Lt. Commander
Morning all *waves* i know there are alot of people out there who dont like some of the changes coming i for one dont like the dilithium model atm and hope it improves slightly but i like the idea of it.
Now back on topic, the big win for me is the episodes and the way there planned out, i started playing STO 4 or so months ago now and when i started out i ended up doing a mix of missions etc which could get confusing.
But now the way its done is clear, tidy and concise i've barely finished the romulan episodes and im borderline admiral, where as my holo character was only a commander doing the romulan missions so the leveling seems easier if thats the right word, for me now it doesnt feel like it could take forever which is great.
The DOFF system havent really played round with it that much but it provides a fun distraction to do whilst travelling between systems etc.
Some of the new STF gear at ESD looks amazing and i cant wait to get my hands on some of the gear mainly the antiproton carbine etc and its nice to see VA gear and once this goes live on holo ima be doing my hardest to get it all.
All though i doubt its changed for me the graphics seem better somehow, i'm still running it max nice and smoothly it just seems...better but that might be me.
I'm by no means a fanboy etc but i like where this could be heading, i will be keeping my subscription as well and i hope this could be the start of something new and shiny for STO, now we just need more missions and ships and i will be a truly happy camper. And for those that disagree i say this to you...pfft...lolz joking
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-10-2011, 05:34 AM
I should warn you tribble xp has been sped up, however i find it highly unlikely they will keep it like that. in my opinion its far too quick. getting to end rank and still having stuff to do is fine, but yo dont get to really enjoy any of the lower level ships.

now some of the early levels could be sped up because they usually involve you flying a boring miranda, but later levels should probably slow down so you spend more time at tier 3 and 4 where there are some nice ships.

the end gear is great, the new task forces are really fun, and i too quite like the dilithium change, although its still has a long way to go before its set up right.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-10-2011, 05:38 AM
I didnt mind the miranda too much for me it was the vesper class i dont like for some reason and speedy levelling is fine for me but not everyone agrees which is fine i'm a slightly impatient old git and just want my excelsior refit again and get cracking on with those STF's
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-10-2011, 06:34 AM
i have to ask now,

do you like being forced to do every mission to unlock the next one?
OR do you like the new UI, and that you now can properly see in what order they *should* be played.

would you like it LESS if the new UI would let you play the next 3 or 5 or 8 Missions as it was before? just with the new UI and new level appropriate npc mobs?

I like that i can now see the correct order, but i don't like that i am forced to play every single one of them, especially on my 7th toon where i just rush through all the old boring missions to get up to VA1 again,
i want to cherry pick the ones i liked before or have GEAR that i deem worthy to be placed on my ship / chars.

Or better yet use some complete alternative way to level up and unlock stuff.
For example, a pure Foundry Char, or a pure Red Alert + DOff char... + cherry picking gear from some of the better missions.

being able to do whatever the F*** i want -> good.
being forced to play every single mission to unlock the Gamma Orionis Gate (only to get to B'Tran?) -> LAME

If you want me to care about the Story again, then finally put in Voice Overs and Cutscenes, otherwise i'd rather want a popup blocker for my annoying BOffs ;P
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I do like that there a clear order of progression now with the new interface, I can see the value of that for a new player

But what I don't like is the idea of forcing me to do all those mission in that exact order. case in point at lvl 45
you unlock STF but if you have not done ALL the missions to unlock the Borg Front you can't get credit for doing the STF, also the Breen Front is now after the Borg Front so you can no longer use the Breen Set at lower lvls also there some pretty good armor in those mission which also helps at lower lvls
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STO_Mac
I do like that there a clear order of progression now with the new interface, I can see the value of that for a new player

But what I don't like is the idea of forcing me to do all those mission in that exact order. case in point at lvl 45
you unlock STF but if you have not done ALL the missions to unlock the Borg Front you can't get credit for doing the STF, also the Breen Front is now after the Borg Front so you can no longer use the Breen Set at lower lvls also there some pretty good armor in those mission which also helps at lower lvls
My Tribble character is Captain 8 and I've only done the first mission of the Romulan front. I wish you could at least unlock the next front at certain level instead of having to do them ALL in order.

No more leveling up through exploration in live either.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Forced to participate in content = bad

Forced to level a certain way = bad

Forced to suffer through bad content = worse

Whatever happened to leveling how we want to when we want to? Hell I only make alts so I can play a different way in STF's or PvP
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-10-2011, 09:38 AM
also... what did happen to the "Alt your BOff" / "First Officer" system that was talked about to let someone at endgame start a new char with lvl 40 and maybe one of your old*er* ships?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
also... what did happen to the "Alt your BOff" / "First Officer" system that was talked about to let someone at endgame start a new char with lvl 40 and maybe one of your old*er* ships?
It's coming to a C-Store near you.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
i have to ask now,

do you like being forced to do every mission to unlock the next one?
OR do you like the new UI, and that you now can properly see in what order they *should* be played.

would you like it LESS if the new UI would let you play the next 3 or 5 or 8 Missions as it was before? just with the new UI and new level appropriate npc mobs?

I like that i can now see the correct order, but i don't like that i am forced to play every single one of them, especially on my 7th toon where i just rush through all the old boring missions to get up to VA1 again,
i want to cherry pick the ones i liked before or have GEAR that i deem worthy to be placed on my ship / chars.

Or better yet use some complete alternative way to level up and unlock stuff.
For example, a pure Foundry Char, or a pure Red Alert + DOff char... + cherry picking gear from some of the better missions.

being able to do whatever the F*** i want -> good.
being forced to play every single mission to unlock the Gamma Orionis Gate (only to get to B'Tran?) -> LAME

If you want me to care about the Story again, then finally put in Voice Overs and Cutscenes, otherwise i'd rather want a popup blocker for my annoying BOffs ;P
Ugggh. The missions are MEANT to be played in a certain order and I am glad that they've changed to the ordered approach. If you want to play missions out of order go back later and replay them from your ready room. The new UI is fine but still needs some tweaking. Heaven forbid that you should play the game as it was made to be played.

Gamma Orionis should remain locked till RA since most players of lower levels would be decimated then end up here complaining that it is too hard for them. No keep the lower level players in level appropriate areas as they have no business fighting what should be higher level enemies.

I care plenty about the storyline which is why I support the story order changes. Voice overs, cutscenes, and other gimmicks would be fine so long as they add to the enjoyment of the mission, otherwise I could care less about them....