# 21
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
It's a nice bug. Too bad it won't last.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobkill View Post
Everyone knows that getting refined dilithiums for missions is a bug right? According to devs, we are supposed to be getting Dilithium ORE which we can turn into refined dilithium (limit 8,000 per day). Only way in the future to get refined dilithium is to rank up or refine the ore.
I hadn't heard that, but I would not be surprised in the least to find out it was true. I guess we have to see what the silent majority has to say about it, oh that's right, the silent majority is silent 'cause they can't be bothered to take an actual interest.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethanatos View Post
I hadn't heard that, but I would not be surprised in the least to find out it was true. I guess we have to see what the silent majority has to say about it, oh that's right, the silent majority is silent 'cause they can't be bothered to take an actual interest.
Unfortunately, they probably can't be arsed to deal with the Dilthium system on Tribble.

The biggest mistake Cryptic is making in this beta is the way it's running. This is a self selecting environment, in research this is a hideously serious methodological flaw. Sometimes you can't avoid it, but it's still a problem.

Basically self selection means individuals opt in to the research, meaning you have no control over who they are, and it indicates they have prior interest in the subject. If you're researching something that only applies to a very narrow group of individuals, then self selection is somewhat acceptable.

Anyway, how this relates to STO is as follows. It's been, what, eight or nine months since we got any new content, so anyone still subbing is either a) very strongly committed to the game, or b) relatively new to the game. Of those, players who are veterans are more likely to participate in the F2P test (I'm guessing here, but it is a reasonable assumption).

Meaning, Cryptic is drawing it's information primarily from a group that is predisposed to accept more of this than a new customer is. We've seen "projections of how a new customer will react" elsewhere on the forums, though to an extent most of us aren't really qualified to make those assessments. At the same time, with this structure, as the game is now, I can't see the appeal for someone to burn time in the game when they could be playing anything else.

Additionally, I'm a little worried that most of the players who are hitting this will be game veterans who already know how most of the parts of the game fit together. How a green player is supposed to be able to find dilithium, when they've never been given any from the episodes they've been run through. And when they're told to go do a cluster mission (at present), they'd be routed to a mission that wouldn't grant dilthium.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkeRealm View Post
Snip.
Cryptic has also not been notoriously good about explaining things to new players, sometimes that is part of the fun but not in this particular game, in this particular genre. They seem to be forgetting that casual gamers tend to want more explaination than hardcore mmo players and they don't really seem to be catering to either anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Pfft, you guys are lucky. I've got a char who was at VA before this went down. She's got no discount token. She's sitting on 130,000 refined dilithium and is 70k away from a RA level ship. Still flying my cap level defiant getting blown the crap up by every enemy under the sun.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrus View Post
Pfft, you guys are lucky. I've got a char who was at VA before this went down. She's got no discount token. She's sitting on 130,000 refined dilithium and is 70k away from a RA level ship. Still flying my cap level defiant getting blown the crap up by every enemy under the sun.
mine is too Kerrus, I haven't a shot of getting a VA ship either. Doesn't matter since this testing isn't much fun so i don't really need one to do DOFF stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
So, is the complaint about KDF characters specifically, or *all* characters?

Based on my play, I'd have to do 2 Nebula missions (or one nebula and one community) along with the promotion dilithium to get my Cm ship after LC. I'd have to do 2 nebula *and* one community (along with my promotion stock) to get my Cp ship. If experience wasn't accelerated for missions right now, I'd have been doing them as I leveled up anyway for the experience, so I'm not seeing *any* additional grind currently.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalktonin View Post
LoL sorry alex you are wrong. The majority like the new way. See i can speak in plurality too. Chill out and wait, they really should take yer tribble privileges away so you can relax before you have a stroke.
Take a look at our join dates boy. We have been in this game since beta and launch. what cryptic is doing now is screwing over everybody. No free ship token at rank up, dilithium needed for just about everything, no respec token at rank up, grinding needed to get the amount you're screwed out of to get your next ship at rank up, overpriced gear at all ranks when at the old mark/badges prices are more affordable at all ranks, etc.

The 'majority' don't like the changes and your 'majority' is actually the 'minority'. You newbies know nothing about what works and doesn't work in this game. The players that have been here since Beta and launch do. If Cryptic was smart, they'd listen to their older players.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurQue
1100 refined dilithium from STF's no limit on repeats, takes less than 10 mins each.
1100 refined from mirror feature
1440 for each explore daily
488 for trailus (sp?)
488 shamir
3000 from SFA feature

I find it hard to understand why you are having problems getting enough dilithium at max rank.
Cool. Clearly we need fewer opportunities for dilithium then, if it's so easy for you! Thanks for bringing that to Cryptic's attention.

I'm a lot less concerned about this than I am about ranking up lower levels. The transition from Captain to RA ship is a lot less of a big deal than it is at Commander or Captain, and STO has a hard enough being compelling enough to retain players. This sure isn't gonna help keep people around.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkeRealm View Post
Yeah, but remember, that does not work, because the C-Store ships don't allow you to complete the promotion missions.
Promotion missions have nothing to do with ranking up. On Holodeck, you rank up with skill point spending. On Tribble, you rank up automatically.

Promotion missions don't gate any content and have nothing to do with being promoted.