Lt. Commander
This is something I have not seen people talk about very much.
Most of the chaos seems to be focused on the cost of ships and equipment and availability of dilithium.
But this is something that is equally important and directly impacts both the aforementioned subjects.

At present on Holodeck we use Merits/Honor to Respec, Buy Bridge Officers, Train Bridge Officers, Rename Bridge Officers and rename Ships.
Out of the lot the two most important uses are Respeccing and training Bridge Officers.
Those two are vital to the game, as your skill point allocation and which skills your Bridge Officers have ultimately determine wether you succeed or fail in the game.

What is also important to understand that Merits/Honor are rewarded by virtually ALL missions.
To respec as a Vice Admiral you may need to grind A LOT, but how you do it is all up to you, wether you replay Episodes or play new ones, do PvP, Exploration or Dailies, its ultimately all up to you.

The new Dilithium system is at its core a consolidation of all the Badges, Medals, Marks and Emblems in the game.
All of these are by nature limited currencies that are rewarded for completing a handful of very very specific tasks.
They are not given out for the normal progression through Episodes and Patrol missions like the Merits/Honor are.
And as such, Merits/Honor is simply one of those currencies that is by nature incompatible with being consolidated into Dilithium.

Now Dilithium as we all know by now is essentially the new "Emblems", it will be the main currency for obtaining high quality equipment as well as new ships.
And this is where the problem starts.
Because what once cost Merits/Honor now costs dilithium, it will now be a drain on the same currency you need for getting a new ship and equipment.

Your freedom of being able to experiment with different Bridge Officer layouts and skills as well as being able to change your playstyle or fondly change the name of your ship and crew is being taken away from you.
Because you will no longer be able to afford to do so, since these things will now draw from the Time-Limited currency that you already "need" to get new ships and equipment, and you will need to work that much harder and longer to obtain it if you do.

Cryptic, I both understand and support the need to scale down on the excessive amount of currencies currently in the game, currencies that quickly become obsolete as you move past them.
But the Merit/Honor currency is not one of them.

The Merit/Honor currency is unique, and fills a critical role in both lore and what is practical.
I mean c'mon, when have you ever seen a starfleet officer being bought with dilithium like some kind of slave? Buying an officer with "Influence" makes a lot more sense here.

So Cryptic, I implore you, DO NOT remove the Merit/Honor system from the game, we need it, now more than ever.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-09-2011, 07:22 AM
I say they keep it as is on tribble. I find it amusing that dilithium can apparently teach officers new abilities. It must be "magic." Why bother having the academy when all you can do is give a cadet some ore and walla, a brand new officer is ready to go!
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Obviously you aren't quite grasping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Cryptic, I both understand and support the need to scale down on the excessive amount of currencies currently in the game, currencies that quickly become obsolete as you move past them. But the Merit/Honor currency is not one of them.
It has nothing to do with simplifying the currencies, no matter what is being said. If it was about that, then they would have never touched it in the first place.

It is about driving people to have so many drains on their resource that they have to augment them by c-store purchases OR grind an excessive amount of time. If they can force people into lengthy grinds, a certain percentage are guaranteed to hit the c-store, which becomes their revenue flow.

Any kind of feedback about things designed to drive c-store sales isn't going to get much traction, sadly to say. PW , in order to get it's money's worth, will want to see hard cash numbers from STO, and so Cryptic is probably doing the best they can to fit that while not totally raping the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
The Merit/Honor currency is unique, and fills a critical role in both lore and what is practical.
I mean c'mon, when have you ever seen a starfleet officer being bought with dilithium like some kind of slave? Buying an officer with "Influence" makes a lot more sense here.
I agree it's not exactly confluent .. but it won't change. They'll back down on almost everything else before this.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor
<snip>

<snip>
Exactly! Bridge Officers are not mere slaves we can just auction off for some measly energy credits... Oh wait.

Lt. Commander
# 5
10-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree with Alex, Merits/Honor is the "currency" needed to give yourself skill (via respec) and your BOFFs abilities and it makes sense that they stay in game. Mertis by definition is "The quality of being particularly good or worthy, esp. so as to deserve praise or reward" ie Merit being the worth of completing a mission and as it is on Holodeck that Merit is worth everything you do in game. We aren't getting enough Dilithium per Mission Completed in order to do everything that is available in game.

So I believe that Merit/Honor should be the personal currency (non tradeable only useable on yourself and bridge officers) and Dilithium should be the trade/goods currency, by this I mean, If you want to buy anything tangable in game (ships, weapons, etc) you use Dilithium. Just from a gameplay point of view it doesn't make much since to hand someone Dilithium Ore and say "ZOMG I just learned how to do BO3. Never mind all the years at the academy testing/training for it I just learned it right now by touching this peice of rock"
Lt. Commander
# 6 Agreed.
10-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Flexibility is important. If it becomes to costly or cumbersome to swap out bridge officer skills (in addition to the relatively hefty price on respecs) then a fair amount of variety will be lost.

Farting around with different set ups and experimenting is part of the fun.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Every time I see a burning Cryptic building avatar with a red line though it, and imagine how witty those users must feel... I think of Biff jr

That isn't Biff Jr. that's Biff's younger self in 1955. Griff (Back to the Future 2) is his grandson.

your credability points are sinking
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
That isn't Biff Jr. that's Biff's younger self in 1955. Griff (Back to the Future 2) is his grandson.

your credability points are sinking
Noted and fixed. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
Noted and fixed. Thanks!
No problem one of my all time favorite triliogies

Back on topic

I'm not saying Dilithium is bad. I love the idea of trading CPoints for Dilithium and vise versa and I really feel it will help STO actually feel like there is an active economy that doesn't center around the Exchange w/ next to useless Energy Credits (which if ships no longer cost Energy Credits and their only use/purpose is for the Exchange why do we have them?)

However, since Dilithium is limited to a daily amount players are going to be forced to "do I get my next ship, do I train/promote my bridge officers, etc" ? And I don't like this. Which ever one someone decides will effect the other. If you buy the ship, you won't have enough left over to promote your bridge officers so I'll still end up only being able to use my T1 BOFF Abilities. What was the point of getting the ship?
The opposite is also true, I trained/promoted my BOFFs but now I dont have enough for the new ship, I'm stuck using my T1. What was the point of training/promoting?

Mertis/Honor very nicely fixes this catch 22. (just as it is on Holodeck)
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
No problem one of my all time favorite triliogies

Back on topic

I'm not saying Dilithium is bad. I love the idea of trading CPoints for Dilithium and vise versa and I really feel it will help STO actually feel like there is an active economy that doesn't center around the Exchange w/ next to useless Energy Credits (which if ships no longer cost Energy Credits and their only use/purpose is for the Exchange why do we have them?)
Active Economy ? - If Dilithium is in short supply to the point people cant equip themselves then the 'ECONOMY' is going to grind to a horrific stop and what little Dilithium goes on the market will be getting charged inflated C-Point costs.

That 8K Refined Dilithium has to pay for Ships, Equipment, Officers, Training, Respecs and whatever else Cryptic throw ontop of it with limited means of getting Dilithium to start with that ensures Dilithium is going to be scarce.

Your going to be happy paying $25 worth of C-points for 8K Dilithium that wont even buy you a single piece of equipment ?

As for EC: That would logically be used for costume changes, ship reconfigurations and replicated gear. Tying the costume customisations and replicated gear into Dilithium would completely obliterate the need for EC and further drain folks consumption of Dilithium.

Want a new paint job, fleet logo or to put that shiny C-Store uniform on your toon - Sorry, cant do that cause doing so would drain your Refined Dilithium away from the gear you need to run missions effectively.