Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Leveling to Quickly
10-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I think this game levels way to quickly. The rewards needs to stay the same but the XP required to level should be doubled at least. By the time you get geared you are ready to hit the next rank.... it's a pain and it takes away from the game and creates frustration.

Perhaps it's faster on tribble on purpose, i don't know. One mission from a story arc should not get you 80 percent through a level. Additionally, I made it halfway through Cmdr by aggressively playing the DOff system over two days... again... half a rank in just 2-3 days worth of maxing out my number of assignments some of which gave A LOT of XP.

I'd say double the XP required to level and increase the XP boost percentages by double as well so you still get the same or greater value for what you pay for. Otherwise, you don't even have any time to enjoy the story arcs and tier X.5 ships since if you can level past them in two or three days (talking life days here, like after you get home from work) of casual, distracted, watching tv/sleeping at the keyboard, not even trying play! Then you go back to catch up on the story arcs and because you're flying a T5 and you just freakin roll them even though they are level matched now.

And of course as I write this... I've just shot my own argument out the window with a thought: It took forever to level my first toon... but now it's cake because I know what I'm doing.... maybe a middle ground should be found.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
10-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree here. The amount of exp given currently is going to render the 'Main Quest' system you guys have setup to be more of a major hindrance than what you're envisioning it to be. Question is: Was this intentional for the Tribble test only and the exp gain will remain as is when F2P goes live? Or is it going to be like this? Because if it's going to have a massive exp gain to where you go up a grade from finishing a single mission. You'll have nothing but VA's in days rather than the normal time it would take.

As it stands, with the normal missions, FE's, PVP, Patrols, Exploration Missions, and the implementation of the DOff System. That's quite easily six different ways to level. As it stands now in the beta. Most of us are either RA or higher and still doing lower level missions ranging from the Klingon Front to Romulan Front missions.

The current exp rate you guys have on Holodeck would be a good thing to stick with imo. Quite frankly, levelling in Holodeck is pretty easy as it is, /especially/ with the xp boosts from Q every now and again, /and/ the C-Store xp boosts.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglcny View Post
I think this game levels way to quickly. The rewards needs to stay the same but the XP required to level should be doubled at least. By the time you get geared you are ready to hit the next rank.... it's a pain and it takes away from the game and creates frustration.

Perhaps it's faster on tribble on purpose, i don't know. One mission from a story arc should not get you 80 percent through a level. Additionally, I made it halfway through Cmdr by aggressively playing the DOff system over two days... again... half a rank in just 2-3 days worth of maxing out my number of assignments some of which gave A LOT of XP.

I'd say double the XP required to level and increase the XP boost percentages by double as well so you still get the same or greater value for what you pay for. Otherwise, you don't even have any time to enjoy the story arcs and tier X.5 ships since if you can level past them in two or three days (talking life days here, like after you get home from work) of casual, distracted, watching tv/sleeping at the keyboard, not even trying play! Then you go back to catch up on the story arcs and because you're flying a T5 and you just freakin roll them even though they are level matched now.

And of course as I write this... I've just shot my own argument out the window with a thought: It took forever to level my first toon... but now it's cake because I know what I'm doing.... maybe a middle ground should be found.
I dont see them doubling it, maybe a 25% increase but i doubt that as well. It probably is higher on tribble on purpose to facilitate testing, who knows. Anyway highly doubt theyl do anything to increase leveling xp on holo when this goes live as thatd just make it easier to dilithium fund a new ship which is not what Cryptic wants. They want you to buy one in the Cstore to avoid the grind.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
10-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Disagree totally. I think that's the whole beauty of ships costing more than you make via leveling.

Leveling is fast. Ship progression is not. The two forces are in opposition with eachother.

Without this, you would notice gaps where you have no missions. Now you always have missions but you hit progression stumbling blocks that force you to slow down without ever noticing a shortage of missions.

Additionally, befopre, most players never made it to Commander. Cryptic's said before they want everyone at endgame so they can focus new content rollouts to be at endgame.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Disagree totally. I think that's the whole beauty of ships costing more than you make via leveling.

Leveling is fast. Ship progression is not. The two forces are in opposition with eachother.

Without this, you would notice gaps where you have no missions. Now you always have missions but you hit progression stumbling blocks that force you to slow down without ever noticing a shortage of missions.

Additionally, befopre, most players never made it to Commander. Cryptic's said before they want everyone at endgame so they can focus new content rollouts to be at endgame.
Completely agree with this, faster leveling, with harder to obtain gear, which makes leveling no longer the number one concern.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I hope that this faster leveling is just something they put in to make it so everyone got to test as many levels as possible before they release the new system. I think I heard that from somewhere.

But I pray that they would make all mission rewards scale to the rank you have when you play them.

I also pray that they will not tie in the Featured Episodes the way they did. The Breen episodes whould be much much earlier, even though its close to Cardassian space, you can get to it from Eta Eridani as well. It would be much better as an end of the Klingon front missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
10-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurQue
Completely agree with this, faster leveling, with harder to obtain gear, which makes leveling no longer the number one concern.
Yes, but that gear (like the ships, etc,) will be on the C-Store. Isn't that what they want? Isn't that why they are having a mad rush to put purchasable ships at every lower tier and rank? Because the in-game free ones will be nigh-on impossible to obtain?

Also, is that why they are holding back the feature episodes until after F2P? And it's probably why you will see more feature episodes after the lauch, because it is going to make you progress more quickly under the new system, more quickly than you can obtain in-game currency.

Sorry, but it only dawned on me today what this whole new economy is actually trying to achieve, and I'm really quite staggered about it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
10-10-2011, 12:57 AM
I Think the amount of XP you are getting in the Missions are more then it should be for testing. i think leveling will be the same (XP wise) as it is on live. i may be wrong though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
10-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Also, I think this is part of the Klingon plan.

If a mission carries you a full level, then that reduces the number of KDF missions they need to createby about 15 or so even if KDF started at the same level as Feds.

The Klingons need equal missions added from a live server perspective because Feds don't even have enough to get to the cap without frinding themselves.

From what I can see, the new system makes about 10-15 of the Fed missions unnecessary, which reduces the number needed to make Klingon leveling complete.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
10-10-2011, 04:15 AM
This sounds good. It's always a race to the top for me anyway. This makes it more easier for me to max out multiple chars.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM.