Lt. Commander
# 51
10-08-2011, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
I stopped doing PvE missions a long time ago, there is simply no challenge in PvE, and thus no sense of progress or accomplishment. Other than in the 3 Borg STFs, there isnt even any loot worth the timeinvestment.. And now that they messed up PvP... Again... I havent actually played in 3-4 weeks.
Yeah, I mostly only play PvE because I really consider Star Trek: Online a single-player video game I can play indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyryck
Gee, are you inferring that Cryptic made STO as a "super-hero-in-space" type of MMO?
Hehe. Actually, the game does have something over City of Heroes. In Star Trek Online, the Player Character can pretty much be considered the ONLY Super-Captain in his particular instance. At the end of the day, I like to think the reason you're deluged with orders is that after you finish one of the fronts that every Admiral in Starfleet thinks you're EXACTLY the sort of hammer they need for whatever nail they have.

That Tellarite Admiral in the Khazan Cluster, though? GOD, I hate that guy because he basically says, "Yeah, you need to kill all these Klingons/Hirogen/Remans/etc here."

I like to pretend my character is constantly struggling with being considered Starfleet's personal attack Targ.

"It's five squadrons! I'm one ship! Are you insane?"

"You've done it before!"

Lt. Commander
# 52
10-08-2011, 04:54 AM
I can't say I'm a big fan of the "super captain" idea, but I can also see that it's the only real way to run episodes and very in keeping with the source materiel.

Personally, I divorce the "superhero" moments of my Lt Gen characters from their present reality - just as I do their rank (and, indeed, the rank of thier BOffs). Garmokh sutai Krahaan may have carried out some... unusual missions on behalf of Imperial Intelligence, but he's not the savious of the Empire.

Their written background more reflects my PVP skills... one is an exceptional staff officer but a mediocre combat captain, who gets interesting missions because II can trust him to keep his mouth shut. The other is a political appointee. And, actually, this works well with Lt Gen play where they spend most of their time exploring, duelling with the Federation (PVP) or fighting off Borg incursions (collaborative PVE).
Lt. Commander
# 53
10-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
I too like being the star of my own show. But like with every MMO that god-mods your backstory, I completely ignore it and make up my own.
Yep. One of my characters is a Starfleet Academy instructor with a ship full of cadets who has found himself stuck commanding a ship as a result of the Borg incursion on the Vega Colony. I find it enjoyable to explore what it's like to be less than ideal but forced into a particular role anyhow.
Lt. Commander
# 54
10-08-2011, 02:49 PM
We don't really HAVE a story to begin with. I mean, we really are all just cogs in the machine on each faction. Everyone has the same experiences and past deeds are only referred to as "We've heard alot of good things about you".

There is no unique storylines that only Engineers can explore, for example, and as for being super-captains, well we've seen Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer be larger than life so I really don't mind.

Lt. Commander
# 55
10-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
We don't really HAVE a story to begin with. I mean, we really are all just cogs in the machine on each faction. Everyone has the same experiences and past deeds are only referred to as "We've heard alot of good things about you".

There is no unique storylines that only Engineers can explore, for example, and as for being super-captains, well we've seen Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway and Archer be larger than life so I really don't mind.

Yeah, but that's not unique in RPGs either. Everyone's Commander Shepard is the same in Mass Effect and everyone's Grey Warden in Dragon Age saves the same world. I wouldn't mind more dialogue choices, though. One of the things I like about Coliseum was the fact that you could be a raging psychopath or a calm, reassuring, Federation officer to the Reman prisoner.
Lt. Commander
# 56
10-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I hate being a super captain, so I get around that by playing very poorly.
Lt. Commander
# 57
10-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
I hate being a super captain, so I get around that by playing very poorly.
What do you hate about being a super-captain?
Lt. Commander
# 58
10-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
Interesting question,

Due to instancing, every character of Star Trek: Online is basically playing a single-player campaign built around the fact that he gets a Chris Pine Kirk-esque origin. He's promoted to lieutenant and given command of a garbage scow-esque ship - so it's SLIGHTLY more believable but the same basic principle applies.

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
I actually just pretend that whole tutorial thing didn't happen for my character and make up a different back story and service record for him.

The whole super-captain thing comes from STO's progression being very similar to swords and sorcery MMO's where you're wandering the land and helping the people that live on it. Not a bad model necessarily, but it's not one I've been very fond of and would prefer a far more open world experience.

It does an okay job of putting your character front and center, making you feel like you're the star of a Star Trek TV show. I really want more 'cog in the machine' kind of feel though injected in there. Something that will hopefully happen if the PvP territory control game that's been mentioned comes out, or the Borg planet assimilation event and ones similar to it.