Lt. Commander
# 1 My Brief Trial as a newbie
10-04-2011, 10:07 AM
As recommended by Cryptic I started a new character planning to level to VA. I decided to stick with this as if I were a new silver player, fresh to the game. Let me recount the sum of my brief experience:
  1. I created a new character on tribble and logged into the tutorial. However, I am unable to get past the step "Move Around" due to somehow bypassing whatever trigger was there. I had to delete my character
  2. Create a new character and made it through the tutorial. I found that I am able to go up about 2 levels per episode through Lt up until I hit Stopping the Signal. I felt pretty good about things, but this is where it all unraveled.
  3. Next mission is Stopping the Signal. It's a re-hash of the mission I just played ("aren't they all?" im starting to wonder). After repeat attempts (and failure) to beat this mission solo, I think you know why since there are plenty of threads about it, I decided this isn't worth my time to continue. So I looked at my mission log only to find there is nothing else available. Nothing left to do.
  4. I quit.

If you want to do this episode progression, make sure you leave multiple channels available. As of now I have no reason to ever go back to Tribble. If I am a silver player, and I hit the types of roadblocks I found, having not invested any money or time into the game, I won't be coming back. These types of problems/challenges should happen after Commander at the earliest once I've had time to invest time and decide that I'm up for it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
The leveling is accelerated on trible to help us test it better. Stop the Signal is fixed and will be pushed in the next patch.

They do need to open up multiple missions though, this is a MMO, not a linear game. Give us 2 to 3 missions to choose from at once.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
You have multiple missions , the problem is that its very easy to miss when u have some big pictures , all missions are there , you just need to click the Available tab , it happened to me too
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruderxxx
You have multiple missions , the problem is that its very easy to miss when u have some big pictures , all missions are there , you just need to click the Available tab , it happened to me too
thats not quite true, you have missions and you have patrols, sure you can do the patrols and outlevel the mission and start getting useless rewards, coupled with the lvling you get from the doff system it wont be long before the mission rewards are a whole rank or two below you so basically your forced to do content with next to no reward and no other choice once you run out of patrols, and since exploration is all dailies now i guess you could just fly around doing those because well what else are you going to do, especally if another mission bug pops up and gets everyone stuck.

Of course they could just scale the rewards of all mission, take the fe's out of the mission progression or offer the progression but not make it mandatory along with scaling the rewards, that way on your first time through you can just follow the story and on your 5th time through you just do the ones you like and skip the ones you dont.

but everything ive seen so far leans towards cryptic saying we dont care if your a sub, your going to do it our way or not at all, because we only care about f2pers, theyre our bread and butter you guys were nice when we needed you, we dont need you anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachenhaut View Post
but everything ive seen so far leans towards cryptic saying we dont care if your a sub, your going to do it our way or not at all, because we only care about f2pers, theyre our bread and butter you guys were nice when we needed you, we dont need you anymore.
While at the same time saying "we need you, so we can have someone beta test this content".
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-11-2011, 12:24 PM
It has been stated somewhere in these forums that the mission progression is intentional in order to experience the entire storyline without confusion. In other words, we are considered far too stupid to be able to play our own story and they are going to hold us at gunpoint until we see the entire thing from beginning to end.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
It has been stated somewhere in these forums that the mission progression is intentional in order to experience the entire storyline without confusion. In other words, we are considered far too stupid to be able to play our own story and they are going to hold us at gunpoint until we see the entire thing from beginning to end.
Wait, so this showstopping crap isn't accidental? I get converting various fronts into linear progressions, it was always possible to skip missions with hilarious effect and then go back and do them later but this isn't some testing version that's just ensuring everyone hits the content in a consistent pattern?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
It's not just intentional for the predictability reasons. It's intentional because they want your main source of XP's to be the missions so when they don't give you enough dilithium, you have a choice between being forever stuck or shelling out $ for dilithium.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkeRealm View Post
Wait, so this showstopping crap isn't accidental? I get converting various fronts into linear progressions, it was always possible to skip missions with hilarious effect and then go back and do them later but this isn't some testing version that's just ensuring everyone hits the content in a consistent pattern?
Last night on TTS chat someone stated that forced mission progression was the worst thing about the new changes on Tribble (in their opinion). A dev on the channel replied 'well, you're entitled to your opinion' or something to that effect. Basically, it seemed very dismissive. That doesn't sound like something you'd say if forced mission progression was temporary. Now, the dev may not have meant it that way but that's how it came across. And it confirmed (to me) that linear mission paths are intentional.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Last night on TTS chat someone stated that forced mission progression was the worst thing about the new changes on Tribble (in their opinion). A dev on the channel replied 'well, you're entitled to your opinion' or something to that effect. Basically, it seemed very dismissive. That doesn't sound like something you'd say if forced mission progression was temporary. Now, the dev may not have meant it that way but that's how it came across. And it confirmed (to me) that linear mission paths are intentional.

Z
And they have been dismissive since release. Sure, they post platitutes trying to allay our suspician but they have a tendancy to dissimulate when honesty would work best, then again, so do my children. I wonder if that means that children are running Cryptic ...