Lt. Commander
# 1 A joke right...
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Seriously.. a second currency.

Isn't it bad enough that you had to have one currency to make the game work?

This is Star Trek, and in the federation there is NOT supposed to be any form of money or currency, everyone has what they want etc etc...

But now you want to bring in some numpty second currency that is basically a daily grinder.

Roddenberry is probably turning in his grave right now.. federation star ship captains mining and refining ore.. and get a discount for a new ship.

Seriously this is a joke right, because a joke is the only way I can look at this whole thing.. because it certainly isn't very star trek no matter what logo you put on the game.

Regretful lifer.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-10-2011, 06:38 PM
So one currency is bad, but it was OK when we had 10 or so to use?
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Currency is bad enough but turning federation star ship captains into miners, that's my point.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
So one currency is bad, but it was OK when we had 10 or so to use?
I understand we have to have a currency - I get that. Have you done the math thou? If you do every daily avaialable for ore, it'll still take almost 18 days of max grinding to afford one MK XI item.

They really need to rethink this economy before they get too much further in testing, otherwise no one will be doing anything except DOFF missions.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
The Federation didn't have money, yet barely an episode went by when the effects of poverty and wealth in the Federation wasn't a topic - especially in TNG, where the poverty on colonies like Yar's home or the wealth of the Betazed elite were repeated to the point of cliche. The federation participated in equitable trade, had private enterprise, and we see several examples (notably the Sisko restaurant) where the success or failure of a business directly impacted the quality of life of its owner. Starfleet officers could afford to patronize private establishments in every series except Voyager, in some cases quite frequently, and Starfleet charged Quark rent. Which he didn't pay, and nobody was particularly concerned until his staff went on strike, but he was still charged rent.

They don't want to call it money, but whenever you measure trade that way, guess what you're using?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
The Federation didn't have money, yet barely an episode went by when the effects of poverty and wealth in the Federation wasn't a topic - especially in TNG, where the poverty on colonies like Yar's home or the wealth of the Betazed elite were repeated to the point of cliche. The federation participated in equitable trade, had private enterprise, and we see several examples (notably the Sisko restaurant) where the success or failure of a business directly impacted the quality of life of its owner. Starfleet officers could afford to patronize private establishments in every series except Voyager, in some cases quite frequently, and Starfleet charged Quark rent. Which he didn't pay, and nobody was particularly concerned until his staff went on strike, but he was still charged rent.

They don't want to call it money, but whenever you measure trade that way, guess what you're using?
And you still have to have money in a video game, anyway. There has to be a check on people buying gear.

This isn't a life-simulator of being Johnny Federation Citizen - its a video game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
I understand we have to have a currency - I get that. Have you done the math thou? If you do every daily avaialable for ore, it'll still take almost 18 days of max grinding to afford one MK XI item.

They really need to rethink this economy before they get too much further in testing, otherwise no one will be doing anything except DOFF missions.
I haven't actually, I've been levelling a new character on Holodeck so haven't had time for Tribble. But his question seemed to be more about having a currency at all rather than the amount needed for purchasing items.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-10-2011, 06:55 PM
All 5 shows featured people earning and spending credits too, in spite of claiming there was no money periodically.

I took that to mean that there was no starvation or homelessness within the Federation. That didn't mean no currency in the sense we'd look at it. They had money but it wasn't used for necessities.

As for Yar, didn't she come from one of the many worlds in Federation space not aligned with the Federation?

But credits used to buy things was a fixture of all incarnations of Star Trek.

Beyond that, I don't think dilithium (or its predecessors in merits/emblems) is properly a currency. It's a natural resource which officers in the actual shows were charged with securing sources of.

You aren't buying a ship with dilithium. You're bringing a natural resource to command which enables them to commission you a ship because of dilithium scarcity. (Yes, I realize it regenerates but the Cryptic devs' stance is that Starfleet is burning their reserves faster than it can be regenerated and needs more to keep up the flow of production on ships and stations.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
(Yes, I realize it regenerates but the Cryptic devs' stance is that Starfleet is burning their reserves faster than it can be regenerated and needs more to keep up the flow of production on ships and stations.)
No, Cryptic's stance is open your wallet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
You aren't buying a ship with dilithium. You're bringing a natural resource to command which enables them to commission you a ship because of dilithium scarcity. (Yes, I realize it regenerates but the Cryptic devs' stance is that Starfleet is burning their reserves faster than it can be regenerated and needs more to keep up the flow of production on ships and stations.)
great story for the RP'ers but for those of us who just play the game, its a dumb economic model that is (apparently) designed to make the game so unenjoyable due to grinding that you will just throw them real money for the honor of converting it into game money.

I don't like economies in game that make the game itself a chore.