Lt. Commander
# 1 Listing a few concerns.
10-09-2011, 02:53 AM
Well, I am all for free to play, it's fine. When I first heard it being announced I was a but indifferent but mostly positive. I intended to keep my sub going for the Gold Member benefits and stuff because, well, I haven't been playin the game that long, a few months and I quite like it. I haven't had my fill just yet. But, some of the news I am getting from friends playing tribble and a some posts I read here are disturbing me somewhat and making me question whether or not I intend to keep paying my subscription fee after F2P or even continuing to play at all. Here are a few of my concerns.

Grinding for a new ship after ranking up.

This is a major flaw in my opinion. Ranking up for me was one of the most fun parts of leveling a new character. You got a new ship, and got to try it out right away. It was always met with much anticipation.
But, I hear on tribble, you have to actually get down and grind to get a new ship. So badly in fact that some people just SKIP getting a new ship and continue on the next rank in a lower tier ship just to avoid the grind. This, in my humble opinion is unacceptable. Keep the free ship tokens in, or at least, let free ship tokens be available to Gold members. That would be a acceptable compromise in my eyes.

Forced Dailies.

VERY BAD IDEA. No one likes a game to become a hassle. I am going to presume to speak for a large (At least I hope) portion of the fan base of this game when I say we don't want forced dailies. It is not fun to be bothered to log into a game just to get dailies out of the way in order to progress properly in the game. It was a bad idea in WoW and other MMO's with similar setups and it will be a bad idea for STO. No one wants a second job when they look to play a MMO.

Dilithium Daily Cap

Bad idea. Although I can see the cap only being there for silver members but if it is applied to Gold members as well, it is a absolutely horrible idea. The whole idea of grinding Dilithium in entirety is a bad idea.. But to limit even that? That's horrible. What's the point of it? I for one, don't like grinding, and I am sure a large portion of the fanbase would agree with me here.
Suggestion: Implement a similar setup to the way merits work. Obtain Dilithium from missions, quests, possible ways to mine for it, gather it as if it were crafting materials, make it possible for people to have enough of it to last without worrying about running out and having to grind for more.

Pay to win

This is somewhat of a controversial subject. Some people like the idea, some people are appalled by it. Personally I don't quite like the idea myself of someone having better stuff than me just because they got a disposable income to burn on the C-store. But, the object of the company that owns the game is to make money right? I don't know... Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth thinking about it.
Especially since I heard that they are removing the T3 Nebula and Excelsior models from the game to plop on the C-store with upgraded pay to win versions. That's not a very nice way to treat us loyals that stood with the game all this time in my opinion.

Anyways, I apologize if I went on a rant there. Some things were bothering me and I need to know if anyone agrees with me. I am clinging to a near non existent strand of hope that with enough negative feedback on some of the concerns listed above that they may be modified or even scrapped. But, well, I know the track record for content on the test servers. ...Fingers crossed...

Live Long and Prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-09-2011, 03:24 AM
I agree in all things.

Reduced Dilithium prices, or non-daily Exploration mission that give more dilithium would be better too.

As for Pay to win... adding new overpowered equipment is understandable.

But taking away what used to be free and putting in c-store is not acceptable.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeale
I agree in all things.

Reduced Dilithium prices, or non-daily Exploration mission that give more dilithium would be better too.

As for Pay to win... adding new overpowered equipment is understandable.

But taking away what used to be free and putting in c-store is not acceptable.
I guess I can compromise with the pay to win so far it is only to level up and no pay to wins at Endgame yet... That could change things.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Basically with this build Cryptic is trying to do 3 things:
1) Keep the C-point strong vs. dilithium. Fewer dilithium means more C Points for the C point/dilithium exchange.
2) Make your first ship a source of revenue. Either through the C Store or through the C point/dilithium exchange.
3) Make the ship you fly critical by restricting your non-mission options (making exploration missions dailies) and by having one singular mission chain.

This is a way to strongly encourage you to go C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-11-2011, 04:54 AM
While I do share some of your concerns, my advice to you is to create your own Tribble toon and see for yourself instead of basing your opinions on what others say. Also bear in mind that it is a beta test - things can and do change. So make a toon and give your own feedback. (Plus the doff system is great fun to play with )
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Tatami
I guess I can compromise with the pay to win so far it is only to level up and no pay to wins at Endgame yet... That could change things.
Just got a VA on tribble, all of the retrofit ships, the VA ships if you will are now C-Store only. On holodeck I was able to get the defiant retrofit for my VA tac, without buying the bloody thing. However on tribble it is a C-Store Purchase....

I really am beginning to think that Cryptic is totally fine with pay to win at End game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-11-2011, 05:15 AM
What abouit Boffs? Ive been playin klingon side and made Captain, and I have not had one single Boff offered to me since the 3 I left with at the beginning. I went and bought one for 240 dilithium, just so I could man every station on my cruiser, but they are all white boffs, no green, blue or purple. I believe I have one on the way through the doff system, but it is a 3 day mission. Right now I can level after every mission, I get over 1200 skill points per mission. So if I hit the game hard I could be at genreal before that doff mission is ever finished. Is it the same on the fed side, with boffs?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-11-2011, 06:00 AM
All your points are exactly what I have experienced on tribble. I can't exaclty see cryptic doing a U-turn on most of their decisions though, even though most players are voicing the same concers.

Prove me wrong cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambril
While I do share some of your concerns, my advice to you is to create your own Tribble toon and see for yourself instead of basing your opinions on what others say. Also bear in mind that it is a beta test - things can and do change. So make a toon and give your own feedback. (Plus the doff system is great fun to play with )
The person you refer to is correct in everything. His freinds have told him the truth about everything. EVry single gripe he has is the same as mine. and I have a Fed and Klingon on Tribble and now I refuse to get on and play...ever.