Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
10-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We do indeed have the prices wrong (perhaps even by an order of magnitude) on the gear and such that sells for Dilithium. We had a lot of focus in the team on getting the sources of Dilithium hooked up and working, and did not pay as much attention to the back end pricing yet as we probably should have. We will be reviewing the pricing to make it a lot more sane, because I agree with you that it's painful right now to do quite a few things.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
cool, i know getting a balance right is not easy.

i do honestly 100% believe that things have been too easy to get in the last 18 months, and making things a little harder is, in my opinion, good for the game and adds value to these items rather than just another purple item to add to the stack. dont make stuff too easy.

its good to make dilithium valuable and worth people time or to have them converted to c-points, but weapons should not be costing as much as a starship. that is over the top.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We do indeed have the prices wrong (perhaps even by an order of magnitude) on the gear and such that sells for Dilithium. We had a lot of focus in the team on getting the sources of Dilithium hooked up and working, and did not pay as much attention to the back end pricing yet as we probably should have. We will be reviewing the pricing to make it a lot more sane, because I agree with you that it's painful right now to do quite a few things.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Heh, this seems a little funny after my post regarding the possible extra 0
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-08-2011, 12:02 PM
hopefully its situated before i get my tribble toon pas the point of nearly free ships......or maybe i'll be able to pick up some cstore ships....as i don't mind grinding to check out the content for you, but i'd prolby give up if i had to grind just to get a ship so that i could test content for you.....know what im sayin?

thanx for letting us know you guys agree sometihng needs to be done. We all appreciate it
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-08-2011, 12:10 PM
This is what was said

Quote:

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
This is how much of it I believe after almost 2 years of dealings with Cryptic

Quote:
* * the * * . We * * have * * wrong (* * by * * of * ) * the * * such * * for * . * had * * of * * the * * getting * * of * hooked * * working, * * not * * much * * the * * pricing * * we * * have. * * be * * pricing * * it * * more *, * I * * you * * painful * * to * * a * *.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
I am very sorry but as my sig says, your credibility as a company is shot and you need to start paying more attention to rebuilding confidence and trust than fiddling with a broken f2p system.

The statements that we would notice few changes and we would not be losing anything seem to be nothing more than a misdirection to buy time until the changes are implemented against our collective will.

I am not stating this as an attack but so that you can actually SEE how much faith has been lost in Cryptic by this community.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-08-2011, 12:17 PM
One thing I did was went and paid EC for normal odd mk gear for my current level (at the sacrifice of not being able to do my uniform re-ranking). Yeah, it's not as good as even mk gear, but it is marginally better than the mk 2 or mk 4 gear we get with the ship... and it does make just that little bit of difference.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
I'm cautiously relieved to hear that. I think that, ideally, outfitting a ship/character with dilithium should take roughly the same amount of time as badges of exploration. However, I'd be somewhat satisfied (though not really happy) if I could at least buy one or two items a day. It would be better than grinding for weeks, at least.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
cool, i know getting a balance right is not easy.

i do honestly 100% believe that things have been too easy to get in the last 18 months, and making things a little harder is, in my opinion, good for the game and adds value to these items rather than just another purple item to add to the stack. dont make stuff too easy.

its good to make dilithium valuable and worth people time or to have them converted to c-points, but weapons should not be costing as much as a starship. that is over the top.
Revo, as fast as you level up in the game it becomes a constant gear chase, get geared for Lt. CMdr then poof you spend half of Commander with LtCmdr gear while you run around to gear at the Cmdr level. The whole thing is a problem of the leveling pace in this game and the problem with that is there is not enough story content to keep you entertained while leveling. So what did they decide to do? Rush you through leveling to end game and make the gear easier to get.

Cryptic has two choices here but first off, I am not against F2P, just that they are not ready to take STO F2P.

Slow the pace of leveling down:
Add more lower level content
Can have gear a little harder to obtain
Better seperation in rarity

Keep the current pace:
Develop an array of endgame features
More STF, Fleet Actions, Events etc....
More feature systems like the Foundry and the Doff system to keep endgamers occupied

Those are just the things off the top of my head. Regardless, there is not enough mission style content in this game to support two factions at either a slower paced leveling or fast paced end-game. For the F2P I mostly expected we would see this mission-type content fleshed out more.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Shrvk
Revo, as fast as you level up in the game it becomes a constant gear chase, get geared of Lt. CMdr then poof you spend half of Commander with LtCmdr gear while you run around to gear at the Cmdr level. The whole thing is a problem of the leveling pace in this game and the problem with that is there is not enough story content to keep you entertained while leveling. So what did they decide to do? Rush you through leveling to end game and make the gear easier to get.

Cryptic has two choices here but first off, I am not against F2P, just that they are not ready to take STO F2P.

Slow the pace of leveling down:
Add more lower level content
Can have gear a little harder to obtain
Better seperation in rarity

Keep the current pace:
Develop an array of endgame features
More STF, Fleet Actions, Events etc....
More feature systems like the Foundry and the Doff system to keep endgamers occupied

Those are just the things off the top of my head. Regardless, there is not enough mission style content in this game to support two factions at either a slower paced leveling or fast paced end-game. For the F2P I mostly expected we would see this mission-type content fleshed out more.
I do not believe that the current levelling pace is to be permanent, rather, it has been dramatically sped up to test as much as possible in the time allotted. It should be evened out quite a lot as the testing continues and as they come to their senses with the dilithium vs cstore issues.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm wondering why don't they use EC for acquiring and training Boffs instead of Dilithium?

It adds a needed EC sink, plus the concept of Boffs consuming Dilithium makes me suspect we are trying to poison our Boffs since isn't Dilithium somewhat toxic? Although since there are Boffs that are purchased in the C-store, I can see a reason why acquiring new Boffs via a vender can cost Dilithium. So why not set it up like this. Common quality (white) Boffs cost EC, higher quality (Green/Blue/Purple) Boffs would be sold at venders using Dilithium. This way someone who is Dilithium poor is able to buy a simple Boff if they choose to, but if you want the best boffs you can buy you need Dilithium or C-store points, (Or accomplish an ingame task that grants a Boff, such as Diplomacy 4's cross faction Boff, or the STF Liberated Borg, or the Featured Episode Boffs when a Featured Episode is being first run or during a FE replay.)

Also shouldn't we use EC for customizing and renaming our ships instead of Dilihtium?
Again this serves as an EC sink and such customization of appearance and bridges and names are things that don't make sense as consuming Refined Dilithium. it isn't like these are items that would ever have a place in the C-Store so why use Dilithium for these?

Since Captain/Character skill respects are sold in the C-Store, I can see these being offered using Dilithium, this keeps a Dilithium spec and equates to how a C-store purchase can be made using ingame means.

As I see it trivial (acquiring common Boffs or Gear from vendors for example) and mandatory tasks (training Boffs) should be handled with EC, while more meaningful transactions (Acquiring a new ship, or high quality 'vender' equipment (gear/Boffs if such a Boff store is added) should be Dilithium based.

Also Another possible idea for the 'Request Duty Officier tab' in the Duty officier window.
How about we can 'request' a single white/common Doff at a time using EC (Beginer that is Dilithium poor who just needs a body that fills a specific specialization due to the randomness of the lottery/trading packs) or an individual can request a green Doff using either just Dilithium, or a combination of Dilithium and EC.

There would be cool downs on how frequently Doffs can be purchased via this manner as this would be a method to plug a gap in a duty roster, not to fill the duty roster so the cool down could easily be several days to a week, but that way people can fill holes in their duty roster without praying to the random number generator deity... or for Q to be merciful.

For example I have on Tribble around 70 Doffs... I have never received a single Security Doff that has the Security Specialization, thus all the assignments that require one are locked to me. If you want to trust in random chance, the current assignments work fine, but if your looking to fill a specific hole in your roster, 'a request/purchase/whatever you want to call it' might be appropriate.

This would add yet another EC and Dilithium sink to the economy.
Blue and Purple Doffs (and rarer specialization/race combos and perhapse some rarer specializations) would no doubt NOT be obtainable via this in-game method as they should be rare/very rare, while greens are just uncommon, but are at least assured to not die on you, unless your a KDF who decides to execute an incompetent crew-member.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
That said you should throw dailies out the window right now. MMOs are now realizing the mistake of making progression be based on forcing people to log in every single day. Instead of getting the jump on this issue and modernizing yourself, you just took this game back 5 years. If you don't log in every single day and do every single daily available to you, you won't see a single fully equipped character (in a game that is not supposed to be about how powerful your equipment is) for up to a year.
Please listen to this bit right here. I absolutely detest having to log in every day to earn something. That makes it into a chore. When I want to play, I want to be making progress and enjoying myself. With dailies, when I feel like playing, there's not enough to do to fill me time. But I still don't make very much progress because I can't play like that every day.