Lt. Commander
Interesting question,

Due to instancing, every character of Star Trek: Online is basically playing a single-player campaign built around the fact that he gets a Chris Pine Kirk-esque origin. He's promoted to lieutenant and given command of a garbage scow-esque ship - so it's SLIGHTLY more believable but the same basic principle applies.

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I thought the new tutorial changes that. So your not just foisted into command.

Is that the one your talking about, or the new one on tribble?

I don't mind it. We're all the heroes of our own life stories. Plus... I fly a ship that could lay waste to a planet, I don't find the shuttle thing to be too much, especially since at that time, your fighting along side a galaxy class and the warbird isn't shooting at you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
What's the new version like?

I played til Lieutenant Commander 5 then quit for almost a year.

Then I resumed.

I expect I missed a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
new tutorial is not much different to what it was before.

im fine with the action start. perhaps a little variety would have been nice. perhaps an action tutorial for your kirks and a more low key one for your picards.

janeway's one was lost and will be here in 7 years.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
What's the new version like?

I expect I missed a lot.
It's the old version, but tweaked a little
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I like being a super-captain, personally.

Honestly, my tweaks would mostly be incorporating that, "World of ******** changes" thing they introduced with the Lich King supplement.

For example, after the Klingon campaign is done, you might get people responding that the Klingons were so impressed with blowing up the Doomsday Machine that peace talks have begun. "Rogue Houses" will continue to attack Federation territory, though.

That would give the illusion of progress, also imply that you single handedly won the war.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
Interesting question,

From there, the PC proceeds to single handedly carve his way through the Klingon race (if he's Federation) before moving onto blowing up a Romulan warbird with a shuttle on your first Romulan story mission and then only goes from there.

Basically, by the end of things, your character is the most action packed heroic superhero of superheroes Starfleet has ever produced.

Do you like this origin for your character or would you have preferred something slightly more lower-key for your Captain?
You sir, might want to practice pvp, even at low levels when you can get a pop. I must warn you, that the lower levels don't usually get a lot of pvp participation. Max rank levels that queues still pop fairly often (for fed v fed).

PvP is the only place in game where you are NOT a super captain, and can't blow anything up with ease. It will teach you how to actually use and stack defensive and offensive capabilities, and give you the feeling that you're really fighting opponents (because... well... you are!).

I warn you, when I was new to pvp I got blown up a lot. It's like going from watching a sporting event on TV to actually being one of the players.

You're not all powerful, you're not the center of epicness, and if you don't work with your team you're dead. You'll learn the basics of real actual teamwork and how to support each other with buffs / heals while learning to call targets, focus fire, and what different offensive powers actually do to ships.

Come join us in PvP, we'd love to have more people who desire a greater challenge in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I've had a lot of interesting thoughts about this recently. STO feels very lacking when it comes to how I feel leveling up. I don't really find a lot that keeps me attached to the story or my character. During the slow time I've leveled a character in Champions Online to max, and it still amazes me how different the two games are. As a super hero in Champions I felt like I was in the story, that the actions of my character had an effect on the story. The Nemesis system is totally cool, and would be an interesting idea for Star Trek to say the least. Star Trek had Nemesis type characters in it? (Khan anyone?)

Having said that however I think the Featured Episodes are a good start to getting more involved in the story. The last one did a nice job of getting me more involved in the story than say the standard missions we all grind though. Also the revamped missions seem to work a lot better in working on that goal. I think over time it will be easier to associate with your crew and your captain as the missions get remastered, and more Featured Series start rolling out the door.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Quote:
For example, after the Klingon campaign is done, you might get people responding that the Klingons were so impressed with blowing up the Doomsday Machine that peace talks have begun. "Rogue Houses" will continue to attack Federation territory, though.
But decided not to "peace out" after their own weapon design was turned upon them in skirmish after skirmish for weeks on end.:p

The Player as the center of attention in even MMOs is a long standing tradition.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
I rather like being the star of my own show.