Lt. Commander
# 11
10-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Supported.

Captains command a ship
Admirals command fleets

Everyone in this game is a glorified captain and as such should be named so. IF and when they bring out the ability to command multiple NPC ships or do it as a backstage assignment system then the Admiral ranks would be appropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Captains command a ship
Admirals command fleets
So true.

Supported!
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Since they are already fiddling around so much with the basics of the game, this is long overdue and should be implemented as we asked at release. There are far too many Admirals.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I like being an admiral on my main. On my other characters, I wear captain pips with captain title. So I'm failing to see the point here. I also don't give one damn about the DOFF system. Then again I'm probably quitting so my opinion doesn't really matter anymore anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
I've wanted this to happen since Beta. Unfortunately what we want is irrelevant. The Devs want to be admirals so that is what we are. IP be damned.
There were issues with it when rank ups required spending skillpoints because it could have seriously messed upprogression.

They don't anymore. I think this is the one time we might have a shot at changing the devs' minds on this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Songbird-
I like being an admiral on my main. On my other characters, I wear captain pips with captain title. So I'm failing to see the point here. I also don't give one damn about the DOFF system. Then again I'm probably quitting so my opinion doesn't really matter anymore anyways.
Lke I say, I'd be fine with the Admiral titles and pips unlocking at certain levels as options.

But a lot of people want to be Captain. Some have even avoided spending skillpoints to STAY Captain. Heck, we have an Ensign 51. As it stands on Tribble, those folks will automatically become Vice Admirals against their will.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-10-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm in full agreement. I've hated that Admiral was top rank since the beginning. As has been said, nobody dreams of being a StarFleet Admiral. Not to mention that it sounds so ridiculous in so much of the mission text:

"Thank you for saving us, Rear Admiral Lower Half Smith!"

I'd prefer even to be able to set a title even at Lieutenant or Commander and have NPCs address me at whatever rank I set, but that will never happen, so I'll settle for being re-ranked to Captain. Let promotion to Admiral be an option for those who achieve the proper accolades and want to choose it. I'll stay Captain, thank you very much.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm noticing a lot of changes to rank-ups, including the fact that we now get promoted without spending skillpoints.

I think now is the time to go back to what a lot of us said since Beta:

Rename the max rank from Vice Admiral 1 to Captain 21.

I'm NOT suggesting that Admiral be unobtainable but I think it should be a NON-rank based accolade title, maybe for maxing out the duty officer system.

There are 12 DO categories, right? Make it so that completing any 4 unlocks the Rear Admiral title and pips, completing any 8 unlocks the Vice Admiral title and pips, and completing all 12 unlocks the Fleet Admiral title and pips. The DO system tests your ability as a paper pusher and delegator and makes more sense as the means to progress your Captain sideways into the admiralty rather than as a field commission rank up.

Likewise, other advancements could be done through other progression systems.

On DS9, we saw Starfleet Intelligence had Deputy Directors and Directors with unique pips. This could be the post-Captain PvP progression.

In turn, maybe Fleet Actions, STFs, and Fleet Activity take you down a Fleet Captain -> Commodore path.

And then, maybe crafting could lead you through a special Corps of Engineers progression with pips based on the Marquis pips from Voyager and O'Brien's special badge on DS9, as both the Voyager Marquis and O'Brien were exemplary and unorthodox engineers in large part who could have become synonymous with great engineering.

But your rank in game mechanics terms would be Captain. This other stuff would be stacked on top of that based on what you are in addition to being a Captain, as opposed to a linear rank-up. (Which fits with the shows, where Admiral wasn't really treated so much as a progression so much as it was a Captain who was also a skilled bureaucrat, with a chain of command that almost never treated Admirals as being ABOVE Captains.)
Agree. 100% agree. You're 'revamping' the game, now is the perfect time Cryptic.

1-5 Lt. JG, 6 - 10 Lieutenant. 11-20 Lt. Commander, 21 - Anywhere, as someone else suggested, there are lots of Commanders in Starfleet that have their own ship, for a long time no less, so 21- 40 or 45 even as Commander.

46-51 Captain, with the additional levels as the cap rises keeping us in the rank of Captain for a while. Keep the ship tiers as they are already, or adjust by a few levels, but not many and it fits the IP far more than what we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Sorry, I don't RP, so I don't support this.

What I would be in favour of is an option to choose the rank by which you are referred in your bio section. That way you could choose to be captain if you wished, without forcing the change on everybody who doesn't RP.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm noticing a lot of changes to rank-ups, including the fact that we now get promoted without spending skillpoints.

I think now is the time to go back to what a lot of us said since Beta:

Rename the max rank from Vice Admiral 1 to Captain 21.

I'm NOT suggesting that Admiral be unobtainable but I think it should be a NON-rank based accolade title, maybe for maxing out the duty officer system.

There are 12 DO categories, right? Make it so that completing any 4 unlocks the Rear Admiral title and pips, completing any 8 unlocks the Vice Admiral title and pips, and completing all 12 unlocks the Fleet Admiral title and pips. The DO system tests your ability as a paper pusher and delegator and makes more sense as the means to progress your Captain sideways into the admiralty rather than as a field commission rank up.

Likewise, other advancements could be done through other progression systems.

On DS9, we saw Starfleet Intelligence had Deputy Directors and Directors with unique pips. This could be the post-Captain PvP progression.

In turn, maybe Fleet Actions, STFs, and Fleet Activity take you down a Fleet Captain -> Commodore path.

And then, maybe crafting could lead you through a special Corps of Engineers progression with pips based on the Marquis pips from Voyager and O'Brien's special badge on DS9, as both the Voyager Marquis and O'Brien were exemplary and unorthodox engineers in large part who could have become synonymous with great engineering.

But your rank in game mechanics terms would be Captain. This other stuff would be stacked on top of that based on what you are in addition to being a Captain, as opposed to a linear rank-up. (Which fits with the shows, where Admiral wasn't really treated so much as a progression so much as it was a Captain who was also a skilled bureaucrat, with a chain of command that almost never treated Admirals as being ABOVE Captains.)
Yes, please.