easily implementable resolutions to the story chaining issues have been expressed. However, the more voices, the more they may take notice.

I, too, am unhappy with the new story chaining evolution that (so far) they plan to implement . I agree that having the story laid out in a linear nature gives more cohesiveness to the underlying plot going on while we play (though 2409 has been going on for almost 2 years now). However, my two biggest frustrations is that when one reaches a particular level, the normally associated story arch that was once started with obtaining that level should be opened up, with the option to return to finish the rest of say, the klingon front, still available.
Except it's not even a single narrative. There are at least a dozen separate story arcs in the game (Klingon War, Undine Infiltration, B'Vat's Superweapon, Romulan Borg Research, Cloaked Intentions (FE), Reman Conspiracy, Cardassian Aggression, Mirror Invasion, Dividian (FE), Breen (FE), Borg, Undine, Borg STFs, with hints at an Iconian story arc and some loose episodes scattered around.) only a handful of which even reference each other in any way.

If the chains could be initiated independently of one another, I wouldn't care as much. "You finished Stranded in Space? Okay, here's three different storylines you can follow, have fun. You made LtCmdr? Here's another four. You still want to finish one of the ones you haven't finished? That's cool."

I actually like the new episode UI, but, seriously, split up the missions so there's always alternate options on what to do and let us muck around at our own pace.

Quote:
And also, as previously stated, if the missions are going to be level matched as we progress, so should the rewards. With all the different ways there are to level up past the story line...well in my case I hit VA and just now can enter Borg space (and god does that put my nerfing paranoia on high alert).
I read somewhere that this is not intended behavior, and that it will be adjusted so all mission rewards scale. Though I can't remember for certain if it was a Dev saying that or someone in TTS who wanted to sound like they were in the know.

Quote:
On a side note with this and it being discussed just about everywhere, hitting VA and receiving nothing seemed anticlimactic at best. No new ship, no dilithium, costume unlocks, c-points - outside of a title change and a new "pip" for my collar - it just seems so lack luster after running these same bloody missions over and over again since open beta.
You do still get the coat at VA. Though, again, with the way level scaling works now, there isn't a lot of incentive to even finish the story arcs once you get there.

Quote:
I have said it for years, micro-transactions are the death of the true mmo. And this debacle only proves it further. With their only way to generate revenue via selling intangible, single use items for an excessive amount of money (Multi-Vector Assault craft - $25.00 USD) they will kill this game as surely as Enterprise killed off the television franchise.
Someone keeps saying that the ships are turning into a one per character, not one per account system. Every time a dev is asked, they say they have no plans to. Hell, I've seen Gozer, Zero and Fark ALL say this in TTS. Stop giving PW ideas on how to screw us all over, please.

I'm not happy that T5 ship costs are going up, nor that five of the ships I bought with C-Store points are going down (the Classic Connie, Oberth, NX, RI and the GalX), but... actually strike that, my Classic Constitution was a preorder incentive, so meh. Still, I'm not thrilled with that, though I suppose to a new player, paying $3.50 or $5 for a ship is more palatable than paying $10 for a T1/T2 ship.
Lt. Commander
# 58
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Stop the signal was not so bad. I solo'd that pretty easily in my Miranda. You just had to do more hit and fade.

But it was not that bad. Frankly, I found the challenge fun.

PvE has not shown a challenge for some time. I was glad to find one.
Lt. Commander
# 59
10-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Not too keen on the fixed chain of missions.

Several reasons:

1. Bugged missions causing inability to progress through chain ( and lots of missions are still buggy).
2. Unable to progress if you advance faster than mission chain allows for. Hit RA early by doing enough side quests and you still can't go to Gamma Orionis to do Borg missions.
3. Unable to skip uninteresting/unenjoyable missions.

Have any devs actually posted on why they locked us to a railroad in the first place?
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
We have tuned the difficulty of some of the problem encounters, including the one in Stop the Signal. This change will likely be in a patch later this week. Let us know how it works after the change, and if you find any of the other episodes excessively difficult.
Stop the Signal is still not fixed. The last boss is still way to OP for my LT 7 Engy. Well now LT8 from doing a few other things.