Lt. Commander
# 11
10-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeochins
Yes $4000 USD.

Apparently there are people who have spent upwards of $30,000 USD in the 3 years that game has been operational.
Tier 5 Connie!

Now $3999.99, only on C-Store!
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeochins
Hate to say it, but now that Cryptic was bought by Perfect World Entertainment you'll see more of this pay-to-win stuff and ridiculous requirements for non paying members.

The flagship game of Cryptics owners:
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

For some background: You spend $4000 for the best in-game items.
Yikes. Reading that board is depressing, the cynical way they talk about dishing out gobs of money like that and how the devs are screwing them over is just....pitiful.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Holy cow I must have missed a lot in these blogs. Refine limits per day and ships sold in the c-store are now per character?

Did they mention people who already bought ships and what to make new characters?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
So long as there are idiots who are willing to spend more than a car payment on 1's and 0's, they will continue on to this model.

Our only hope is that CBS yanks the license away before this crappy Asian pay-to-win-at-exorbitant-prices model tarnishes the IP.

And, if you think CBS can't yank it away, think again; whenever a company is acquired or merged with, all contracts are subject to review.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
We should get CBS in on this
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-06-2011, 10:22 PM
many asian grinders that are F2P cost tons of money i used to play one and me and my wife could spend 500$ each in a month and still want more and a few of the other players in that game that had the uber gear told me that they spent 1000$ every month in my opinion F2P games are the most expensive type of game you can play
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-06-2011, 10:41 PM
$500 a month? $1000 a month? That seems to it politely, obsessive. That would pay utility bills, car payments or a house note for the month.

As much as I enjoy the IP and parts of this game, I can't see myself spending above $15 a month IF that once it goes free to play. I used to play Sword of the New World or Sword2 and while I loved the theme and music the grind was horrendous. The only up side is you could literally set your party up properly and walk away from the keyboard and it would auto grind.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachinsd View Post
many asian grinders that are F2P cost tons of money i used to play one and me and my wife could spend 500$ each in a month and still want more and a few of the other players in that game that had the uber gear told me that they spent 1000$ every month in my opinion F2P games are the most expensive type of game you can play
I hear that I have a stack of old Runes of Magic cards to prove that. Housing rental became almost like a monthly free. But boy were those houses magnificent. You could craft, store items, and even hire house keepers to cook and give you buffs. Heck if housing was a one time free I would probably still be there. Wish WoW had housing, wish STO had housing.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonJean
I used to play Sword of the New World or Sword2 and while I loved the theme and music the grind was horrendous. The only up side is you could literally set your party up properly and walk away from the keyboard and it would auto grind.
Ye gods.....I remember beta testing that, before the decide to make it F2P.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuboyT View Post
Ye gods.....I remember beta testing that, before the decide to make it F2P.
Same, I was in the EU beta, the amazingly bad English and French translation errors was also a great reason to play. I just STO doesn't go down this path.

If STO winds up being a Korean level type grind.... We'll I'm just glad I already have an Sci and Eng at VA. I'll just never roll an alt or if I do, I'll take an insanely long time to level her.

Thank god for the pre-order connie and it's phasers that level up with you.