Lt. Commander
# 11
10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
You aren't buying a ship with dilithium. You're bringing a natural resource to command which enables them to commission you a ship because of dilithium scarcity. (Yes, I realize it regenerates but the Cryptic devs' stance is that Starfleet is burning their reserves faster than it can be regenerated and needs more to keep up the flow of production on ships and stations.)
Okay, so how do you rationalize training BOff's in new skills to Dilithium - Sith holocrons? Or renaming our ships - Dilithium-based paint? At some point the rationalizations break down and all that's left is an economic model designed to hinder player progress enough to drive them to the cash shop. Let's not kid ourselves, here. Trek lore was probably the last consideration factored into PWE's/Cryptic's design for the Dilithium system.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Dilithium-based paint?

Z
Warning from the Federation Poison Control Center:

Exposure to dilithium-based paint may expose young children to Dilithium poisoning. Dilithium poisoning in young children may produce nuerological damage, reduced intelligence, and learning difficulties. Dilithium poisoning is also a risk to pregnant women.

It will also make your video games less enjoyable.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-10-2011, 07:23 PM
The cure for Dilithium poisoning is unknown.. unless you go to the c-store...
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Okay, so how do you rationalize training BOff's in new skills to Dilithium - Sith holocrons? Or renaming our ships - Dilithium-based paint? At some point the rationalizations break down and all that's left is an economic model designed to hinder player progress enough to drive them to the cash shop. Let's not kid ourselves, here. Trek lore was probably the last consideration factored into PWE's/Cryptic's design for the Dilithium system.

Z
You get goodwill with the admiralty via dilithium to get them to grand your requests. It's a subtle act of negotiation presented as a store interface in-game.

Grumpy old admiral Quinn says no to all requests for training superfluous expenditures but he can't say no when he sees you hauling in a lot of dilithium.

Then again, if I designed this, instead of "ore -> refined", my conversion would be:

Dilithium crystals (tradeable) can be exchanged for Morale Points. You spend Morale Points on activities like training and ships, with the explicit understanding that Starfleet and the KDF, stretched thin, generally says no to requests. But that dilithium hauls raise morale, which gets you yeses to questions.

Maybe if you wanted to be extra clever, make it more explicit by allowing you to ask for items and get told "No" until you have the required Morale Points. Then you ask and get a yes andlose the Morale Points.

This could also allow Cryptic to introduce other methods of getting morale... or have events where everyone gets a bonus 100000 morale for the weekend (but the bonus morale disappears if not spent).

Dilithium would always convert into stable morale but other activities might give you morale that disappears when a timer expires unless spent.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikpuppy View Post
Seriously.. a second currency.

Isn't it bad enough that you had to have one currency to make the game work?

This is Star Trek, and in the federation there is NOT supposed to be any form of money or currency, everyone has what they want etc etc...

But now you want to bring in some numpty second currency that is basically a daily grinder.

Roddenberry is probably turning in his grave right now.. federation star ship captains mining and refining ore.. and get a discount for a new ship.

Seriously this is a joke right, because a joke is the only way I can look at this whole thing.. because it certainly isn't very star trek no matter what logo you put on the game.

Regretful lifer.
The alternative is that they play it just like the shows: you spent several months IRL time in one ship, and get a new one when the Federation feels like giving you one.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I always assumed the "Federation has no money" thing was a load of poorly thought out bull. Rather, I assumed they had simply evolved past petty greed and gotten to a point where they realized that money was nothing more than a medium of trade.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Incase you get covered in that Dilithium Paint, here is some information the boys at Federation Poison Control Center gave me...

"Do not get covered in the Dilithium Paint"

The quality of our Dilithium Paint has risen dramatically, our painters however, has not...as a result you may have heard we are going to phase out other resources, theres still a few things to wrap up though first up: Dilithium Gell! The bean counters told us we could not afford to buy 7 dollars worth of Dilithium ore much less 8,000..bought um anyways! ground them up mix them into a gel and guess what...ground up ore are pure poison. We've just receive numberous reports that BOFFs are deafly ill, still it turns out they are great teaching tools, now we're going to see if using this Dilithium Gel will letch the poison out of a man's bloodstream.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Quote:

This is Star Trek, and in the federation there is NOT supposed to be any form of money or currency, everyone has what they want etc etc...

But now you want to bring in some numpty second currency that is basically a daily grinder.

Roddenberry is probably turning in his grave right now.. federation star ship captains mining and refining ore.. and get a discount for a new ship.

Seriously this is a joke right, because a joke is the only way I can look at this whole thing.. because it certainly isn't very star trek no matter what logo you put on the game.

Regretful lifer.
For a start, Roddenberry didn't know his "vision" would be turned into an MMO, so he neither knew nor cared about the MMO market.

A corpse, alas, lacks the desire or ability to turn over... and that is assuming he wasn't cremated (personally I do not know).
As ashes tend not to be able to "turn" in any direction, let alone "over", if he was cremated, again I have to point out, he can not "turn"... so far, your looking rather silly with your comment.

I am still alive and able to turn over, turn around, turn a page in a book and turn the other cheek, but alas Roddenberry is no longer with us and he is not able to do any of those things.

One thing I can tell you, there are episodes where the crew of a star ship, find themselves short of a certain crystal and have to find / mine / collect or earn more so they can continue there mission / journey

In fact, while the creator of Star Trek was still alive, there was a film made where a fore mentioned crystal(s) had an issue and someone had to get a special energy from a nuclear sea ship of the same name as the star ship, so the crew of said star ship could go home.

Is it really that hard to see those crystals as some sort of trade item or reward item, it has been mentioned so many times by so many ship captains and engineers as an item they didn't have enough of... really, has Cryptic done something "none canon" with the new system????
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Quote:

Regretful lifer.
Like being a milionaire, after a few days, months, years, decenium, you will get pretty bored. There is much more in life than having 'stuff'.

Having that said, what fun is there in ANY game if you can just get everything you want for nothing? ANd i think federation had some sort of currency. Like replicator rations, they probably had the same with other stuff. Did every single federation had a personal federation shuttle? No. Just a wild example.

Btw im not talking about anything Pay 2 Win here, or Cstore for that matter. And I acknowledge the concern for honest currency. Somehow I think Cryptic wants to rob us all from our money with any means possible. They are planning to control the economy, monitor it, so they can and WILL make adjustments to the system to ensure maximizing THEIR profit.