Lt. Commander
# 11
10-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicktoreBeskor View Post
i feel that crafting in this game is boring and the idems made are way over priced plus there is nothing you craft that i can not get from some npc somewere eles
Very rare ship weapons from Lt Commander to Rear Admiral? Heck, you can hardly get even rare cannons from anywhere else. I can definitely feel the difference in Tribble with -1 tier white cannons and no weapon consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Very rare ship weapons from Lt Commander to Rear Admiral? Heck, you can hardly get even rare cannons from anywhere else. I can definitely feel the difference in Tribble with -1 tier white cannons and no weapon consoles.
crafting is still boreing the best crafting was i am sorry to say it but was SWG maybe if more ppl looked at that crafting system they would understand what a true crafter to be.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Crafting IS fairly easy overall, but I just hate the farming aspect. I think my chief complaint is the insane prices for materials in the Exchange. 1500+EC for a single Mineral Sample? No thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
A few hours of exploration grinding, and then simply grinding schematics is the best way, imho, to max out crafting. Then you pretty much never have to craft a schematic again.

Compared to other games I've played, crafting in STO is extremely easy to max out. Extremely easy.

Oh, and I agree, SWG crafting was fun and rewarding. I didn't do a lot of it myself, but I supplied the resources for it. Back in the day I had 5 subs running, and pretty much think I had the largest mining operation on the server.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Quote:
crafting is still boreing the best crafting was i am sorry to say it but was SWG maybe if more ppl looked at that crafting system they would understand what a true crafter to be.
SWG is an MMO that got crafting right. There are several reasons for it's success:

1) Advancement Not Reliant on Combat
Remember the dancers and hair dresser profession? These shifted the economy away from epic builds and stats, and more towards aesthetics.

2) Resource Allocation
Bi-weekly resource shifts, which meant you had to be on your game and hunt regularly. Large items like guild halls required such a massive amount of materials, you often had to barter with others to collect enough of one material before it disappeared forever. A friend of mine made a hefty profit by staying on top of this, never once fought in combat as far as I know.

3) Regularly introduced content
Every month or so new content would be introduced. This made crafting an ever changing profession. The influx of new items mimics real world economies and had people constantly returning. This also had the side affect of creating #4.

4) Retail Chains
Due to the changes in materials and availability of items, some people made profit simply by buying up other goods and re-selling them in more remote locations for a profit. In essence, "min-malls" eventually popped up where players learned where all the shops were clustered together. This was further spawned by the ability to create houses anywhere except major cities.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
SWG is an MMO that got crafting right. There are several reasons for it's success:

1) Advancement Not Reliant on Combat
Remember the dancers and hair dresser profession? These shifted the economy away from epic builds and stats, and more towards aesthetics.

2) Resource Allocation
Bi-weekly resource shifts, which meant you had to be on your game and hunt regularly. Large items like guild halls required such a massive amount of materials, you often had to barter with others to collect enough of one material before it disappeared forever. A friend of mine made a hefty profit by staying on top of this, never once fought in combat as far as I know.

3) Regularly introduced content
Every month or so new content would be introduced. This made crafting an ever changing profession. The influx of new items mimics real world economies and had people constantly returning. This also had the side affect of creating #4.

4) Retail Chains
Due to the changes in materials and availability of items, some people made profit simply by buying up other goods and re-selling them in more remote locations for a profit. In essence, "min-malls" eventually popped up where players learned where all the shops were clustered together. This was further spawned by the ability to create houses anywhere except major cities.
i would like to see what the devs have to say about a crafting up date and making some changes to make it more like the swg system
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDS
If you get that many commons, you should have more than 20 traces. I have 1500 of each type and over 100 of each trace.

I seem to run out of Tier 4 data rather than tier 5 due to the Aeigis gear. But I don't sell on the exchange that often, just for my fleet bank.
Sold 'em off, made things and just plain gave them away...
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
i feel that crafting in this game is boring and the idems made are way over priced plus there is nothing you craft that i can not get from some npc somewere eles.to make crafting better in sto they need to make crafters have the skills to change items.and even brake items down take a white item brake it apart and use the parts to make a rare item.give them skills to set there oun stats on items.
I'd love to see that, and more, in any future crafting system.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfl View Post
1500+EC for a single Mineral Sample? No thanks.
Well, it costs 10,000 EC to buy a schematic from a NPC vendor. It takes 10 Mineral samples to make a schematic. So that puts the base price of mineral sample at 1000 EC each. Then you add in a premium because the samples can be used to make other things as well as help you level your crafting skill. How much is that worth? Well, the market says it's an extra 500 EC. Not really unreasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK-187
provided you have an borg engine equiped ship you can scan out 1500 data in an exploration sector in 3 hours, which is pretty much enough to maximise out your crafting abilities.

it comes back to how you want to spend your time in game, buying data is a short cut that isnt really neccesary, but thats your choice.
I call BS on this one and I have spent ALOT of time in clusters grinding anomalies. Althought it is possible to do it in a shorter amount of time it is not realistic. If you have everything aligned perfectly AND the entire cluster to yourself perhaps this is possible, even mathematically possible to do it faster.

1500 samples/average 5 samples per scan = 300 scans. Modest 30 sec in flight time, scan time, mini puzzles time = 2.5 hrs.

If there is anyone else in that cluster doing the exact same thing you are, well you are looking at 4-5 hrs realistically. For every additional person in that cluster your time increases because the anomalies are on a re-spawn timer that appears to be set at a random interval.

Now back to the OP, the resource gathering system and crafting system in this game are not that great. Both need an overhaul.