Lt. Commander
Hello everyone, this is my very first post on these forums, with a somewhat out of the ordinary question about star ship weapons - atleast.. I think it is.

I'm currently at Lt. Commander level, playing a Science Officer. Being a new player I was VERY excited to get my first Science Vessel.
Shortly before hitting Lt. Commander I did the Coliseum mission. I picked the [Reman Prototype Covariant Shield Array Mk XI] (I totally copy pasted that from the wiki...), when I put it on my Light Cruiser I was VERY excited to see my cruiser turn into a very cool, dark and shiny green ship.
I immediately fell in love with the look and frantically asked kind people, who had helped me learn some of the basics of STO, if I could get matching weapons - colorwise. They told me disruptor or plasma.
I went with plasma due to the more pale green hue slightly better fitting to the Reman colors.

I'm currently in the process of doing the 'Cold Call' series, which apparantly rewards a purple set, called 'breen absolute zero'.

I'm very much into cosmetics and terribly vain for a guy in a star ship.. I'd like my weapons to match my Ship's hull.

So here's my question - finally:

Compared to the Reman shield, is the Breen one better for a Sci vessel? Or any vessel for that matter.
If so I'd like matching weapons..

My current setup is Dual Beam Banks and Torpedo launcher up front, and my aft has 2 turrets.. All plasma.

Now I actually did some research and found that Polaron or Tetryon seem to fit colorwise with the Breen set :3,

So which of the two would you pick? Is there a 'better one'?

Also I noticed there was no torpedos of those types, but I think Quantom has a fairly 'icy' color?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance!

Adin
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-10-2011, 07:04 AM
The color of your weapons means little, I would look more into functionality...

As a vice admiral sci officer I use the breen absolute set...including the shield.
It is honestly a personal decision that you will have to make for your character.

Reman Covariant: 10% Bleedthrough
Breen Resilient: 5% Bleedthrough, 5% Absorption

Using the resilient shield lets less weapons fire penetrate the shields. The resilient shield also functions very well with both the Polaran Defelector and the Tacyon Defelector, but not so much with the standard or graviton.

Also again the choice of your weapons is based on functionality, not color.
Plasma: 2% chance to start Plasma fire, a very useless ability as most sci officers can negate it.
Phaser: 2% chance to disable a subsystem, a semi useful ability

The other weapons also have little abilities that are not very useful.
So depending on what you perfer, any could work for you.
In my opinion, since I use some spatial anamoly powers the phaser weapons have a decidedly nasty side effect of disabling the targets engines...

Hope some of this helps
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinirahc View Post
Hello everyone, this is my very first post on these forums, with a somewhat out of the ordinary question about star ship weapons - atleast.. I think it is.

I'm currently at Lt. Commander level, playing a Science Officer. Being a new player I was VERY excited to get my first Science Vessel.
Shortly before hitting Lt. Commander I did the Coliseum mission. I picked the [Reman Prototype Covariant Shield Array Mk XI] (I totally copy pasted that from the wiki...), when I put it on my Light Cruiser I was VERY excited to see my cruiser turn into a very cool, dark and shiny green ship.
I immediately fell in love with the look and frantically asked kind people, who had helped me learn some of the basics of STO, if I could get matching weapons - colorwise. They told me disruptor or plasma.
I went with plasma due to the more pale green hue slightly better fitting to the Reman colors.

I'm currently in the process of doing the 'Cold Call' series, which apparantly rewards a purple set, called 'breen absolute zero'.

I'm very much into cosmetics and terribly vain for a guy in a star ship.. I'd like my weapons to match my Ship's hull.

So here's my question - finally:

Compared to the Reman shield, is the Breen one better for a Sci vessel? Or any vessel for that matter.
If so I'd like matching weapons..

My current setup is Dual Beam Banks and Torpedo launcher up front, and my aft has 2 turrets.. All plasma.

Now I actually did some research and found that Polaron or Tetryon seem to fit colorwise with the Breen set :3,

So which of the two would you pick? Is there a 'better one'?

Also I noticed there was no torpedos of those types, but I think Quantom has a fairly 'icy' color?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance!

Adin
The Breen set offers no visual other than an icy effect on the impulse engines. The Engine and Deflector are nice together though, they grant a bonus to Transphasic weapons if you like them but probably more importantly they also buff the power transfer rate and will allow you to use your Reman shield.

As for the Polaron and Tetryon weapons, I'm not sure they're available at LTC. Tetryon may be available but Polaron is not usually available until later in the game, I think the earliest is Mk VII but I'm not 100% on that and is a T5 skill anyway so you wouldn't be able to spend skill points to buff them until you hit RA.

If you're going for visual sets, with weapons that look similar then Tetryons and Quantums are a very similar colour; a pale, icy blue. The proc from Tetryon weapons doesn't scale well but at Commander they're nice and Quantums hit very hard for a weapon with such a short cooldown.
Disruptor's and Plasma torpedoes are also a very similar colour, a darker green rather than the pale green of Plasma. Disruptors also have a nice damage resistance debuff proc that will go nicely with your Sensor Analysis andSensor Scan, they're also cheap to spec into.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Thank you very much for the help, both of you.

Quote:
The color of your weapons means little, I would look more into functionality...
I realize my weapon choices may not be optimal, but I'm not looking to be the best of the best. I'm merely trying to play the game the way I enjoy it. And to me that is flying around in a ship I feel looks really nice, with matching weapons, while at the same time being able to finish most PvE content, I was never that much into PVP anyways.

Once again thanks for the useful information.

Adin
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
For PvE it isn't required to have an optimal build, once you get the hang of things you can get away with murder when it comes to setting your ship up. The only PvE where it helps to have a well setup ship is the STFs and maybe the Orellius sector Borg DSE (because it's tough and timed, but it can be steamrolled with a good team). Nowhere else will your choice of weapons really hurt you, especially not when you're only talking about the energy type of the beams on your Science ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-10-2011, 09:13 AM
That's a relief to know! :3
Thank you once again.. I shall proceed to play according to which beams match the hull of my ship.

Adin