Lt. Commander
# 11
10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Yes, except now we have to grind for every single damn ship in the game.
Its tolerable the first few ranks, getting additional dilithium to make up the missing cost with the token.
But once you rank up to Rear Admiral Lower Half it becomes intolerable, your given 10k dilithium, but you need 20k.
That means its theoretically IMPOSSIBLE to obtain a new ship in one day since the refinement cap is at 8k, forcing you to WAIT an entire day before you can obtain a new ship and continue leveling reliably.
Now that is literally a showstopper right there.

Dilithium would probally be just fine as a currency if:
1.) You get a certain quantity from every single mission in the game.
2.) No refinement cap/a very very high one.
now i also want ships to be free at each rank up, but just to point out its not every ship as the first two a lt and lt.cmd have enough. the discrepancy starts at commander. by the time you have hit rear admiral you should have been collecting dilithium for quite some time so as long as your careful and not spending it all you should have enough.

the star clusters also give refined dilithium so there is no need to refine it, bypassing the cap entirely. im certain other things do too. now that may or may not be changed later on, as well as possible changes to the cap and tokens.

if you have not got enough then its annoying as hell, but showstopping? no of course not, you spend a little more time in a lower tier ship. its not like the games becomes impossible to play. some people have easily been playing combat 20 levels above their tier ship. spending 1 or 2 levels in a lower ship is not a real problem. that slight extra challenge in combat might even appeal to some people.

i agree that every single mission should offer you a little something in dilithium, even if its tiny and the refining cap probably should be increased or have ways of increasing it in some capacity.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
I agree that the new economy is going to fundamentally change the game , but as to "artificially prolong the amount of time it takes you to advance your character" are you talking about "mining for Dilithium" / "refining Dilithium" for ships/gear or something else ?
Because previously we were "mining for emblems" to get our fave top end gear .
"Mining emblems" isn't the same thing as "mining dilithium." Anything purchasable with Emblems currently has a non-emblem equivelant item (i.e. crafting system, ship token) and only affects top tier items. "Mining dilithium" affects all ranks and, in some cases, doesn't have non-dilithium equivalent item (i.e. ships).
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
"Mining emblems" isn't the same thing as "mining dilithium." Anything purchasable with Emblems currently has a non-emblem equivelant item (i.e. crafting system, ship token) and only affects top tier items. "Mining dilithium" affects all ranks and, in some cases, doesn't have non-dilithium equivalent item (i.e. ships).
One could make the argument that taking a system that used to only have anything to do with the top tier and making it applicable to the whole game results in something more cohesive and involved.

I mean for crying out loud, what's the big deal? You have to actually think, plan, and strive to get things now instead of just having them spoon-fed to you? How is that a bad thing?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrondiger

What you've been reading is people stressing over and panicing over a BETA. 50% of the comments so far are 'doom and gloom' reactions caused by people losing their comfort zone, due to the shift to F2P.
I think the stress and panic has more to do with the people who are testing these new systems having some legit concerns regarding the general direction Cryptic seems to be headed with their changes, more so than the actual changes themselves.

Frankly, the decisions and the direction just don't make a whole lot of sense, based on the way the game plays currently, and the panic comes about because of the general "What in the heck were they thinking?" feeling you get when you see the proposed changes on paper.

Regardless of it being a Beta or not, people have some very serious concerns regarding the general thought process that brought around such radical (and not very player friendly) changes in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
now i also want ships to be free at each rank up, but just to point out its not every ship as the first two a lt and lt.cmd have enough.
To add to this, you don't have to grind for the retrofits or the T3 Nebula or Excelsior either. They're C-$tore only.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockonator View Post
..Of what may be coming in the future regarding f2p? I have to say... I'm certainly not at ease about it...

I think that the C-store should compliment the game, but as it is now I feel like the game compliments the C-Store.

- A new Gated in-game currency. (which can effectively be bought from the c-store?)

- C-Store over In-game means. (regarding obtaining a majority of the non-standard in-game items.)

- One gated(and purchasable) in-game currency used to purchase all types of upgrades and/or do-overs of any kind?

Am I missing something here?

Some posts I have read:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=235456

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=234954

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=235652

Can somebody ease my fears?

-Shock
No I don't you need to be afraid for the moment. What we the players have access to at the moment (builds on Tribble and the information from the devs) is incomplete. Don't be fearful of the unknown.

The information that we the player have access to (Tribble builds and information from the devs) is incomplete. Most naturally assume that this is the intended direction direction without hearing anything different from the devs. And it's raising concerns as they are drastic departures (from the player perspective) from the current live game: i.e. non-free basic ships upon promotion, the current prices of ship, equipment and other gear in the Dilihtium store, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
1. i think it will be fun

2. its the same idea as league of legends
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I just want to take a moment to remind you all that we are listening to feedback, and actively working to get the changes that we will either make perceptions better, or wholly alleviate concerns onto Tribble ASAP. However, it does take time to go through this.

A big part of the reason for the F2P beta is so we can really drill down on the economy and have all of your expert feedback on it before it goes to Holodeck.

Another thing to remember is that this is a much longer testing period than you are used to seeing. It's a big job to test everything on Tribble right now, gather feedback and data, and then make changes. This isn't a small update to the game by any means, and we're working really hard, with your help, to test this update before it goes live.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
The problem Shade isn't so much the mechanics of what is being done. The issue folks are taking is the goals / aims you folks are going for.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I just want to take a moment to remind you all that we are listening to feedback, and actively working to get the changes that we will either make perceptions better, or wholly alleviate concerns onto Tribble ASAP. However, it does take time to go through this.

A big part of the reason for the F2P beta is so we can really drill down on the economy and have all of your expert feedback on it before it goes to Holodeck.

Another thing to remember is that this is a much longer testing period than you are used to seeing. It's a big job to test everything on Tribble right now, gather feedback and data, and then make changes. This isn't a small update to the game by any means, and we're working really hard, with your help, to test this update before it goes live.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Can we expect that the listening to feedback includes concerns about general polish? Things like bridges and interiors, which might not seem important gamewise, but certainly give new players a general idea regarding the overall polish of the game?

I've seen tons and tons of feedback on that, going back deep into the bowels of the forums, yet no one ever seems to comment on it, and it doesn't seem to get addressed either.

I guess what I'm asking is will the F2P update include more than just an economy change and a duty officer system? Will it also include environmental change to improve the ambience of the game as a whole in an effort to "wow" the intended new clientele and the previous disenters that left the game?