Lt. Commander
# 11
10-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
I rather like being the star of my own show.
Same here, I should be the next Captain of the Enterprise!

Though I don't like the backstory the game gives you, on the occasion I do RP, I use quite a different story for my character and he's a super-captain in that he's given decades of service to Starfleet and has been around the quadrant a few times.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
I have less trouble with it.

Given, by the time I'm a Captain, I've had literally HUNDREDS of missions.

I like to think I've been in Starfleet for years since the first mission.

:-)
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I too like being the star of my own show. But like with every MMO that god-mods your backstory, I completely ignore it and make up my own.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
Same here, I should be the next Captain of the Enterprise!
The game already seems to be full of sons and daughters of famous starship captains who aced the Kobayashi Maru test and completed his/her 6th doctorate at the age of 15. And dated the Borg Queen.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
I have less trouble with it.

Given, by the time I'm a Captain, I've had literally HUNDREDS of missions.

I like to think I've been in Starfleet for years since the first mission.

:-)
I always imagined that my character was still Captaining in the time I'm logged off.
So I assume even a Cdr. character of mine is a veteran of hundreds of missions and several years of command.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I thought the new tutorial changes that. So your not just foisted into command.
There is no "new tutorial". They just slightly changed the existing tutorial. You can see for yourself on Tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
I too like being the star of my own show. But like with every MMO that god-mods your backstory, I completely ignore it and make up my own.
^this. Each of my characters has their own story which, whilst in the games setting, isn't the actual missions i play through.

If i were to stick with the games story with all my characters it'd remind me of the skit in blackadder too much, where he lies about who he killed in battle, after one of the names his brother responds 'i killed him myself at one stage...'
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Nah.

I actually think it's better to work with the backstory. Imagine your poor ensign who has been forced into the role of being, essentially, the Klingon Red Baron. You've been forced into mission after mission and now you probably have a reputation as the Great Exterminator (to quote another franchise)

poor BoshTarg.

"I just wanted to scan comets! I didn't want this!"

Okay, I'm just kidding but I'm imagining poor Reginald Barclay as the character now.

Edit:

Actually I have a few mental tricks I do.

+ I assume that all of the Warp Core breeches are mostly the enemy ejecting them.

+ I assume my weapons are always on "Stun."

(Starfleet picks up the crews and prisoners I take for holding until after the war)

+ I assume the majority of Klingon and Romulan vessels I face are actually them just throwing badly trained conscripts into the war as much as regular trained crews.

+ I assume that Starfleet has an exaggerated opinion of me.

+ Also, a lot of those accolades are actually FROM the enemy who think I'm some sort of weird messianic worthy opponent.

(works best for the klingons)
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
There is no "new tutorial". They just slightly changed the existing tutorial. You can see for yourself on Tribble.
I thought the plan was that the tutorial was being replaced and the current one was gonna be a precursor to the Khitomer Accord STF. I call BS on this, lol.

Wasn't a new tutorial supposed to come in S4?
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
Interesting question,

Due to instancing, every character of Star Trek: Online is basically playing a single-player campaign built around the fact that he gets a Chris Pine Kirk-esque origin. He's promoted to lieutenant and given command of a garbage scow-esque ship - so it's SLIGHTLY more believable but the same basic principle applies.

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
Just because that's your ingame origin doesn't mean it has to be part of your characters biography. None of my characters fought at Vega Colony. They trained at Starfleet Academy, served on some ships and worked their way up to Captain.