Lt. Commander
# 21
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I think the Dev Blog was a good one, simply because it reinforces something that I agree with, telling us when they see something is wrong, but not necessarily saying exactly how they intend on fixing it. I want to know when glaring issues are being looked at and worked on. I don't need to know the specifics, because that's not my job. I don't need to know about the 15 iterative attempts that DIDN'T make the cut. I DO want to know that when something is painful to do, they're at least working on it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
I find it amazing how much that blog says without actually telling us anything.... >.<
Yeah...honestly, this is just a repeat of the posts D'Angelo has been making over the past couple of weeks. I'll just repeat what I said in another thread: when the appropriate changes are actually made I will definitely commend the team for listening. However, I dont think anyone should take any assurances that the team is listening or that changes are coming as actual solutions until we see the results.
/QFT. Alex and the Nagus are Wise.

I think people, myself included, are used to previous Tribble builds, where we get a couple days, maybe a week or three, to test, but then in perfect "Ready or not here I come!"-style, the build gets pushed to Holodeck and the fixes, tweaks, etc. happen (or not) there on the Live server.

It's clear they're taking a different methodology here, which I want to hope means we'll get a "cleaner" version to hit live. Still, the Devs keep talking about how this is going to be a long Tribble Test Cycle with multiple iterations. I'd like a better idea of how long we should expect... I understand things are fluid, but surely internally they have a scheduled goal they'd like to hit. What's that goal? Do they want to release in two weeks? A month? Six weeks? By December? Janaury? Even a ball park of which month they're aiming for the big F2P release would be nice.

If I knew they were planning for a Dec 14th Release Date (made up number), I'd feel a lot less pressure for them to get it right right now!

Anywho, as Blackman said, the first step to fixing a mistake is admitting it. So here's hoping we're already at the worse possible Tribble Beta, and that it will only get better from here.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
While I am truly happy Mr D'Angelo that you stated you are listening ( and I do hope that is the case) you have to understand our (the players) point of view. Words are good, communication is good, but the followthrough actions speak more volumes. While I do understand what you all are going through, you all have to understand that in this case, you have to find that sweet spot where you and the players can have changes that everyone can live with. Again, a prime example of a f2p setup that works for players and the company is LOTRO. Their version of 'accolades" takes those accolade points and turns them into useful currency that can be used in their store. Being able to spend accolade points to exchange them for cpoints or refined dilithium would be a good start. Don't get me wrong, I like the accolades, but having useless accolade points is ultimately useless without being able to do something with those points.

As for more feedback on f2p, I would recommend that the different fronts (romulan/cardassian/borg/breen/undine) be gated off to f2p players and offered to f2pers as content packs. that way, while they could technically level on the klingon front alone (lot of grinding) it would encourage them to either buy these "front" packs, or sub and get full access. (again, taking the similar setup that LOTRO has.) It does work, and the community over there overall has no problems with it, and it WORKS.

As far as the dilithium issue, you will always have dilithium farmers ( either legitimate players or not) the refinement cap honestly makes ZERO sense. There just aren't enough ways to get dilithium ore to honestly warrant this. You want players to hit endgame content, but at the same time you are also saying that those who have reached level cap got there too fast. This is a case where you have to realize that you can't have your cake and eat it too the way you are going about it.

Now I know there are those that will see this and say "LOTRO? This is STO not LOTRO!" That's not my point. my point is that as a f2p and sub business model it WORKS for both the company AND the players. with the business model being a success, why would you NOT want to emulate it?
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-12-2011, 12:00 PM
While I value communication, I also agree that misinformation can be worse than silence.

I think there's a viable middle ground, overall, where devs can hint at things, offer questions instead of answers. Let tweet leaks speak for themselves and, most importantly, remind us that they are human beings and show us that they are busy... without falling into the trap of promising things based on vapor.

One example of that that works for me is how MHighson showed STOked his work with holstered weapons and low gravity suits, showing us that he's testing things while admitting it may be a very long time before we see some of that and possibly never.

I think engineering reports looked too much like patch notes. Hints became promises. At the same time, we as a community can't go on nothing, especially with long dry spells on mission content and new features.

I like how Champions shows off concept art.

Once the F2P transition is done, you know what I'd like? Just a nice, juicy, monthly dose of things like footage of the humanoid on the arachnoid body, Gorn in Starfleet uniforms, new weapons being tested, spliced with concept art. No explanation. No time table. Just maybe 5 whole minutes a month showcasing what's being spitballed internally.

Then, maybe a weekly glance at the whiteboard. I dunno how many of you follow comics but DC Comics had (and has kindof abandoned) this running thing in its Booster Gold comics of showing a white board belonging to a time traveler named Rip Hunter and it would be covered in riddles. Something like that.

Don't make us promises or give us spoilers, for the most part. Show us that you're busy.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yeah...honestly, this is just a repeat of the posts D'Angelo has been making over the past couple of weeks. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad to hear they are listening. But I'll just repeat what I said in another thread: when the appropriate changes are actually made I will definitely commend the team for listening. However, I dont think anyone should take any assurances that the team is listening or that changes are coming as actual solutions until we see the results.
My feelings exactly.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I think the purpose of this one was simple. In countless threads they have been repeating the same thing over and over again. And yet, people continue with the same questions/comments/concerns. I believe it was his intent to have it in a general area that those who do not use the dev tracker to see it clear that they are planning on tweaks to the system and that what is on tribble does not mean it will be like that live.

Could he have offered more? Maybe. But this issue with the dilithium was the hottest issue for all players, I believe.

There will be those who grab the pitchforks and torches at anything. That being said, if the f2p was going live tomorrow (lets say) and this issue with the dilithium was still unresolved, then there would be validation to those who are asking why is it this way.

Just my thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Yep, that read like a politician blowing smoke until they can think of something to actually say (quick,were his lips moving?) to address our issues. The dilithium system is not the only (or even the main) problem, it is that everything is now gated so much I feel like I am wearing a straight jacket trying to play.

The build in Tribble is not only not fun, it is the polar opposite of fun. I tried to play for several hours last night and it was frankly horrible, even worse on the Klingon side than the Fed side because that unbroken mission chain requires more grinding in the middle.

Tribble currently feels like This instead of what it is supposed to be which is this This. You guys have gone way too far this time and it's time to look back at the changes and try to figure out what we were thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Quote:
You may have noticed that while we have been posting to acknowledge that various game play elements are not working, we are not posting how we intend to fix them. We are not telegraphing changes until we get a chance to try them out internally to make sure that they’re satisfactory. Usually this happens all the way up until the next build makes it to Tribble. I have told the team that it's better to be quiet than to post answers that turn out to be different from what we actually end up doing. Misinformation can be worse than silence in some cases.
You know. Dstahl had to clam up during the transition for legal reasons beyond his control. IT was NOT a good thing for the community. Right now you have people guessing as to what your intent is with this dilithium system. Nothing in your blog posts tells me anything. We don't know what direction you are planning on going with this and peoples guesses are already starting to permeate outside of this little community.

We are already being forced to endure multiple radical changes already. The last thing this community needs is to be stone walled.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Double post. I need a new phone
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Does this mean that the holodeck to tribble character copy, which should have happened this week, is going to be postponed?
Probably a good idea, but I was just asking for a confirmation. No harm