Lt. Commander
# 1 The Tutorial
10-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I haven't played since Season 3. In fact, I came back just to play on the F2P test shard.

Overall, I like the new visual effects and the different beam-in locations for each class. However, I found being in shooter mode to be somewhat confusing. I was unable to use the 'F' key to interact with quest givers while in shooter mode and had to switch to RPG mode.

Also, the tutorial popup explaining shooter mode needs to come earlier. If I remember correctly, the help box didn't explain how to use shooter mode until well after I already needed to know how to interact with NPCs.

Also, it might be nice to shorten the number of Borg ship encounters. I felt a bit bored with the very last Borg encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Tutorial Mission
10-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I liked how the tutorial mission had the characters starting in their assigned areas, but there was nothing to do while in the individual department. Much like some of the mission revamps there was always specific tasks that needed to be completed based on your character's class so something like that would be an added improvement.

Something else to consider would be the storyline for the tutorial. Something to add more consistency to the reasoning for captaining the ship:

Starts with the character's ship having taken damage from the Borg. The opening scene would be in the individual departments just like you have it, but the chiefs would be dead. There would be a point to scan them with a medical tricorder and that would trigger a pop up from the captain.

Captain: Chief....Chief.... Would somebody answer me...
Character button: The chief's dead sir.
Captain: Then you'll have to take over as the department chief until we get back to spacedock. Do you think you can handle that?
Character: Yes sir!
Captain: Good...I need you to report to the bridge immediately!

This would put the character as the most senior officer in the department and would be next in command should anything happen to the senior officers. The rest can play out as designed, but once Starfleet Academy is set as the start point for the game this entire scenario could be on the holodeck as the final full test before graduation from the academy.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I was kind of expecting an all new tutorial, not the same one just slightly tweeked, maybe something involving the Academy? But over all the few additions WERE pretty nice except for the shooter mode. Starting off in a mode that renders the mouse useless for shutting the insane amount of pop ups is a bad idea.
Lt. Commander
# 4 SFA involvement.
10-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I was hoping to involve Starfleet Academy in the tutorial. Say... when the player comes out of the tutorial, they start at SFA. then get assigned to their command. Otherwise, I agree with the previous posters about the tutorial just being tweeked.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-05-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm the same as the OP, and just resubbed to play on Tribble.

Starting in Shooter mode is terrible as you cannot interact with anything onscreen and there is no clue as to why. I assumed it was something to do with Mouselook and tried to enter the manual command to change it but that didn't help.

I'd advise starting in RPG mode or else people are going to get frustrated quickly.
Lt. Commander
# 6 Shooter Mode & Hints
10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
I have to agree with most of the other people here essentially.

I mean, I do like that the tutorial starts out in Shooter Mode because that is now the biggest distinction between STO and other MMOs. However, I think the part in the tutorial that tells you how to turn it off should be the very first thing, even before discussing the movement keys.

The only other thing that really sticks out is how with the hints/instructions you can now press a key to go to the next or close the boxes. This is a great Idea, I love it. I just don't like that it's the period. When I'm playing I have my left hand on the left side of the keyboard and my right hand on the mouse. That makes getting to the period rather awkward. Maybe think about using a different key like ` or something?

That's all for me.

Nolan@Oortael