Lt. Commander
# 41
11-25-2011, 06:56 AM
It's probably torpedo lag, sometimes the fire actually starts a couple of seconds before actually getting hit by the torpedo. The game seams to be weird like that.
To add even more to the confusion their ground disruptors leave a AoE as well. -_-
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-27-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm working on a revamp to the first investigation to fix the issue with the Romulans being said not to use disruptors. It's mostly done but I want to make sure it's not too confusing before publishing it (I figure after 600 plays it's not exactly an emergency at this point).

Also, just for fun here's a couple of screen shots of Atlas Affair, the sequel to Dereliction Duty:

This first one is a shot of the lounge on the U.S.S. Hyperion, with some of the crew members drinking at the bar. You can see my Foundry test character standing by the table in the distance, looking out at the Shuttlecraft Shran (By the way, don't use a Ferengi as a test character. It makes it hard to judge the height of consoles or anything else, because they are so ridiculously short). Over on the right side you can see Captain Tharn of the Hyperion meeting with Janet Ryan from the Odysseus (injured, holding her arm) and the other task force captains are just off screen. http://www.nagorak.com/hyperion.jpg

This second one is an example of the U.S.S. Atlas Bridge, which has turned out to be an absolutely hellish level to make. It seemed like a simple enough concept, but in practice it has turned out to be extremely ambitious (overly so). So far there are 33 map dialogues, and there at least 2 more that need to be added. Most of those dialogues are completely optional, as part of a puzzle, and I expect that most players won't even see most of them (although they can all be activated if they want). Of course, I also hit the contact limit and the enemy limit (most enemies are actually "filler" contacts, not actually ones you fight). I hate to think how many hours I've put into just this level, and it's a totally enclosed bridge. http://www.nagorak.com/atlasbridge.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 43
12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Nagorak,

I played this mission over the last couple of days and really loved it!

The Foundry has consistently impressed me as a place for real "Star Trek"-style missions more 'authentic'-feeling than the actual dev-built content, and this mission is no exception.

I got a kick out of how the inquest about your behaviors as a Captain was more or less about the game STO itself

Really fun mission, I loved in particular getting to overhear the discussions with the Vulcan about what triage means in a battle situation.

I also liked that there was so much 'color', the conversations like that which didn't seem to directly bear on the plot but just made the whole environment feel more real and fun to be in.

Great work on the mission.

It's been a couple of months since you posted it, any updates on the sequel? I'm dying to find out what happens!

Odeko
Lt. Commander
# 44
12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Odeko, I'm glad you enjoyed the mission. I've noticed from the reviews/feedback that people all seem to name different things they liked the most about the mission. I guess it's a good thing that there's something for everyone.

Anyway, I'm hard at work on the sequel. The trouble is that with the branching dialogues and all the background/fluff conversations, it takes me a long time to get the mission done. I can't even estimate how much more text has to be in the mission compared to your average STO or Foundry mission.

If I had it to do over again and I knew in advance how well received my mission would be, I would have held off on publishing it until I had the other one done or closer to being done. The thing was, at the time, the mission was so long, I wasn't sure whether people would like it, or if everyone would just hate it. The honest truth is I didn't want to put all the effort into the sequel if, say 20 people, played Dereliction Duty.

I feel bad for leaving people waiting for so long, but I'm afraid I can only work so fast. I also didn't realize it would take me quite so long to finish the sequel. On Atlas Affair, one of the maps has turned out to be a bit overly ambitious. The funny thing is it's a bridge, so it only has a small physical area, yet in terms of dialogue it is massive (it's in the screen shot above).

The other issue is I keep struggling with Foundry bugs. It looks like the most recent patch put in another bug where it won't let me set dialogue prompts to show or hide via component complete (it actually works fine, but gives a false error message so I can't publish). So, I have to constantly find work arounds to these stupid bugs.

I'm getting closer to finishing and hope to have the mission done within the next couple of weeks. At the very least the first half of it will be finished by then. For ease of play, I think I'm going to split the mission up into two halves so people don't have to do the whole thing in one sitting if they don't have the time (it also gives me more costumes, which I'm chronically running short on), but I don't know if I should publish the first half of the mission before the whole thing is completed.
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
There's so much content in that mission, I can understand that it must take forever to do the next one!

I think your instinct is correct to split it up into multiple pieces. That both makes it more manageable for you the creator and for us the players!

One thing I'm curious about--in one Foundry mission are you able to know anything about choices the character made or results of events in a previous mission?

For example, in my playthrough, after the briefing at the beginning, the Admiral said I'd passed but she wasn't wholly convinced.

Is it possible to reference that in the sequel? Can you know "The player passed the test with flying colors" or "The player failed the test" or whatever?

Odeko
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately, there's no real way to track how a player did in a previous mission (or even a previous map on the same mission). There's a sort of work around, where you can give someone a code to enter (this is why some of the NPCs you encounter give you comm codes) and then depending on what code (or if they have the code) things will be a little different. This is basically going back to the old NES days where some games didn't allow you to actually save, and instead gave you a code to enter.

For example, if you've gotten Gul Modran's Comm Code (which most people probably did, unless they insulted him), then you can enter it in Atlas Affair and he'll be there, while if you never played Dereliction Duty or didn't get his Comm Code then he won't be around.

But there's only so far you can take this, because you can't have the player entering five million codes, and you also need a plausible reason to give a code unless you want it to be totally obvious that it's a game device. Unfortunately, there's no real way to follow-up on the Admiral Gonzales conversation, but in the context of the events of the next mission it shouldn't hurt too much.

I wish there was some way to track player choices across multiple missions, or even the same mission, but I don't know if that will ever be in the cards for the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 47
12-07-2011, 12:52 AM
I suppose one thing you could do is set up different dialogue options that the player could choose to select how well you did. It's not as 'secure' as the code option but if done well (like how you did with the C3SS in the briefing room) could be just as good and in-line with the story.

I can't wait for the sequel Nagorak.
Lt. Commander
# 48
12-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I pulled my mission down to try to fix a bug that had been resulting in some bad reviews (frustrating since I was trying to work on my other mission). Now, however, it can't be republished until the recently added dialogue prompt bug is fixed, so Dereliction Duty will probably be down for the next week or two. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I am truly sorry that your mission has been affected by the new dialogue bugs. I hope that they are repaired soon. (Sends a "Get Well Soon" card)
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I pulled my mission down to try to fix a bug that had been resulting in some bad reviews (frustrating since I was trying to work on my other mission). Now, however, it can't be republished until the recently added dialogue prompt bug is fixed, so Dereliction Duty will probably be down for the next week or two. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Aw! D: I wondered why I couldn't find it when I went back for a replay.

Take your time fixing it though, we all understand. Better that it not be re-released until the quality is at the impressive level you had before.