Lt. Commander
I've been reading about the whole dillithium thing for a while now, but it never really hit home until I read this post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus
In a nutshell, they are introducing a new economic system that limits how much currency you can get per day, with the intention of prolonging the amount of time it takes you to get new ships and gear. The reason is because they are going to allow people to trade C-points for dillithium, and they want people to spend real money to buy C-points and then trade for the amounts of dillithium they need to get the gear they want. Basically selling in game currency in the C-store.
And that last sentence just sums it up perfectly. This whole dillithium thing is just so they can essentially sell in game currency using the C-store. I know F2P games are about making money and usually sell items people want in the game store, but actual in game currency? Are any other F2P games doing this? Is this really what STO has degenerated into?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm glad my explanation helped you, but I'm just sorry that this situation exists to be explained at all.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes that quote struck me too. It's a bit hard to follow all of the details and the nerdrages. Is that quote an accurate summary?
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Yes that quote struck me too. It's a bit hard to follow all of the details and the nerdrages. Is that quote an accurate summary?
As always, the Nagus explains his analyses most eloquently.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbaby9000 View Post
Is this really what STO has degenerated into?
No, it went there nearly instantly, there wasn't any degeneration, just an express elevator to hell.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Gentlemen I hate to say it but I'm afraid that in the future we may look at on this as the tipping point of the STO boat sinking. From removing ships from the game, to raising C-Store prices, the pay for currency, lack of Klingon content, lack of PvP content, virtually no reason to be a Gold member and so much more how long until the game goes under? I love STO I want it to stick around but this is.. not going to be good.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
Gentlemen I hate to say it but I'm afraid that in the future we may look at on this as the tipping point of the STO boat sinking. From removing ships from the game, to raising C-Store prices, the pay for currency, lack of Klingon content, lack of PvP content, virtually no reason to be a Gold member and so much more how long until the game goes under? I love STO I want it to stick around but this is.. not going to be good.
Oh people will pay for content. Plenty of MMOs show that. The game is a lot better than it used to be.

So long as they make it so the old ships don't SUCK while you're refining dilithium and it's still FUN to play in them, they should do fine.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekbaby9000 View Post
I've been reading about the whole dillithium thing for a while now, but it never really hit home until I read this post from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus
In a nutshell, they are introducing a new economic system that limits how much currency you can get per day, with the intention of prolonging the amount of time it takes you to get new ships and gear. The reason is because they are going to allow people to trade C-points for dillithium, and they want people to spend real money to buy C-points and then trade for the amounts of dillithium they need to get the gear they want. Basically selling in game currency in the C-store.
And that last sentence just sums it up perfectly. This whole dillithium thing is just so they can essentially sell in game currency using the C-store. I know F2P games are about making money and usually sell items people want in the game store, but actual in game currency? Are any other F2P games doing this? Is this really what STO has degenerated into?
FYI - the only other MMO that has something similar is EVE Online. There's an in game EVE currency called Plex that can be traded for in game items, and items from EVE's new microtransaction store (added in june 2011). CCP even allows game time to be paid in PLEX.

But, like STO; someone first needs to pay real world money for PLEX to trade it in EVE. So, no, STO isn't the first MMO to do something like this as EVE added PLEX back in 2008. Also, EVE is still a subscription based game, it hasn't gone F2P - although again, through the EVE economy, a lot of players do use PLEX acquired via in game trading to pay fpr their subscription time.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-09-2011, 08:31 PM
They've captured the gold farming market. At least this way the real life $$$ go to the company that actually runs and (in theory) maintains and improves the game. The alternative is it goes to sweatshop operators in China. Players are going to buy game currency either way; between the available ways that can happen, this is probably the least worst.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
FYI - the only other MMO that has something similar is EVE Online. There's an in game EVE currency called Plex that can be traded for in game items, and items from EVE's new microtransaction store (added in june 2011). CCP even allows game time to be paid in PLEX.

But, like STO; someone first needs to pay real world money for PLEX to trade it in EVE. So, no, STO isn't the first MMO to do something like this as EVE added PLEX back in 2008. Also, EVE is still a subscription based game, it hasn't gone F2P - although again, through the EVE economy, a lot of players do use PLEX acquired via in game trading to pay fpr their subscription time.
This not correct unless something has changed very recently.

PLEX is game time and can be traded for in-game cash (ISK, the equivalent of Energy Credits) or Aurum (the equivalent of C-Points).

The game store items are sold for Aurum, and so far every developer response has been that the store items will all be cosmetic. No items which have an in-game effect of any kind, including the sale of balanced items allowing players to by-pass the in-game economy. The massive rage everyone saw from EvE was that over the idea that CCP only said that they had no plans at this time to sell anything beyond vanity items, and not that they never would.

You also cannot directly trade Aurum for PLEX. You must buy "clothes" with it and sell the clothes for ISK.

STO already sells game-effecting items, and unbalanced ones (or in EvE terms, "Gold Ammo") in the Store, and allows you to by-pass the in-game economy by doing so. So this system really isn't anything like EvE's.