Lt. Commander
# 1 Meet the Team: Shaun Brodie
07-31-2009, 03:29 PM
What do you do on Star Trek Online?

Im an online community rep for STO, which means I spend an awful lot of time hanging out with the STO fan base. I spend most of my day reading our official forums, and passing the feedback I gather on to the rest of the team. I also act as the forum manager, and take care of escalations from our moderation team, as well as helping out with stuff like taking screen shots, and all that other fun behind the scenes stuff.

Right now, I just finished setting up private fleet forums for a few guilds. Its something new were trying out here on the STO forums, and Im really excited by it. If everything works out with it, Im hoping to expand on this idea quite a bit!

How long have you worked in gaming, and what did you do before Star Trek Online?

This is actually my first job in gaming. I worked as a GM on Champions Online for a few months before moving to the OCR team. Before that I was working as technical support for a payphone services company, where I worked with the California Department of Corrections to make sure inmates could call home for Christmas.

Who is your favorite Star Trek character and why?

Without a doubt, Q. I really enjoyed the wit and sarcasm brought to the role by John de Lancie. To me, it also spoke volumes that such a powerful being could act so childish, so consistently, while still proclaiming to be so intellectually advanced. This, of course, made me consider my own actions in an entirely new way.

What is an interesting fact about you that players would be surprised to know?

Last year at nVision, I was one of the 203 gamers who established the Guinness World Record for the worlds longest LAN party. I stayed up for 36+ hours with a bunch of other gamers to play video games.

My wife still mocks me for this.

If you could choose to be an alien on Star Trek, which species would you want to be?

I would probably be a Changeling like Odo and The Founders. You know, sleep in a bucket, play pranks on tons of people with my shape shifting powers Near limitless options for getting myself into trouble, how could you go wrong?

Which is cooler: monkeys, robots, pirates or ninjas?

Pirates, since I was little boy, nothing has been cooler than pirates.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to break into the gaming industry?

Network, network, network. Im here today because I knew a couple of people in the industry who were very supportive of my desire to get into the gaming business. Having that kind of help to get a job anywhere is incredibly valuable. Work your contacts, find out what you need to do to break in, and then go for it. If you dont know anyone in the industry, think of things you can do to meet them. If youre looking at writing, start a blog and keep updating it regularly. If you want to code, work on your own projects. Then, once you have some stuff to show off, head to the conventions and meet some people, and dont be afraid to show off your stuff!

What was your first favorite video game?

Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders, and old Lucas Arts adventure game. The game was insanely funny, made absolutely no sense and is probably the best adventure game they ever put out. Now if only I could get someone at Lucas to re-release it
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Shaun
Lt. Commander
# 3 Hello
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
You guys rock.
I cant wait to join. My subscription is standing by!
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
What is an interesting fact about you that players would be surprised to know?

Last year at nVision, I was one of the 203 gamers who established the Guinness World Record for the worlds longest LAN party. I stayed up for 36+ hours with a bunch of other gamers to play video games.

My wife still mocks me for this.
This reminds me of when me and a friend stayed up around 30 hours playing Age of Empires against the computer. We never finished it, but it was extremely fun.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Tally hoo

Yarrrghh!! get yee pirate ship rdy mateee!
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-31-2009, 04:19 PM
If we see somebody in the USS Jack Sparrow. We know who it is. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebort5050 View Post
If we see somebody in the USS Jack Sparrow. We know who it is. :p
if you see someone singing this its most likely me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsJyfN0ICU
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeba View Post
if you see someone singing this its most likely me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsJyfN0ICU
And I shall be singing This
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
It's nice to get to know a little more about you, Shaun! It's great to meet someone so involved in the community. Plus, you gave some great advice for getting into the industry so that's even better. Hope to see you around the forums!
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
It's nice to get to know a little more about you, Shaun! It's great to meet someone so involved in the community. Plus, you gave some great advice for getting into the industry so that's even better. Hope to see you around the forums!
Networking is brilliant advice and by chance one of my fave things to do. I will go anywhere for a free buffet lunch. It's how I got most of my qualifications for free!