Lt. Commander
# 21
11-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Its so sad that people are complaining about this. Blowing up people with tricobalt mines around ESD is a victimless crime. Its funny as hell and dying in this game has no negative effects.

Get a sense of humor.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
Its so sad that people are complaining about this. Blowing up people with tricobalt mines around ESD is a victimless crime. Its funny as hell and dying in this game has no negative effects.

Get a sense of humor.
I thin the people being blown up might disagree. Of course, no real harm is done. But either way, the change was a bad idea, and the change to the change doesn't really make all the issues go away.

Seriously, Cryptic buffed Beam Fire At Will a while back and changed its mechanics so it would never be a drawback to use it (old BFAW meant less DPS against your primary target when you had more than one target around). Now they are adding friendly fire to the game? What is it now - should using abilities come with a drawback - sometimes, never, always?

The "friendly fire" mechanic is also a great way to make pets problematic again - try a Tri-Cobalt Volley against a Carrier some time. Suddenly all those tiny blimps around you are a chance to stun yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
In that case I'd rather it was just rolled back to how it is on Holodeck. The fact that friendlies were not effected by things like Warp Plasma made those powers seem unrealistic. Now friends aren't going to be effected again, so what is the point? It's still going to be unrealistic. Having the splash effect yourself is just annoying, if a fully realistic change isn't going to be in.

Here's an idea: Only enable friendly fire on the higher difficulties. Normal: No splash damage whatsoever. Advanced: Splash damage for self only. Elite: Full friendly fire splash damage. That way those of us who want a more challenging and realistic experience can get one, without making life harder for everyone else.
I fully support this idea!!!

+1

/Stamp of approval
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
All mine and torpedo powers have been changed to deal splash AOE damage to only your enemy, and yourself. This change should be rolled out very soon.

They will still deal splash damage if you're too near your own target when they go off (as intended, to discourage folks from using things like Tricobalts as close range space-grenades), but they will no longer affect other players.

The splash damage will also ignore friendly fighters, targetable torpedoes and mines.

This change should address the social zone griefing, as well as being a general 'quality of life' improvement.
You know what would be a general "quality of life" improvement? Removing the splash damage altogether.

You guys posted up, asking our feedback on AOE splash damage and friendly fire. The community resoundingly said no. You still did it.

Kind of stupid to have asked for our input if you were going to ignore it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
You know what would be a general "quality of life" improvement? Removing the splash damage altogether.

You guys posted up, asking our feedback on AOE splash damage and friendly fire. The community resoundingly said no. You still did it.

How long have you been playing this game? :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
They will still deal splash damage if you're too near your own target when they go off (as intended, to discourage folks from using things like Tricobalts as close range space-grenades), but they will no longer affect other players.
What brilliant individual decided it was a good idea to remove a very difficult to use but occasionally rewarding bit of game play? Who thought it was a good idea to add more work for a (supposedly short handed and overworked) team to create a mechanic that nobody asked for and most actually said they didn't want? Now you get to spend more developmental time fixing a problem that shouldn't have been created in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
All mine and torpedo powers have been changed to deal splash AOE damage to only your enemy, and yourself. This change should be rolled out very soon.

The splash damage will also ignore friendly fighters, targetable torpedoes and mines.

This change should address the social zone griefing, as well as being a general 'quality of life' improvement.
... but why?

I thought the whole point of splash damage was to give the threat of friendly fire.

Pretty much the ONLY way to effectively use a tricobalt is at close- to point-blank range with all of the AoEs out there. This is going to further invalidate them.

Why even bother implementing "friendly fire" on Tricos if it's going to make them even more useless?
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Why even bother implementing "friendly fire" on Tricos if it's going to make them even more useless?
My theory: A dev went to test some things on the live server and entered Kerrat. There he met Smallsam (name changed to protect the player's privacy) who blew him up with a tricobalt bombing run. Result: Immediate dev action to remedy this situation.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post

I seem to recall that proposal thread being a pretty mixed bag. Definitely not a resounding no...
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Quote:

This does not resolve the issue... more mines on the map = graphics slowdown = graphics griefing. This was one of the ways mine spammers won pvp matches... by causing server resource overloads.