Lt. Commander
# 1 OnLive Idea
10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Ok so I'll start by saying that I have no idea how it all works behind the scenes, I'm just putting forward an idea to expand the user base.

Now that STO is going F2P, maybe it would be possible to expand the game to OnLive? Perhaps as part of the Playpack? I'm a Lifer and have been playing since Closed Beta, so it makes no odds to me personally, but I recently joined OnLive and discovered that the gamers there - so far at least - are a more mature (in terms of attitude) user base.

With F2P coming along, I'd welcome a source of mature gamers. I have awful predictions of 500 "USS KittyKat" and "Captain Tutti Frutti" filling up the servers. Each to their own of course, but it isn't very Star Trek.

Plus it never hurts to have as wide a pool of players as possible.

I also note that STO makes my PC run hotter than Crysis does. When playing Crysis, my PC fans etc ramp up to about 50% at max settings. For STO they go flat out 100% trying to keep everything cool. OnLive requires no special hardware other than a fast internet connection, so it could open the game up to people with very low system specs.

Feel free to poke holes in my idea.. as my name would suggest, it was hastily cobbled together!
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Well, I haven't had a chance to experience it first hand, but I like the idea of having STO available this way (to stay with the trend).

The thing is, as I see it, to play mmos through such a system your going to want a strong high spec (costly) internet connection - and if you can afford that for gaming purposes then I think it is also very likely that you can expect such people to have computers capable of running the game without it getting hot. If you follow my reasoning, I'm not sure how this could translate into bringing in more mature players. Who would invest in such a connection without first investing in a pc that would actually run the client.

As I said, I have no first hand experience at it, so perhaps that is a non-issue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
Well, I haven't had a chance to experience it first hand, but I like the idea of having STO available this way (to stay with the trend).

The thing is, as I see it, to play mmos through such a system your going to want a strong high spec (costly) internet connection - and if you can afford that for gaming purposes then I think it is also very likely that you can expect such people to have computers capable of running the game without it getting hot. If you follow my reasoning, I'm not sure how this could translate into bringing in more mature players. Who would invest in such a connection without first investing in a pc that would actually run the client.

As I said, I have no first hand experience at it, so perhaps that is a non-issue.
I have a very high spec PC and STO still makes it run hot.

I know people who have no PC, only a netbook but have high speed internet for using with Xbox 360 (streaming HD movies etc). So there are people out there with a suitable internet connection but no means to play STO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty_Diatribe
Ok so I'll start by saying that I have no idea how it all works behind the scenes, I'm just putting forward an idea to expand the user base.

Now that STO is going F2P, maybe it would be possible to expand the game to OnLive? Perhaps as part of the Playpack? I'm a Lifer and have been playing since Closed Beta, so it makes no odds to me personally, but I recently joined OnLive and discovered that the gamers there - so far at least - are a more mature (in terms of attitude) user base.

With F2P coming along, I'd welcome a source of mature gamers. I have awful predictions of 500 "USS KittyKat" and "Captain Tutti Frutti" filling up the servers. Each to their own of course, but it isn't very Star Trek.

Plus it never hurts to have as wide a pool of players as possible.

I also note that STO makes my PC run hotter than Crysis does. When playing Crysis, my PC fans etc ramp up to about 50% at max settings. For STO they go flat out 100% trying to keep everything cool. OnLive requires no special hardware other than a fast internet connection, so it could open the game up to people with very low system specs.

Feel free to poke holes in my idea.. as my name would suggest, it was hastily cobbled together!
This would be different than the 500 Captain Kirks and Picards and U.S.S. Enterprise's each with there own variation on the spelling that we have now?

Otherwise, I fully support another means to get more of player base in the game. Not saying that the current player base isn't, but would be nice to see more mature players in the game.