Lt. Commander
# 31
07-25-2009, 09:30 PM
This is a fantastic idea and look forward to the changes...
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Great Idea Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Oh this is cool! I wonder which fleets were invited?
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 View Post
if your fleet was selected, it sounds like you would already know. just an fyi.
only if the leadership wishes the rest to know
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I have a feeling that the Fleets that have been chosen for this program are going to be getting a ton more applicants! I know I'll want to check out this new feature!
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-26-2009, 12:03 AM
The six fleets are just member of the "fleet-forum-beta", not the "game-beta". You have to distinguish that. So there isn`t any secret content, why should the have a NDA?!?

Being in a fleet at the moment is in mmo very pointless, because we don`t know at all, what game mechanics will support fleet-gaming...so there could only be a superficial decision for a fleet. I`m a little disappointed that cryptic supports these player which like to bear a banner in public. Gives me no good feeling about single-player content.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitan1701 View Post
Being in a fleet at the moment is in mmo very pointless, because we don`t know at all, what game mechanics will support fleet-gaming...so there could only be a superficial decision for a fleet. I`m a little disappointed that cryptic supports these player which like to bear a banner in public. Gives me no good feeling about single-player content.
Solo play will be at the heart of the game. I think the devs understand the need for players to go off exploring and experiencing content on their own like our favorite captains in the TV shows. I'm sure we won't be short-changed on that front But there's also the need for hubs like Deep Space Nine where fleets can gather for joint efforts and it's good to prepare for that aspect of the game now, than later on.

In setting up private areas on the official forums for fleets to organize themselves it helps to unify the fanbase, so that the many websites out there which are following STO can start to use this forum as their official discussion forum for any and all issues related to their fleet.

It's also putting the forum software to good use and easing the burden on the community reps.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Private Fleet Forums!

Earlier this week I teased that I would have some exciting changes on the forums this Friday, and now, I can tell you all about it!

The Star Trek Online community will be testing out Private Fleet Forums over the next couple of months. Right now, we are starting this “beta” program off by inviting six of the fleets on these forums to host their own forum here on the STO Forum page. These forums will only be able to be seen by members of their individual community, and will be moderated by their fleet’s leaders. The fleets are still required to follow the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines, and failure to do so may lead to their removal from the program. If things go as swimmingly as I hope they will, then we will be opening this service to more fleets as time goes on, and hopefully one day be able to provide this service to all of our community’s fleets.

Your STO community team is very excited to be able to offer these services, and we hope you will share our excitement as well!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Just want to know if this is a way in securing Fleet names as well once STO launches. Also, this sounds like a good plan. Cryptic is really going all out for Fleets.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-26-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm curious how they will implement this. I've seen other games do this before, but I've never seen one thats not launched do it. I mean, how ill this transition into the game? Will fleet applications be done via the website and not ingame, I mean once the game goes live or atleast into beta, one would assume that people in a fleet will be in that fleet ingame? But then that would mean all your charactors would have to be in that fleet? I can see alot of issues might need ironing out with this idea when the game comes out.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-26-2009, 10:53 AM
It's possible this system will allow Fleets to monitor and administrate their resources and ranks through the forums aswell as in game. Think of it like an improved version of WoW's armory system.

This sounds probable, but still 100% speculation on my part.