Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
10-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeochins
No you dont have to buy all that gold with real money. Real money is just the way to do it faster. Otherwise, to attain the same level of equipment you need to invest 10 minutes - 1 hour per instance run for the equivalent of 400,000 in game units of currency. The conversion rate from in game currency to gold is hovering at 1.1 million to 1.6 million due to the auction style they use to convert.
I think you are missing my overall point. There might be, as you say, many people running around in $8,000 worth of gear but I seriously doubt those people are paying $8,000 for it. The only people who would pay $8,000 for gear in a average-at-best FTP MMO are ultra-wealthy individuals who no longer have a sense of the value of money- like the Billionaire's son who dropped $135k on a bottle of champagne for Heather Graham yesterday. You cannot compare what crazy mega-rich people will do with normal people. My godfather has spent over a year now doing nothing but traveling around the world. He has spent nearly half a million dollars doing that, but he is worth over $50 million and he does not care, so to him it all seems sane.

Most people playing FTP games do so because they do not have a lot of disposable cash. Even though they might end up spending the same couple of hundred a year a monthly Subscriber pays they do so for the things they want rather then just the generic gear the game gives you for a Sub fee.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
10-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I think you are missing my overall point. There might be, as you say, many people running around in $8,000 worth of gear but I seriously doubt those people are paying $8,000 for it. The only people who would pay $8,000 for gear in a average-at-best FTP MMO are ultra-wealthy individuals who no longer have a sense of the value of money- like the Billionaire's son who dropped $135k on a bottle of champagne for Heather Graham yesterday. You cannot compare what crazy mega-rich people will do with normal people. My godfather has spent over a year now doing nothing but traveling around the world. He has spent nearly half a million dollars doing that, but he is worth over $50 million and he does not care, so to him it all seems sane.

Most people playing FTP games do so because they do not have a lot of disposable cash. Even though they might end up spending the same couple of hundred a year a monthly Subscriber pays they do so for the things they want rather then just the generic gear the game gives you for a Sub fee.
I understand your point, but I am simply telling you that you're wrong given the game mechanics, and demographics.

I dont think you comprehend the fact that the time investments are too steep for people with low amounts of disposable cash. You play to have fun. Its not necessarily fun when you are barred from content because you dont meet the equipment requirements.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
the entire setup is horrible.
KDF more broken than before. Pretty hard to beleive.
Can't get a ship to save my life in either faction
Thank goodness this is in test because if I had to play this live I would have left
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
10-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I call bull.
Don't. There's a reason why Perfect World grew up to become a big company despite their own games being horrible garbage (I played PW for months).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
10-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeochins
I understand your point, but I am simply telling you that you're wrong given the game mechanics, and demographics.

I dont think you comprehend the fact that the time investments are too steep for people with low amounts of disposable cash. You play to have fun. Its not necessarily fun when you are barred from content because you dont meet the equipment requirements.
I am addressing something you said in your original post:

Quote:
Players go around in that game with full +12 armors for a grand spanking total of $9090 USD.
That implies that people are either spending the $9,000 or they are grinding for it. If these people do exist in the game (and I assume they do because you have seen them) I seriously doubt they are spending $9,000 for gear in a FTP MMO. I seriously doubt any sane person would spend even $1,000 for gear in a FTP MMO. So they obviously must be getting in ways other then grind it for 20,000 hours. But I do not consider 2,000-4,000 hours of play to be an unreasonable number. There are people who have been playing a single character on WoW for years who probably have 5,000-10,000 /played hours invested into the character to get all the best gear.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
10-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
May PW one day have the fate of the first 1701



Pretty much the time IS NOW for buying up stuff. I have the money...but I almost don't want to waste it, especially after buying the Collector's Edition of TOR :p . I'm really against all this P2W ship crap...but I guess I'll either be forced to put aside my thoughts to get one of those ships now through cash...or wait for the looooooooooooooong grind.....ah screw it, I'll stick with my morals (unlike Cryptic) and not buy those ships....I'd rather be at a disadvantage for having morals and ethics.
You know if your a subscriber in two months you get enough c-store points to buy the ship FOR FREE.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
10-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
DON'T PANIC!!! C-Store ships are still account wide. Confirmed by Stephen D'Angelo. Any ship that isn't account wide is a bug.

But there is a daily limit on how much Dilithium you can turn into it's cash form.
Thank god. I was about t send a strongly worded letter that may have got me into legal trouble


Edit: Nevermind.... I think I may still end up ****ed off at the end of all this. I'm starting to think my LTS was a waste, and my desire to not prop up a SW game is falling near the point where I may by TOR
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
10-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I am addressing something you said in your original post:



That implies that people are either spending the $9,000 or they are grinding for it. If these people do exist in the game (and I assume they do because you have seen them) I seriously doubt they are spending $9,000 for gear in a FTP MMO. I seriously doubt any sane person would spend even $1,000 for gear in a FTP MMO. So they obviously must be getting in ways other then grind it for 20,000 hours. But I do not consider 2,000-4,000 hours of play to be an unreasonable number. There are people who have been playing a single character on WoW for years who probably have 5,000-10,000 /played hours invested into the character to get all the best gear.
In other words, STO, which was up until now perfectly playable by a casual gamer with a few hours a week, should be like an Eastern MMO where top gear is only achievable by people willing to waste either large amounts of time or money?

*slow clap*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
10-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I am addressing something you said in your original post:



That implies that people are either spending the $9,000 or they are grinding for it. If these people do exist in the game (and I assume they do because you have seen them) I seriously doubt they are spending $9,000 for gear in a FTP MMO. I seriously doubt any sane person would spend even $1,000 for gear in a FTP MMO. So they obviously must be getting in ways other then grind it for 20,000 hours. But I do not consider 2,000-4,000 hours of play to be an unreasonable number. There are people who have been playing a single character on WoW for years who probably have 5,000-10,000 /played hours invested into the character to get all the best gear.
Unfortunately no. It seems we've reached an impasse. There is nothing that can be said to nonbelievers such as you besides asking people to post their credit card statements of last December.

I invite you to play Perfect World. If you can grind out your $8000 worth of equipment in less than 3,333 hours then come back here and let us know.

I'll even give you a hint: Pick Assassin.

If you want to hit 20,000 hours pick Wizard.

Otherwise, let us know how much money you spent to get good equipment there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
10-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Yet another false "Doom" thread that is based on rumors that the OP has heard and not bothered to confirm or search for dev replies on the topics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtEliz
Hi

ohh yeah did i mention ur bridge officers can die if u send em on missions O.o good god hope they limit it so ur unique and never replaceable reeman and borg officers dont die O.o

It's not the Bridge Officers that can die, it's the Duty Officers and it has been mentioned several times by the devs that rare Duty Officers can't die.

And oh yes did i forgot to mention the ships u buy from c store is Per charakter instead of account.
and also prices went up instead of down way to go will this stay like this ?

Ships are still account wide, there is no indication in the C-Store on Tribble that they are per character. If some are only given for one character at the moment then it sounds like the bug we had on the Holodeck some time back. Also it has been mentioned by the devs that they will remain account wide.

dilithium on story mission will fill the gap yes or no ?

"One thing in common between the various ways to get Dilithium Ore is that they are limited to once-a-day activities or to activities only open during certain hours of the day. This is not accidental."

quoted from the explanation from the new so called mr boss.

"Existing players are probably used to getting a "free ship token" at each rank up. With the new changes, the discount plus the Refined Dilithium award will often not be enough to get a ship. It will be close to enough at the lower ranks, but there will be a larger gap at the higher ranks. We expect that players will need to spend a portion of their time as they level up doing daily missions and other means to acquire Dilithium. If they do so, they should generally have more than enough to acquire a ship at rank-up. If, however, they have not been participating in the daily content, they may find that there is a gap they need to fill."

Doing 2-5 dailies per grade gives you enough to buy the ship when you get the new grade. Takes you maybe 1-3 hours extra so it's nothing major.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM.