Lt. Commander
# 21
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
There are no "rare" datachips -- you have an equal chance of getting each one.
Actually currently you only seem to be able to get chapter 1 or chapter 2 datachips of each volume.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I find the Lore quests pretty fun.

However, I feel that 101 is unnecessary, it be nice if the Datachip was required for 102 to answer the day's trivia.

And if you got a repeat chip (already unlocked the accolade), there needs ot be something that you have a choice to turn in the chip than trade with another player (which is hard to do on Tribble even in a full zone), or that you could turn it in for some points.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Not at all.

Hmmm one would think that with all this lore, Cryptic might get a sense of morals with what they are planning to do to us....
They have never cared overmuch about the lore, they do what CBS allows them to get away with and they have proven themselves to be utterly unscrupulous as a company both under Atari and under Perfect Worlds.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I like the idea ...alot...its brilliant idea in fact...

But the duplicates worries me, maybe it needs to be turned into you passing the questions on the previous data chip will give you the next one? Instead of getting loads of duplicates and trading them like pokemon cards.

I like the idea! its brilliant to have way to collect lore up to the point of the game start. (Abiet weird your not collecting lore on your journey, but maybe this could be expanded so you have current events in a nice chapter form to.)
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
The other daily Lore mission tests you on your knowledge. Answer correctly, and you'll earn a reward which includes a small amount of Dilithium Ore. Also, for the Accolade hunters, there are almost 200 new Accolades related to Lore missions!
Hello Kestral if your reading this, or perhaps Stormshade if you are too. I admire the work done on the lore missions and accolades etc but I offer some suggestions to improve the experience overall.

1. Replace the Terminal: As I understand it you work with story and not so much on the actual game models etc, but I feel there could be another iteration on the terminal quest to improve the experience for users. I would suggest making a classroom with tables and chairs in rows with some conversing cadets and a lecturer by a large screen or a secluded area with a camp fire feel, warriors talking of great battles and a learned old wise warrior by a fire.You would speak with the lecturer to get the question of the day instead of a terminal.

You could also move this to the existing SFA office space at SFA and just have a Lecturer in there to speak with or use one of the First City empty offices by the Great Hall as a room with a learned old warrior in there.

I think it would really improve the experience for people to see the academy like a learning institution, with real people rather than a terminal which creates the feeling of an 'online degree'. This helps it along somewhat and could be achieved without any major time in creating new assets. Effectively its turning the quest handler from an object to a contact and changing the location and adding some existing assets. 1 hours work.

2. Encourage Study: Now it is implied that one should consult their existing datachip accolades for help on the question's topic and/or speak with fleet mates and others about the question - but could this be improved upon by adding flavor NPC contacts?

Imagine as part of your study you decide to go speak with Captain X who used to command a starship at the time of the question in that region. He happens to be at SFA that day, and you find him by the view of the Golden Gate and ask him about his experiences or thought on the question subject.

He wouldn't have to directly tell you the answer but could provide some context - as the questions I have done so far provide no context at all. In many cases, asking fleet mates for help results in the direct answer anyway - so to enhance the lore experience, flavor NPCs like this could be added to help bring the player closer to understanding what was going on at the time and even sway them towards one answer over the other... say the good Captain thinks X went to the Romulan senate to talk about Y at the time, but refers you on to an Ensign W whose Grandfather is Romulan and who could probably help me more - although there may be a technical hurdle in generating these contacts for each day's question.

3. Library Computer On both factions this should really be a person. The datachip is given to you. Think about it. SFA is a learning institution not just a library. I have a feeling the First City lore will be moved to Klingon Academy when it is released, so will say the same for that. Interacting with terminals is something we do for so many missions in the game already. For such a topic it makes sense for us to consult people I think.

Thanks for making these.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
These Accolades have the entire text of the Path (and a few new additions!), so you'll eventually be able to have a record of the 40 years between Star Trek: Nemesis and 2409 in your Journal.

Not to step on any toes here but am I the only one who noticed they got the math wrong? Nemesis was 2380 so 29 years of lore
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-09-2011, 08:17 AM
^ 2379 actually, but, yeah, 30 is a bit different than 40.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Ya nemesis happened in 2379. But still this is cool. Is it a video diray or written? Honestly what is the point of having this if you wanted to look at the timeline just go to sto main website and click on timeline. It has the full log entry.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-10-2011, 05:31 AM
So what about the lore that plays out in the Pocket Books Star Trek books post Nemesis?

At present the TNG, DS9 and VOY books are working at 2383 and have had several stories which are at odds to STO, particularly...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

...the fact that the Borg are eradicated from the universe (not galaxy, the entire universe) by their creators and can never come back. The only liberated Borg left is 7 of 9 (who no longer has the implants) and the rest were absorbed into the Caeliar.

The presence of Borg and liberated Borg playable characters in STO is completely at odds with canon.

The Cardassian stories and True way presence are also ignoring DS9 Pocket Book stories.

There are also some minor issues with the Klingon lore and Romulan story lines. The Undine presence whilst plausible does contradict some Voyager relaunch advances in identifying the imposters too.

Risa (and dozens of other planets in which 60 billion Federation citizens were killed) was destroyed by the Borg in 2382 but still seems to happily sit in STO

*** END SPOILER ***

So is STO in a parellel timeline? Are we in JJverse?

I accept that STO has to cram in a lot of contradictory content to please fans of all 6 series.

Though I have to respectfully suggest that by trying to please everyone from TOS fanbois to Voyager devotees Cryptic overstreched and managed to upset pretty much everyone and diminished the gaming experience.

It is probably asking too much for them to keep in step with the post Nemesis novels as well, especially as the IP for those is owned by Simon & Schuster (though ultimately they have to clear through CBS just like Cryptic).

However, the plotlines to get us to 2409 with the Federation at war with pretty much everyone whilst most of its senior officers are actually alien impersonators are likely to be as ridiculous as the current setting and make the suspension of disbelief required to immerse in a Star Trek MMO that much harder.

I would hope that in future, rather than trying to tie 6 versions of Star Trek TV shows and countless movies together so that people can try to relive their favourite show (which has a limited life span as people bore of it), the content producers look to new enemies, new friends, new technology and brave new worlds which is pretty much what Star Trek is supposed to be about.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightjudge
So what about the lore that plays out in the Pocket Books Star Trek books post Nemesis?

At present the TNG, DS9 and VOY books are working at 2383 and have had several stories which are at odds to STO, particularly...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

...the fact that the Borg are eradicated from the universe (not galaxy, the entire universe) by their creators and can never come back. The only liberated Borg left is 7 of 9 (who no longer has the implants) and the rest were absorbed into the Caeliar.

The presence of Borg and liberated Borg playable characters in STO is completely at odds with canon.

The Cardassian stories and True way presence are also ignoring DS9 Pocket Book stories.

There are also some minor issues with the Klingon lore and Romulan story lines. The Undine presence whilst plausible does contradict some Voyager relaunch advances in identifying the imposters too.

Risa (and dozens of other planets in which 60 billion Federation citizens were killed) was destroyed by the Borg in 2382 but still seems to happily sit in STO

*** END SPOILER ***
Dude, not to burst your bubble, but what happened/happens in the ST books has never been considered canon. Canon is television and movies. Can't say for sure whether any game has been considered addition to canon. It's like this: Books treat series and movies as canon, video games treat same, series and movies behave as if books and games do not exist.

This is one thing which I always thought Gene and his got wrong that George and his got right... authorize everything which caries the IP branding, ensure that everything is accurate to canon, ensure there is a central source for canon. Way too late now though.

R/
w911