Lt. Commander
# 11
10-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Equinox
Whenever I accept a contract it is on the basis that I can complete the work to a high degree of quality or I do not accept the contract.

To me this seems they accepted the work knowing they didnt have enough time to complete. So unless I am wrong in my reasoning, I have no sympathy really.
I can see them releasing a 1.0 "beta" program live; it's not ideal but it's generally the same with most MMOs (particularly lesser known ones). It had enough IP presence that it will hold some players over hoping for more content, but once again that ADD factor came in and this game was really just spinning in circles.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
They took on the project knowing the launch date before hand, didn't they? If they didn't know that says someone really messed up taking on the project without a clue. If they did know then they put themselves in the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
For any who havent seen it, the new episode of STOKed is now out. In it they interview the new EP Stephen D'Angelo, who confirms something many have suspect for a long time; Cryptic did not set the launch date:

http://youtu.be/a0tP0YrlJB0#t=11m10s

So Perpetual had STO from 2004 to 2008, and then by the time Cryptic got it they only had 2 years before they had to release. I honestly doubt any other studio, with the possible exception of Blizzard, could have done more with only 2 years of development before a forced release date.

Thats not to say I disagree that the game wasnt ready for release(especially the KDF side), but I'm glad I got what I did rather than nothing at all.
Well that information isnt really new, and I had and have a lot of respect for that BASICLY. Thats (and the fact that this is a Star TRek game and the only star trek game arround that isnt datet ect) why I had for sure much more patience for STO then I would have with any other game / company.
But honestly, the recent events (Wrong prioritys in the development AFTER launch, intentionaly longer content drought beside on a BETA TEST SERVER...., just for example) have put that pantience to a VERY HARD challange.

After all, we pay the same money a fully developed game costs. And during the last 8 month we didnt get much for it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Its high past time to quit the debate on what got Cryptic and Us in the here and now. Its focus on what needs to be fixed to keep them and us here and ahppy in the game play.

So they got a bad deal of teh cards and did the best they could in short notice. Thats old news, its time for the looking forward only.
I agree we must look forward, and we will never know the ins and outs of managment decisions, and I would be far more forgiving if cryptic had been treating its loyal customers well.

Instead it seems we are getting shafted in favour of silver members.

I am all for bringing new players to the game, and I want Cryptic to make a profit. But the lack of communication and the lacklustre F2P matrix (for gold members) leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Ive had a sour taste in my mouth for quite some time now.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
They took on the project knowing the launch date before hand, didn't they? If they didn't know that says someone really messed up taking on the project without a clue. If they did know then they put themselves in the situation.
Would you have preferred they didnt take the project and this game not exist at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
Well that information isnt really new,
I've never seen any official confirmation before, specifically that the date was set by someone else. Have a link?
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't think this is the 1st time we've heard that they had a deadline, I'm sure Dan said it at some point in the dim past.

I think the more striking think from the interview was when he said that Perfect World is funding the game at a 'much higher' level than Atari, which makes it pretty clear how bad things had gotten.

So, Cryptic had:

A very short time to produce STO, to solve this they re-used their Champions engine and shoe-horned a lot of new tech into it at a rapid pace. This gave us a mostly complete game skeleton, and a moderate amount of content, though as KDF players know, there were significant shortfalls. But short of doubling the investment before launch, it was about as best as you might expect.

Sketchy funding from Atari; They needed the support of Atari to get STO done in a reasonable timeframe, since Cryptic as an indie studio didn't have the money to ramp up and complete STO in 2 years.

However, Atari was more problematic AFTER the game, because while they got it launched in time, there was MUCH work to be done to polish things up (and much remains - Exploration I am looking at you) but Atari seemed to pull back on funding development due to their own financial issues.

Cryptic used another stopgap measure to keep the game moving forward: The C-Store. The constant drumbeat was that the C-Store paid for development of things we wouldn't otherwise see. This is obviously the case, looking back now. So Cryptic's artists and some dedicated fans who didn't mind paying extra on top of their subs held the game aloft up to where we are now.

And now as Mr D'Angelo said.. this is the opportunity to relaunch STO. The company behind the game is putting forth money. We can also assume that they will require good results. The team is growing, and there are good things happening behind the scenes as we can see from the StoKed footage.

So its been a rough few months, and they have some issues they still need to address. But it SEEMS like there's a good chance things will pick up going forward.

They need to do some things to get their subscriber base back "on board" with the game and its subscription model, and do something to salve the hard feelings that have developed over the past few months of uncertainty.

And then with a little more polish on the F2P beta, mostly balance and flow issues... they SHOULD be in a good position to come out of the gates strong for "relaunch"

So, for those of us (myself included) who have been rattling the cage doors lately, we should take a step back and try to rephrase our requests in a reasonable way and perhaps try to dial back the snark. Bbecause while it feels good to vent, it doesn't help motivate anything to change.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:

I've never seen any official confirmation before. Have a link?
I actually dont have, sorry... read it the first time a long while ago in some german game-sides preview even before launch... its prtey much the first information I have in mind I ever read about sto.... and since then it was mentioned here and there...
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
This is just hilarious.

I once owned a T-shirt company.
The entire business is based on tight deadlines. Customers gave me dates for the orders to be ready, I could not miss them as many were for single day events. If I had two days to do it, that's all I had no excuses.

If I missed a deadline, there was no way I could look that customer in the eye and tell then it was their fault for giving me such a tight deadline. That would be seen as just ludicrous and would have destroyed my business.

They accepted the terms of the deal, there is no one else to blame after that.

I am constantly amazed at how many rabbits you guys try to pull out of hats to blame everything on anyone besides Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Would you have preferred they didnt take the project and this game not exist at all?
No I would have been happy with 'half' a game if they had been truthfull from the onset.

People are very forgiving, they will forgive you if you are open and are honest. Instead we have had years of half truths, broken promises and vaporware.

Now at the end of it all, the final kick in the face, and last straw on the camels back(for me) is the god awfull deal for gold members and lifers and a quite amazing deal for people who dont have to pay cryptic a penny (or very little if they choose) to acess almost 100% of the game.

I almost feel like the game is a communist confidence trickster. They announce exclusives on Stoked (a propaganda site who never has a bad word to say) they recruit from stoked. They tell us wonderfull things are comming (that never come) they tell us we will get weekly episodes (which never came).

They nerf vet rewards, and suggest changes that will totally mess up pvp (friendly fire)

They put overpowered items in the c-store (despite telling us they would NEVER put ANYTHING in the C-store that had game altering stats)

So yes people are forgiving. But they dont forgive after the 3rd or 4th slap in the face. Unless you have stolkholm syndrome.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryhausen
This is just hilarious.

I once owned a T-shirt company.
The entire business is based on tight deadlines. Customers gave me dates for the orders to be ready, I could not miss them as many were for single day events. If I had two days to do it, that's all I had no excuses.

If I missed a deadline, there was no way I could look that customer in the eye and tell then it was their fault for giving me such a tight deadline. That would be seen as just ludicrous and would have destroyed my business.

They accepted the terms of the deal, there is no one else to blame after that.

I am constantly amazed at how many rabbits you guys try to pull out of hats to blame everything on anyone besides Cryptic.
The difference is your customers could have gone to someone else to get the same T-shirt if you couldnt deliver. There is no guarantee that anyone else would have picked up the STO license if Cryptic didnt. The fact that such an obscure company like Perpetual got it in the first place suggests there wasnt interest from the bigger MMO developers. So if Cryptic had not accepted the deadline we would probably not have a Trek MMO right now. Is that what you would prefer?
Closed Thread