Lt. Commander
Hi everyone.

this mail goes out to those of you who are currently testing PTS due to my limited time i can only rely on the forums and the very mysterious absence of cryptic answers hidden far far away. and never really answers ur questions without giving u a question.

question 1

Vice Admiral ships no longer get a free ship token when you hit VA. instead you need to grind Dilithium and it can take more than 3 months due to limit of Converting dilithium. Is that true or False ?

Please specify information if you know any where u saw it and how it works when you hit VA.

Question 1b

If above is true Is it also true that you only gain dilithium from Dailys and not from repeat old Featured episodes or Doff system ? Estimated time to gain dilithium to get a VA ship ?

Question 2

Mark XI gear takes 3 months per pieace with dilithium conversion limit ? 143k needed 7k per day ? True or False ?

Question 3
Doff system Rare officers die or imortal ( sucks if you can lose a 1 in a life time officer )

Question 4
Old ships that where once Energy credits turned into C store ships such as nebula and excelsior ?

question 5
does feature episode missions stop give dilithium once they been done once ?

Question 6

Once you rank up most people on Pts says that if u level from LT commander to commander it takes 1 week to get a ship for that rank ? unless u buy c store ?

Thank you and hope cryptic gets their act together if some of these changes are true.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtEliz
question 1

Vice Admiral ships no longer get a free ship token when you hit VA. instead you need to grind Dilithium and it can take more than 3 months due to limit of Converting dilithium. Is that true or False ?

Please specify information if you know any where u saw it and how it works when you hit VA.
I haven't reached VA yet on Tribble so I'm not sure how it works. What I do know is that at all ranks you do not receive a free ship token. Instead you receive dilithium and a discount on the next ship you buy. You still need to grind to get enough dilithium to buy it. From what I saw in the Klingon faction so far, the grind isn't that bad. I did 2 exploration missions and was able to buy my next ship (granted this was from Lt. Commander to the Commander rank, I don't know yet how it is at higher levels).

Quote:
Question 1b

If above is true Is it also true that you only gain dilithium from Dailys and not from repeat old Featured episodes or Doff system ? Estimated time to gain dilithium to get a VA ship ?

Question 2

Mark XI gear takes 3 months per pieace with dilithium conversion limit ? 143k needed 7k per day ? True or False ?
As of right now it seems that way. Please understand that this is only Tribble and most likely things will be changing by the time it reaches Holodeck which is supposed to be by the end of the year. Nothing is final, people are just bringing up these issues to Cryptic so that they can fix it.

Quote:
Question 3
Doff system Rare officers die or imortal ( sucks if you can lose a 1 in a life time officer )
I don't know if any duty officer can die. Can they? I know they've gone to sickbay but that's about it.

Quote:
Question 4
Old ships that where once Energy credits turned into C store ships such as nebula and excelsior ?
Wrong, at least partially. I think you meant to say Emblems instead of Energy Credits. First of all if the ship was in the C-Store then it is staying in the C-Store. Second, it seems like the Tier 3 ships which have Tier 5 Counterparts are going to the C-Store because they are being converted into +1 ships.

Quote:
question 5
No episode mission gives dilithium unless it is a daily.

Quote:
Question 6

Once you rank up most people on Pts says that if u level from LT commander to commander it takes 1 week to get a ship for that rank ? unless u buy c store ?

Thank you and hope cryptic gets their act together if some of these changes are true.
Not true, at least not in the Klingon faction. It took me an hour max. I was given 8000 dilithium, the ship cost 10,000 (I'm assuming with the discount). I did 2 exploration missions each gave roughly 1440 dilithium. So I had enough to buy the new ship at Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-11-2011, 06:14 AM
question 1

Prices on Tribble are in error at present and Sdangelo has said they are too high relative to rewards. They don't want ships available instantly at rank up from commander on but you do get discount tokens. HOWEVER, you only get one discount token for all the admiral ranks from what I hear.

Question 1b

There are two forms of dilithium, ore and refined. It is difficult to say how much will be available. Some assignments/missions award refined dilithium and other reward ore. There is a daily cap of how much ore can be refined.

Question 2

Again, prices are wrong. If that is the case, the store will simply be obsolete since you can get at least one piece of Mark XI gear per STF and there are, I think, 12 regular mode STFs awarding Mark XI gear and random salvage drops and 12 Elite STFs awarding Mark XII gear. If this happens and prices don't come down, people will gear through STFs. Expect prices to come down. Also, expect STFs to STILL be the best way to gear.

Question 3

Only white quality DOs can die. There was a mixup with Heretic where he tried to make desirable DOs at all levels but he will be changing this so that desirable DOs are based on color quality. Either way, only white quality DOs can die.

Question 4

With those two examples, the current answer is yes. Of course, the flipside is that lower level ships will cost less on the C-Store and be accountwide. The Nebula and Excelsior specifically are the only ships slated to change at present and this is to insure that all tiers have 1 C-Store ship of each class.

question 5

Currently, no story missions award dilithium at all. Dilithium is currently only awarded for daily mission grind-style content. Also, Feature episodes are now regular episodes, woven into the progression, which must be donein order. Plans are for Feature Episodes to be levelless when launched and then to be inserted into level progression as standard episodes after their launch period.

Question 6

It takes about one day of grinding daily missions if you know all the dilithium sources available and if you factor in the discount token, which many people don't. Basically, the main push behind this seems to be that people can level very quickly with story content alone (Klingon front will take you well into Commander) but you MUST do non-story content to get new ships.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Hi everyone.

this mail goes out to those of you who are currently testing PTS due to my limited time i can only rely on the forums and the very mysterious absence of cryptic answers hidden far far away. and never really answers ur questions without giving u a question.

question 1

Question 1b

VA ships are currently not available, so we have no idea.

Quote:
Question 2

It'd take just under 20 days to earn one Mark XI gear. From what's been said, this is likely to be changed.

Quote:
Question 3

Rares can die if they're of white quality. If it's anything other then white, they'll survive.

Quote:
Question 4
I think so.

Quote:
question 5
Unless things have changed since I levelled up, you don't get any dilithium for featured episodes.

Quote:
Question 6

Half hour to an hour tops.

All this is beta, so nothing's concrete yet.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
I think what Cryptic really needs to do better is to highlight and add sources of dilithium. Many people don't know how to get it. Beyond that, they need to highlight that some sources give you ore (subject to the conversion cap) and some give you refined dilithium, which is already converted and doesn't count towards your cap.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Since the cryptic defense force has been gaining strength again and is trying to suggar coat the situation, here a set of answers that is straight forward the way it is on tribble at the time of this writing. And yes that means it all could change. You should decide for yourself though how likely it is to turn out in a way that you like, based on cryptic's track record regarding statements/announcements/promises and development tendencies.

Question 1:
When you rank up to Lt.Cmdr, Cmdr, Cpt, and Rear Admiral Lower Half you receive a token that allows you to purchase one of the ships that were originally (at the time of the first release of the game) available for that specific rank, at 10% of their "full" dilithium price. You also receive a certain amount of refined dilithium, but not enough to buy the ship corresponding to your new rank.

At Rear Admiral Lower Half the ships (the standard Tier 5) cost 21'000 refined dilithium, with the discount token, and you receive 10'000 at rankup. That means you have to earn 11'000 refined dilithium through other means to optain the highest tiered ships available outside of the c-store.
Per day you can refine a maximum of 8000 dilithium (meaning convert dilithium ore to the actual dilithium currency with which you purchase ships, BOs, items etc., at a 1:1 conversion ratio).
Earning the "missing" dilithium for the RA ships can be achieved within two days, if you invest enough time.

You asked about the VA ships, this part is simple: when being promoted to VA you do not receive anything regarding ship purchases, no token, no dilithium, nothing. All the Vice Admiral ships can only be optained through the c-store, by paying c-points.

Question 1b:
None of the storyline missions grant dilithium. You optain dilithium (ore) through daily missions that are within your level range, such as exploration dailies in clusters that are within a certain range of your current rank. At VA I think this is just B'tran but I haven't specifically tested that myself.
There is a variety of daily missions that grant dilithium, I cannot give you a complete run down as I will likely miss the one or the other.

It is possible to earn a small amount of dilithium (read: mostly just 2 digit numbers) through the Duty Officer system. If your doffs achieve a "critcal success" in a mission you might get (refined) dilithium as additional reward. Chances for critical success varies depending on various factors but usually range in the single- or low-end of two-digit percentages.

As mentioned VA ships cannot be optained outside the c-store.

Question 2:
Mark XI very rare (purple) weapons for example cost... 143'000, or 145'000 dilithium each, I am not 100% sure right now. At 8'000 dilithium per day that means it takes either 18 or 19 days fully using the daily refinement cap each day.

Question 3:
The common (white) Doffs can die permanently. The very special ones, those you name "1 in a life time" can not be permanently lost. I don't know about the inbetween ones like green and blue quality though.

Question 4:
Lower (= non-tier 5) versions of ships that were previously purchasable with energy credits, that have a tier 5 version optained in the c-store are no longer available for energy credits.
The Tier 3 versions of the Excelsior and Nebula, which could previously be purchased with ECs, are no longer available through these means, and not for dilithium either.

Question 5:
No featured episode (or other story mission for that matter) gives dilitihum at any point.

Question 6:
The difference between discounted price and dilithium given upon promotion is relatively small at the rank of Commander. It is possible to earn it within one or two days.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Everything I said was pretty much what you said, Flint. The one distinction I'd make is that some sources of dilithium DON'T provide ore but supply refined dilithium, which bypasses the daily cap. It may be a bug but, I think the big thing we're seeing is that not all dilithium sources are hooked up and we're not clear on whether there are supposed to be sourced of refined dilithium beyond converting ore (there currently are some) which throws some of those calculations out.

I think for us to get an accurate feel, we need to see what the dilithium sources are.

I mean... As it stands, we can convert 8k in ore a day but is it possible to earn 8k in a day? I'm not sure. Is it intended for all dilithium rewards to be in the form of ore or are we supposed to earn BOTH ore (which we have to convert) and pre-processed dilithium (which doesn't factor into the conversion cap)?

It could be fine with me if the result is, say, easy tasks provide ore, which is subject to a processing cap and hard tasks provide processed dilithium.

Take a for-instance: Imagine that in PvP, the winner gets pre-processed dilithium and the loser gets ore. Or STFs award pre-processed dilithium.

What that could do is, we might have substantially more dilithium we can earn a day than 8k but we might just be limited to 8k from easy tasks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I think what Cryptic really needs to do better is to highlight and add sources of dilithium. Many people don't know how to get it. Beyond that, they need to highlight that some sources give you ore (subject to the conversion cap) and some give you refined dilithium, which is already converted and doesn't count towards your cap.
As I understand it, the intended design is that the only time you will receive refined dilitium is when you rank up. Any other source of refined dilithium should be going away.

However, to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, this is on Tribble for a reason, and is so incredibly subject to change that I'm willing to say that it is going to change.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-11-2011, 03:04 PM
for purchasing ships as you rank up. LtC-Cmd you are 2000 short. CMD-Cpt you are 5000 short..and CPT-RA you are 10,000 short. I've never had to grind to get my ship. I haven't done any exploration dailies yet, I've only been doing mirror and SFA events, as well as the lore daily and Doff assignments. Had plenty of dilithium by the time I got my next ship. I will say that I am still on the klingon story arc. I haven't progressed very far in the story and am still ranking up like a mad man. If devs are reading, leveling needs to slow down a little bit. Less than two weeks of casual play(don't play every day, only an hour or two at a time) and I'm a RA.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
for purchasing ships as you rank up. LtC-Cmd you are 2000 short. CMD-Cpt you are 5000 short..and CPT-RA you are 10,000 short. I've never had to grind to get my ship. I haven't done any exploration dailies yet, I've only been doing mirror and SFA events, as well as the lore daily and Doff assignments. Had plenty of dilithium by the time I got my next ship. I will say that I am still on the klingon story arc. I haven't progressed very far in the story and am still ranking up like a mad man. If devs are reading, leveling needs to slow down a little bit. Less than two weeks of casual play(don't play every day, only an hour or two at a time) and I'm a RA.
I was thinking about what you said above and how much you are "short" along with he current DL refinement limit.

I believe you can refine 8000 DL per day. Based that and on your numbers above you need only 1/4 of one day's worth of refining time for the LtC-Cmd T3 ship. For the Cmd-Capt T4 ship you need less than one full day of refinement time. For the Cpt-RA ship you will need 2 days of refining time for the T5.

My question is, can someone level from Captain to RA in one day or less? Is it common for anyone to complete all of tier 4 in single day?

It seems from my personal experience it takes longer than a day to complete the 10 sub-ranks for T4 and so I will definitely have the two days needed to refine the ore for a T5 ship.

Personally the refinement limit with regards to getting a ship does not seem that bad to me if our numbers at this time are accurate.