Lt. Commander
# 21
10-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
Or any game. Since those are just static images and not rendered environments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Is it even possible to make the corridors look THAT good in this game??
Just look at the last Stoked at Cryptic episode...
There is the answer.... and if you ask me, the answer is "yes its possible"
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Is it even possible to make the corridors look THAT good in this game??
It is entirely possible to create schematically exact sized interiors according to the original stage plans or any other architecture plans. After all this is just a virtual environment. But accurate sized environments can be, no, is detrimental to the game play experience. It's a pain in the assets when moving around in a confined area. Your camera is always clipping against the walls. At times I can be looking at or through the back of my character's head. And it's 10x worse if you have to right in an enclosed environment. And itt's just as bad on the game AI, unless the map and encounter is setup with exquisite care, the game AI can be confused to the point of uselessness. A good example wdould be some maps on two Foundry missions, Rise of Darkness Pt 1 and Pt 2. The author has magnificent maps using the Foundry editor and assets, but on some maps your BOs are rendered useless as they can't navigate around the maps, they get into loop moving back and forth between locations trying to move. I you aren't careful in micromanaging your BO, you care fixing foes w/o help.

Cryptic learned some hard lessons from some of their early mission maps from City of Heroes. There are a lot of cave maps which are very true to scale in tunnel sizes. COH Vets will know what I mean. FIghting in those crammped tunnels with a team of 8 players and possiblely 30+ critters is total anarchy and frustraing. It's basically mash buttons and tab targeting. Cryptic later underground maps in COH features caves which would look very familiiar to player in CO and STO.

The bottom line is if Cryptic makes the interior true to scale, you'll never ever be able to use them for any sort of game play. They will only be a social zone at best. We can asking for smaller interiors, but there come a point where we, the players, have to accept a certain amount of oversizeness
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Cryptic learned some hard lessons from some of their early mission maps from City of Heroes. There are a lot of cave maps which are very true to scale in tunnel sizes. COH Vets will know what I mean. FIghting in those crammped tunnels with a team of 8 players and possiblely 30+ critters is total anarchy and frustraing. It's basically mash buttons and tab targeting. Cryptic later underground maps in COH features caves which would look very familiiar to player in CO and STO.
OH GODS....

The caves...

*finds his happy place*

Please no more caves....

*whimpers*
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd be happy if Cryptic would just polish the bridges and interiors to the same level of quality, detail and scale as the TOS bridge / interior.

Wonder why they won't do that?
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Carmichael View Post
I'd be happy if Cryptic would just polish the bridges and interiors to the same level of quality, detail and scale as the TOS bridge / interior.

Wonder why they won't do that?
I don't disagree with you this. The existing bridges could use a revamp for a smaller scale. I love the feel of the emense feel of DVS and Star Cruiser bridges. They make you feel you are are in very large ships, but they could do with some more intimacy.