Lt. Commander
# 1 Recurring villains?
10-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Does anyone think we should get some recurring villains in Star Trek: Online?

It occurs to me that there's not much potential for people you love to hate in these games. Ambassador B'vat is as close to one as it gets and he ends up getting killed fairly early in the game. I think I'd like to see a little more personality in our villains and someone who might work against us left and right.

After all, Champions Online had its ultimate evils.

So does WOW.

Why not Star Trek: Online?

The Borg are, simply put, too impersonal and the Undine aren't any better.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-08-2011, 05:07 AM
id like to see this. recurring characters really tie you into the story. id like to see more of obisek, as he had great potential to be the 'grey' character. to what measure will his desperation to save his people take him?

i was disappointed B'vat got killed, and harkeev. he could have been very important going forward.

although who is to say the iconians cant bring people back from the dead or close to death?
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-08-2011, 05:46 AM
there was one but she left the forums a few months ago
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-08-2011, 05:47 AM
STO Nemesis creator.... just like Champions has.

That would be hilariously awesome since it allows each player to literally build their own enemy. Although I would encourage multiple Nemesis at the same time to make it more interesting. Throw in the Champions mission where multiple players can form a raid to go up against their own creations working together.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
STO Nemesis creator.... just like Champions has.

That would be hilariously awesome since it allows each player to literally build their own enemy. Although I would encourage multiple Nemesis at the same time to make it more interesting. Throw in the Champions mission where multiple players can form a raid to go up against their own creations working together.
That's actually a pretty good idea, I would love that. It does fit in with Star Trek because for the most part each captain had their own nemesis. Picard and Q, Sisco and Kai Winn
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Aye, there does need to be more reoccurring villains in game. B'vat is what makes the early levels of the game so interesting. He is a clear, singular antagonist, and his presence, or someone like him is missed throughout the rest of the game. Sure, there are other threats, but never a true antagonist that you can focus on and be frustrated by (aside from Hakeev from the Romulan FE, who, as someone else has already said, dies far too early.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Mirror Universe Counter parts
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Cryptic invasions into peaceful Federation space?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Haakev is also a bit of a cartoon compared to B'vat.

B'vat may be an overthetop villain, comparable to Cobra Commander in his schemes, but they make a twisted amount of sense. The Klingons have just (if you'll pardon the phrase) assimilated three major galactic powers into its ranks. It makes sense the guy wants to keep the energy of the empire flowing so that things maintain a nice steady status quo.

I wouldn't be entirely adverse if somehow B'vat makes a return from the dead via time travel or whatever. It'd be cheesy as hell but as long as the Klingon and Federation civil war is going, it's nice to know that there's someone to BLAME for it.

I also never got quite how much influence B'vat had over the Klingon Empire's war decisions. Most ambassadors don't possess private militaries and Death Star-esque projects.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne19
I also never got quite how much influence B'vat had over the Klingon Empire's war decisions. Most ambassadors don't possess private militaries and Death Star-esque projects.
Klingons have always been highly feudal. Instead of administrative states or member worlds, they have territories controlled by families. Like feudal systems on Earth, their government relies on the local military forces controlled by lesser 'lords'. So while the KDF is an empire-spanning organization, many of its commanders end up using their authority to support their own interests.