Lt. Commander
# 1 New Ships
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
So what we know from STOked: (in terms of ships)

The Connie Refit skin looks amazing, and I wish it were a T5 ship. This will encourage me to reroll an engie captain. (Ability: cloaking Torpedo)

There's a saber in there somewhere with a speed boost console. Fun!

The Odyssey looks great, again, reroll engie captain.

The Akira refit can kill fighters real fast. (Woopie!) Couldn't we do this already? The Akira Refit looks like a cross between the Akira and the Oslo. Meh. Seems to also be rocking that Venture texture, black and white.

A defiant with quad cannons. It now looks more CANON. Get it?

None of these ships but the Odyssey are top tier ships or are usable skins at top tier(or maybe they are?).

No idea when these are coming out or reaching a test server.

Anybody have any information to add or correct?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
AFAIK, the defiant one will have a skin you can use on your defiant retrofit, similar to the venture.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
As much as this is cool. Where are the flipping canon ships! e.g 2nd phase sovereign refit, ambassdor class, maybe the nx refit that would be awesome and etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
personally id like to see more ships that havent been seen before . like the whole massive gap between the excelsior and ambassador classes
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplor View Post
personally id like to see more ships that havent been seen before . like the whole massive gap between the excelsior and ambassador classes

There is no gap, the two classes were very close to one another, Excelsior was the lead ship of the class and put into service in 2287-90 (after being refit with conventional warp drives) and is when the class was put into full scale production, and the Ambassador (also class lead) launched approx. 2320-25. Are you referring to a design theory gap or time gap?
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-06-2011, 04:02 PM
design theory gap
there must have been other ships between the two
this gives a good example

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/...oi-fish-uyeno/
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplor View Post
design theory gap
there must have been other ships between the two
this gives a good example

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/...oi-fish-uyeno/
OMG!! I know those are fan made starship classes, but hot damn, I have a new favorite class ship!! The Balmung takes my two favorite classes and blurs the line between them. It's even got more than a couple nods to the Constiution class also. That ship is brilliant! I wont kid myself that we will ever see it in game but I'm just saying that I would pay $50 in the c-store to fly that class.

As far as a design theory between Excelsior and Ambassador, in my opinion I would say that wouldn't be a intermediate class between the two. My money would be that as the two classes were in production at the same time for decades it would be most likely that someone sat down looked at the two classes and their respective strengths/weaknesses, said "we've got two great classes here, how can we improve on both of them using readilly available and currently produced starthip components?"

If I were to speculate what time ST wise this ship came out of would have to be sometime a while after both classes had been seeing wide service (a couple sources I've been able to dig up say that new excelsior class ships were being constructed through the Ambassador run and for ten or so years beyond), The Galaxy class would have been in the design phase and on the horizon, Both classes production runs would be near final completion. The engineers would have wanted something to fill in the gap till the new Galaxy class came online. It makes sense that they would have wanted to use existing components given those circumstances as the Forthcoming Galaxy was a Huge leap in design theory, and size, unlike anything before. They would have been using all resources to gear up for this and wouldn't want to allocate much to an intermediate class.

LOL, I have successfully come up with an entire back story for a fictional fan-made ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-06-2011, 07:23 PM
what? why when?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Holy gigantic signature batman!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-06-2011, 07:56 PM
if the forum code allows something like that to be uploaded, whos doing it wrong the most?