Lt. Commander
# 61
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Galloway
Just to gain a little perspective; sure, the cost for some of the c-store items have gone up, but I think it's worth bearing in mind that the game is going FREE to play.
You're missing one important point: The experience you are having on Tribble right now is the experience they are planning for GOLD players, subscribers who are already paying $15/month. Also, one of the main complaints right now is that you need to grind to get a ship, while previously you were given a ship for free on rank-up. This is a significant change, especially when coupled with the much more limited Dilithium resource needed to buy all ships.
Lt. Commander
# 62
10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
We have not made any changes to make ships unlock per character. All ships should still unlock account wide.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
No, but you did increase the price of the Tier 5 retrofits from 1200CP to 1600CP and nearly doubled the cost of the retrain token and some other consumables.

It's nice that the price of the Rhode Island and some other unlocks were cut in half, but tacking that 400CP on to the retrofits was kind of a tacky thing to do.

One of the core problems you're facing right now with your item store is that you don't have enough cheap consumable unlocks. As a long-time Turbine player, I can tell you that the items I spend the most money on are cosmetics (costumes/uniforms), accelerators (for deeds and sometimes XP/item xp), and consumable potions.

You're going to need items like that to make an item store work.
Lt. Commander
# 63
10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklinaar
Why have C-Store prices gone up across the board on Tribble? It says at the below link that prices would not go up.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_faq#16
Oh, that's easy, they lied again, and crypticspeak for "we don't have any plans to change that" means exactly the opposite to anyone that has been playing since release. I swear, they don't even know what the truth actually is anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 64
10-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
Oh, that's easy, they lied again, and crypticspeak for "we don't have any plans to change that" means exactly the opposite to anyone that has been playing since release. I swear, they don't even know what the truth actually is anymore.
It says currently. It doesn't say the won't. It doesn't say they won't try test marketing them at higher price points. It just says that they didn't, as of the FAQ's creation, have any plans.
Lt. Commander
# 65
10-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
You're missing one important point: The experience you are having on Tribble right now is the experience they are planning for GOLD players, subscribers who are already paying $15/month. Also, one of the main complaints right now is that you need to grind to get a ship, while previously you were given a ship for free on rank-up. This is a significant change, especially when coupled with the much more limited Dilithium resource needed to buy all ships.
In all fairness, I didn't "miss" that point, in fact I covered it quite extensively in the rest of my post... Y'know, the stuff you didn't quote. The stuff you quoted wasn't meant to be read in isolation, it was meant to be read with the rest of my post...

I'm not sure why you mention dilithium here though. I agree, it's a major issue for most people, and I, like you, would much rather it be changed to the current Holodeck system of ship purchase... but that's not what we're really talking about here. We're discussing the C-Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer42 View Post
It says currently. It doesn't say the won't. It doesn't say they won't try test marketing them at higher price points. It just says that they didn't, as of the FAQ's creation, have any plans.
I'm inclined to agree; the language used was very specific to imply that things could very well change. The increased prices were hardly out of the blue or completely unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
No, but you did increase the price of the Tier 5 retrofits from 1200CP to 1600CP and nearly doubled the cost of the retrain token and some other consumables.

It's nice that the price of the Rhode Island and some other unlocks were cut in half, but tacking that 400CP on to the retrofits was kind of a tacky thing to do.

One of the core problems you're facing right now with your item store is that you don't have enough cheap consumable unlocks. As a long-time Turbine player, I can tell you that the items I spend the most money on are cosmetics (costumes/uniforms), accelerators (for deeds and sometimes XP/item xp), and consumable potions.

You're going to need items like that to make an item store work.
I also agree quite vehemently, Turbine store consumables are typically cheap in comparison to the other stuff in their stores. I think it's quite unfair to expect people to pay huge sums of points for something they'll use once and will provide only a few hours of benefits - if even. Granted, the exp boost in the only thing that's really "consumable" in the C-Store, but something tells me that the pattern will be followed should more consumables be added.
Lt. Commander
# 66
10-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklinaar
Why have C-Store prices gone up across the board on Tribble? It says at the below link that prices would not go up.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_faq#16
seriously they are going free to play which means the c store will be there only source of income did you really think the prices would not go up???

why do most of the folks on here act like they live in a bubble and no dont show me a link where they said things would not go up......im not really caring things change in life get over it or just dont buy it omg
Lt. Commander
# 67
10-07-2011, 01:47 PM
not all ships are unlocked mine still need cpoints to buy....i have a the excel on the holo deck and i dont have it on the tribble... how long untill thats fixed
Lt. Commander
# 68
10-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowkiller75
not all ships are unlocked mine still need cpoints to buy....i have a the excel on the holo deck and i dont have it on the tribble... how long untill thats fixed
It probably won't be fixed, considering that I doubt that it's actually a "Bug" to begin with.

I quote from the 5th dev diary when I say "we want to find out what C-Store items you value most". It would be hard for them to do that if you already have all of the C-Store purchases in the first place.

EDIT: Following is a paragraph taken from the above mentioned dev diary that more precisely addresses the issue.
Quote:
First, Tribble is a special case test environment like nothing we've done before. Nothing you have unlocked on Holodeck will appear as unlocked on Tribble. Tribble is a completely closed environment. We are isolating this environment so we can see how the game looks to players who are not arriving with 20 months of purchases behind them, and to see how the game holds up.
Lt. Commander
# 69
10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
Do you think the price changes could be to help offset the monthly C-point allowance Gold members are suppose to get?
My! How convenient! Too bad for them they put in writing that prices would not go up.
Lt. Commander
# 70
10-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Sisko View Post
seriously they are going free to play which means the c store will be there only source of income did you really think the prices would not go up???

why do most of the folks on here act like they live in a bubble and no dont show me a link where they said things would not go up......im not really caring things change in life get over it or just dont buy it omg
There was a post by dStahl a while back that stated the prices would not go.

Interesting to note that he bounced right before F2P, most likely because he did not want to bow to his new masters.

Wish others would have the same gumption.