MACO troops are short on words, but long on action.
Just the facts…
The Military Assault Command Operations (MACO) division is a branch of 12th fleet responsible for providing power projection from space onto ground, using the mobility of Starfleet to deliver combined-arms task forces rapidly.
MACO serves as an expeditionary force-in-readiness and has three primary areas of responsibility:
1. The seizure or defense of advanced star bases and other land operations to support Starfleet campaigns;
2. The development of tactics, technique, and equipment used by landing forces; and
3. Any other duties as needed to accomplish the mission.
MACO fulfills a vital role in security as a space-air-ground combined arms task force, capable of forcible entry from space, air, land, and sea. It is capable of asymmetric warfare with conventional, irregular, and hybrid forces. The ability of MACO to permanently maintain integrated multi-element task forces under a single command provides a smoother implementation of combined-arms warfare principles
While MACO does not employ any unique combat arms, as a force it has the unique ability to rapidly deploy a combined-arms task force to almost anywhere in the universe within a moment’s notice. It is this ability that gives it a strong role in the implementation and execution of Federation foreign policy.
This focus on ground combat is matched with the doctrine that "Every MACO is a weapon", emphasizing the combat abilities of every MACO. All MACOs, regardless of military specialization, receive training as a ground combatant.
A few things you might want to consider when thinking about if the MACO Division is right for you:
1. STFs: We run these for fun. We also develop the tactics that are taught and used in beating STFs with consistent repeatable strategies.
2. Ground PVP: We do Ground PVP and War Zone PVE missions that can evolve into PVPs on a regular basis.
3. Training: We develop training sessions that seek to improve your ability to “think outside the box” when you get into Ground PVP, PVE, and STFs. MACOs just don’t run and shoot; we use strategy and tactics to get the job done efficiently and effectively.
4. Combat Briefing: Since MACO troops are the first to hit the ground running (be it combat, scouting or initial strike teams), we rely heavily on reports from the squads. MACO squads review different ground aspects of STO and report on new developments that we may encounter and develop the tactics to counter them.
A MACO soldier has to be proficient in many aspects of STO in order to accomplish the mission. The focus of MACO is ground warfare in pvp and pve, as well as mastering STFs. As MACO, one will have access to many opportunities for space warfare, ground warfare, crafting, intelligence gathering, and more... all while maintaining that focus and division specialization on ground warfare.
So if you're the kind of soldier who likes to experience many aspects of the game without forsaking other parts, the kind of soldier who loves to kill enemies (in space and on ground) on a regular and consistent basis, the kind of soldier who wants to be part of a STO family.. then we might be just who you are looking for.
We are a band of brothers, a crazy family to have fun with, and some great friends with whom to socialize. If this sounds good to you, then go ahead and check the box for MACO. You'll be glad you did.
Though I'm not in maco myself I must say that maco has a big influence on our fleet. Join them and you won't regret it. They're a fun bunch of crazy people with a love for romulan ale, stf's and ground combat.
I'm a newbie myself when it comes to STF's, but the runs they organise are very efficient and they take the time to explain things when stuff isn't clear, allowing you to excel in those missions. On top of that they also have a nice ribbon award system in place too, that awards you for your efforts.
It's fair to say that we wouldn't have the same fleet without maco. ^_^
You can only achieve so much from space, in the shows we saw the real action more often take place on the ground or aboard ships than in space combat. After all, it's kinda hard to take over a ship with just ship weapons. You gotta get in there to subdue the resistance if you plan to take over their ship. The only other alternative you have otherwise would be to blow them up.
Same goes for ground combat, when you want to take over a city and keep it mostly intact you'll send in the ground troops. If you look at it then MACO serves a very important function.